Cartomizer vs. Carto with Atty for Ego???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Alabama
Being new to e-cigs, I have a lot of questions. This is one at the forefront of my mind.

My husband and I just ordered 2 starter kits of the ego with the 650 battery. (his is blue, mine is purple) The supplier actually messed up our order some and sent both of us eGo T batteries, and sent me a tank system while providing him with a traditional eGo. Not really complaining, because now we can try both systems. The tank seems to be working pretty well for me after burning off the yuck flavor from the atty. I've seen some people (vets) talk about using cartomizers with the ego (which should also thread fine for both of our batteries). Would I need a new cone as mine is an eGo-T cone? Is it better to have cartomizers, refill them till they die with the same flavor, etc...or keep a heavy stock of attys and use cartridges. Also, how do drip tips work? I feel like there are so many options and I don't know what the ups and downs of any of them are, and do not want to break the bank trying to figure it out. Any help will be appreciated!

Serpent67

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Smoky Mountains
Cartomizers are so much easier and cheaper than the messy carts that need atomizers and sometimes leak.

Cartomizers you fill and go, maybe adding a few drips along the way so it doesnt get dry and then chuck it in the trash when its outlived itself.

To each their own though, but I learned quickly with my ego starter kit that the refillable cartridges that drip into an atomizer were just not going to do it for me.

I still use cartomizers along with my rebuildable atty on my big batt mods after moving from the egos.

Cant beat em.

1atom12

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Order a regular eGo cone for yours and order a bunch of Boge LR cartomizers for the both of you... I would recommend stainless steel to make them look nice with your purple and blue setups... Cartridges basically stink compared to cartomizers... Buy a box or two of Boges and report back...

B4DJ1N64N

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
Indonesia
Cartos are great with ego batts, especially low ohms cartos (2.0 ohm or lower), boge lr carto are the best match for ego IMHO. Some people prefers Dual coils cartos, you could try them too. The original ego come with 2 pcs of 510 standard resistance atty, keep them for backup. If you want to drip, get the low resistant 510 atty or 306 low resistant atty (i prefer the later). Buy some 510 driptips, and a couple 306 driptips (if you buyin 306 atty). Anyway, congratulation to you both.

Sent from my mind using my fingers.

Corley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Alabama
I know this is dumb, but do the cones fit over the cartomizers?

Also, how do the mechanics of the drip tips work? I know my tanks are punctured by the atty that's built into the cone on my eGo-T. So how do you get a drip tip to, well, drip?

Also, if I get an eGo cone, will it matter what color the carto is or will it be covered by the cone?

1atom12

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
The carto will stick out of the cone, that's why I suggested a stainless steel finish for them. No cost difference. The cone on your husband's should work fine with cartos... You will need a new purple ego cone for yours... Your tank cone won't work...

Also, how do the mechanics of the drip tips work? I know my tanks are punctured by the atty that's built into the cone on my eGo-T. So how do you get a drip tip to, well, drip?

Also, if I get an eGo cone, will it matter what color the carto is or will it be covered by the cone?

Phreaker

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2010
Raleigh, NC

Not dumb. The cones fit over most cartomizers, but not all. I have gotten some clearomizers (clear catomizers) where the cone with not fit over them. The real odd thing is that in the same box the cone fit over some of them. :) I haven't had a boge that they didn't fit over though. Also, the cones are not needed with a cartomizer, but they do give the e-cig a more finished look.

A drip tip simply replaces a cartridge for the cartridge/atomizer combo. It's basically a cartridge with a much larger hole on the mouthpiece that allows you to drip drops of juice through it right onto the atomizer. In practice, I still pop them off the atty and drip into the atty and put it back on...

A tiny bit of the normal sized cartomizer will stick out of the cone, about 1/4 inch or so. If you use an XL (extra long) one maybe a an inch or so sticks out.

Cartomizers don't come with any tip usually. The just have a small piece of plastic or rubber inside capping off the end. You can however pull that out and put a drip tip on.

Last edited:

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
I tried duals on my ego batts and they sucked. 3.7 V is not enough to power em.

The Boge or XL SS resurrectors LR 2.0 ohms on a 650 mAh 510 connection ego battery will keep you away from analogs. :)

The eGo is 3.3-3.4V, not 3.7V.

Dual coils work alittle better on 3.7V PVs like the E-Power, kGo, or newer Rivas, but they still arnt great. I find dual coils only really shine when used in the 4-5V range. For the eGo I would get some Boge 2.0ohm cartos bc they are def the best and most popular carto for the eGo.
The cones will fit over regular cartos fine, but they do not fit over most clearos bc the clearos have a slightly larger diameter bc of the plastic tube. You dont have to necessarily use the cone though if you dont want to. They can restrict the airflow alittle and they are mostly for looks, but they do help some in protecting the threading. I have an E-Power and never use the cone. I did at first, but then realized I didnt care how it looked and the airflow was better without it

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
BTW carto = cartomizer, cart = cartridge (what goes on an atomizer)

And Egos are not 3.7v. They are 3.4v switching regulated
Some Ego-look clones with their own names are 3.7v

Many start on atomizer and cartridge which is fine when it works right and when the atomizer is new. But it can be a cranky method, sometimes dumping juice in your mouth. And atomizers degrade or can die.

Most people end up preferring cartomizers for everyday vaping and the most popular are simple Boge 510 2 ohm cartomizers (or if you want a cooler vape and more life out of the battery charge, the 3 ohm ones). Cartomizers have limited lives but if you keep them damp so the stuffing doesn't singe, many can get a week or more use out of each. Many find it helps to use a plastic or delrin drip tip as a mouthpiece on cartomizer instead of the endcap - easy to remove to check if the stuffing has gone light-colored and could use some juice, and with carto off battery it's easy to remove to add juice (easier than prying out an endcap). Plus the drip tip give a wider stream of vapor.

A normal 510 atomizer and drip tip is great at home for testing new juices, vaping occasional juices and any juices you like that are too thick to work well in cartomizers.

Last edited:

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
You can also use a drip tip on cartomizers to just give you a mouthpiece. It also makes it easier than the white cap to pop off and add some juice to the carto. If you vape a few different juices at the same time, using drip tips on them makes it easier to tell which juice is on each carto bc you can put a different colored drip tip on each

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread