The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Cartomizer "Booties"/"Condoms"

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by RamAir02, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. RamAir02

RamAir02 Full Member

Jun 15, 2011
    New York, NY
    Just a quick question...

When I refill my cartos, is it advised to keep them in the rubber "booties" or "condoms" to keep them fresh? Or can I just fill them and throw them in my travel case uncovered? Will they dry out quicker or go stale?

Thanks

2. Kbut655

Kbut655 Guest

I always re-cap cartomizers with the rubber tips.
    Nicotine loses it's kick when exposed to air + I don't have to worry about leaks in my pocket.:vapor:

3. unsure

unsure ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

I dont use them anymore but common sense would be to keep them capped.

4. Thank You

Thank You Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Orlando
    i keep them capped.

5. brittanyNI

brittanyNI Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2011
    New England
    Cap them.

There are a number of reasons for this, but first consider the nature of a cartomizer is such that liquid is held in a matrix with an immense surface area. Not all of that surface area is exposed to air, but a lot more than you'd think. So air can really get to the content.

Some e-liquid has some water content to facilitate flow. If the humidity is less than 100%, over time that water will evaporate. That's problem one. Not all e-liquid contains water, though -- but there are other problems.

If the e-liquid contains no water, it will actually absorb water and dilute the juice if the humidity is very high at all.

The biggest problems are oxidation and volatilization.

I don't really know what flavoring compounds are used. Some will only oxidize at all at quite high temperatures; but others may oxidize a little at a time at lower temperatures; and this oxidation will hurt the flavor.

Think of it like wine. Wine is really a very complex substance -- that old equation from high school where the sugar gets converted to ethyl alcohol only tells a tiny part of the story. Also created are a variety of higher alcohols, ketones, aldehydes and esters in a mix that will vary depending upon the pH of the starting juice, the temperature of fermentation, the time that has elapsed and more. Wine actually changes chemically over time. But one thing practically all authorities agree upon with the exception of a couple of unique varieties is that exposure to air (even if it is filtered to keep out microbes) hurts the flavor of wine by disrupting these substances through oxidation.

The flavorings used in a cartomizer are similar -- they are likely composed of a good many substances of that nature that are overall reasonably stable but that when exposed to oxygen over a long period of time will change. Thus the flavor will change.

Nicotine will also oxidize which adversely affects its effectiveness.

Then there is the fact that even though something might not theoretically vaporize until it reaches a certain temperature, minute amounts will vaporize at lower temperatures. Thus, you will lose some flavoring components over time.

So I say that if you are going to play, be safe and use the condom. The flavor and effectiveness will be much improved!

6. Wildhorse187

Wildhorse187 Full Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Philly
    They will dry out and prolly leak

7. RamAir02

RamAir02 Full Member

Jun 15, 2011
    New York, NY
    Thanks for the quick responses and info everyone! This forum rocks! I will use the "condoms" on the cartos that are not currently in use.

8. swedishfish

swedishfish Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 28, 2010
    NJ
    I keep them in a tupperware type container. Capped or uncapped.

9. johnlacie

johnlacie Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2011
    -
    Sadly, I threw away the caps with the one my friend gave me to try out. I won't make the same mistake again.

10. Dauyd

Dauyd Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 4, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I cap them. Actually, I wish I had some extra caps for the cartridges that came with my kit so I could cap the other end on those, too. Just for leak prevention, if nothing else.

11. Iffy

Iffy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Florida Suncoast
    Another consideration is temperature difference. I can guarantee that a cart/carto filled to proper capacity in your A/C'd home will leak if left in your vehicle while shopping, etc. They may even leak a bit if properly capped.

Don't ask me how I know... :facepalm:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.