CASAA: New study confirms that chemicals in electronic cigarettes pose minimal health risk

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
I guess what I'm asking is if anyone knows how the results compare to exposure from just walking down the street on a given day.

Not a scientist, here, but off the top of my head, I'm guessing it would be almost impossible to estimate on-the-street exposure rates, since components would tend to vary widely depending on location and would probably vary widely minute to minute in the same location.

That being said, I have seen somewhere a comparison of vapor constituents to allowable OSHA workplace levels. Darned if I can find the link just now, tho...

Digital Man

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Debary, Florida
smiley-music012.gif Now that deserves a smiley party!!

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Not a scientist, here, but off the top of my head, I'm guessing it would be almost impossible to estimate on-the-street exposure rates, since components would tend to vary widely depending on location and would probably vary widely minute to minute in the same location.

That being said, I have seen somewhere a comparison of vapor constituents to allowable OSHA workplace levels. Darned if I can find the link just now, tho...

I was thinking more along the lines of those elemental particles and gases as a comparison to those found in breathing air on the street in daily life. It would be interesting to see what the average baselines were for most of them if you stand next to an idling bus, for example, or walk down a city street during a busy traffic period.

When I get a little more time, I want to read through the entire report. It apparently addresses each of the results of the spectrograph tests and talks to them in terms of what the readings mean. There's one mention of a higher formaldehyde reading taken when a smoker who was also a vaper was tested as compared to non-smoking vapers who scored much lower, insignificant readings in the testing chamber.

Last edited:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Awesome, welcomed news! Thanks to all the CASAA BOD for getting us this far along! Hope to see you all at VaperCon 3 in November (reserve your rooms now, I did!)! I so enjoyed our open meeting last year at VaperCon, hopefully we can have that again!

Room reserved, and I'm bringing Kurt along because you would kick my .... if I didn't.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Having scanned the documented test results, it's unclear how the PPM ratings for chemicals in vapor relate to clean air, air on a city street, or air quality allowed in various public buildings. I guess what I'm asking is if anyone knows how the results compare to exposure from just walking down the street on a given day.

Most were in the .00x PPM range. I'm thinking that it's practically nothing, but there were additional calculations in the rightmost columns that really didn't provide clarity to the test results. I'm wondering if those were considered trace results or additions caused by atomization of eliquid. Most, if not all, seem to be within the allowed ranges.

I'm sure someone like James Repace or any number of the quacks from sunny California Universities could set up equipment on any given street at any time of the day and find not only dangerous levels of SHS but also equivalent numbers for nic vapor. They've specialized in that science.

I just had to share this on my facebook (let's face it, the faster the word spreads in this regards, the BETTER!)

This is indeed excellent news in regards to vaping. I hope that someday, in some way, there will be a reasonable site (maybe ECF?) that will have a list of batteries, cartomizers/atomizers/tanks/etc..., and everything sorted and in a list of what 'works with what' (maybe there is and I missed it?) so that people who are new to vaping will be able to make sound decisions on what they purchase for what they are looking for.

Either way, I am still glad that this news came out. It makes me MUCH more comfortable vaping!

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I just had to share this on my facebook (let's face it, the faster the word spreads in this regards, the BETTER!)

This is indeed excellent news in regards to vaping. I hope that someday, in some way, there will be a reasonable site (maybe ECF?) that will have a list of batteries, cartomizers/atomizers/tanks/etc..., and everything sorted and in a list of what 'works with what' (maybe there is and I missed it?) so that people who are new to vaping will be able to make sound decisions on what they purchase for what they are looking for.

Either way, I am still glad that this news came out. It makes me MUCH more comfortable vaping!

Just finishing an hour of the morning news from Philly TV. As fast as the get information out about anything negative, I was hoping the city where Drexel is located might at least give us a snippet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread