Not open for further replies.

ApOsTle51

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
UK
500 mA is the quoted USB spec AFAIK, per port
usb 2.0 standard says 1.5 amps if there is external power, 100 mA unsupported

USB devices may draw up to 100 mA before "negotiation" with the host, after which they may draw up to what the host gives them permission to draw, which is limited to 500 mA due to physical interface requirements

The negotiation requires exchange of information between the devices over the bus.

where the hell you get 1.5 Amps unsupported

ofcourse i havent made a usb cable so i best ...., i know nothing ....apparently,
i always thought thats what forums where for..discussion..not the "I KNOW BEST SO SHUT IT" mentality...jeez Bastage it's not a personal attack ..chill

my bad

people are right , this place is starting to get like touchpaper

Last edited:

ApOsTle51

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
UK
no your usb on the back of your pc runs from your motherboard power. a powered usb would be like a usb hub that you plug into the mains for the extra power needed.

i wasnt saying that they will go bang , just pointing out the possibility. All depends on how much ampage the cig is drawing, what protection is built into it and how good your motherboard's USB protection is.

Bastage

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2008
Houston, TX
Wasn't a personal attack. Didn't mean for you to get upset I wasn't trying to slight you in any way. It's pretty easy to get the spec mixed up because there are many different types of devices. I got the 1.5a max from the USB power/charging specification since there are no data pins for power negotiation it's running directly off the +5 power and the data pins are not utilized in this config. Either way I highly doubt the atomizer needs 1.5 or even 1A to operate. The nonstandard devices spec for USB states that without negotiation the unit can supply up to 1A of current so there are some differences in the spec and it's not really straight forward. There's always a chance you could short something out and fry a port, especially with these homemade devices. With the direct USB mod at least...I haven't personally had any problems with the two I use, and other people seem to be doing fine with theirs, so IMO the risk is low as long as you take your time and do the mod correctly. There are countless protection schemes if damaging your port is a concern.

Last edited:

dablackanarch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2008
Seattle, USA
Wasn't a personal attack. Didn't mean for you to get upset I wasn't trying to slight you in any way. It's pretty easy to get the spec mixed up because there are many different types of devices. I got the 1.5a max from the USB power/charging specification since there are no data pins for power negotiation it's running directly off the +5 power and the data pins are not utilized in this config. Either way I highly doubt the atomizer needs 1.5 or even 1A to operate. The nonstandard devices spec for USB states that without negotiation the unit can supply up to 1A of current so there are some differences in the spec and it's not really straight forward. There's always a chance you could short something out and fry a port, especially with these homemade devices. With the direct USB mod at least...I haven't personally had any problems with the two I use, and other people seem to be doing fine with theirs, so IMO the risk is low as long as you take your time and do the mod correctly. There are countless protection schemes if damaging your port is a concern.

QFT. I've actually reworked my USB mod to sink the switch inside the DSE901b battery case and to heatshrink everything. It looks way better and performs beyond anything a battery can do. I was getting the Windoze pop-up about my port shutting down due to power issues. It turns out that my newly acquired soldering skills were ineffective in ensuring I had a proper ground wire connection. After heat shrinking all my soldered connections and reworking (damn I'm getting good at soldering) my ground, I've had not a single problem since.

Here's a picture of my revision.

my.php

It looks loads better and works awesome.

EDIT: This is a straight USB to atomizer mod. No batteries nor voltage regulation. I'm running directly off of the power bus on my laptop with no issues.

tpboles

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2008
AL, USA
Since 11-5-08 I have bought 3 901 kits (all came with 2 batteries), and bought one xtra with the first order. After a week one of the batteries was dead. Contacted Steve and he replaced it. So now I had 8 batteries in hand and one of those was bad. After another few days the battery troubles continued 3 more dead. Sent Steve the 3 bad ones (there was 4 total, but one was a replacement). After sending the 3 bad one 2 more have died. So out of 8 batteries and a little over a month I only have 3 good batteries left!

Oh and bought a 901 black kit that I love, and now both the black batteries are dead. Having to use white and pink with it now. It's just not that cool with the white or pink!

Steve's customer service has been great, so I am sure he will take care of these issues. I hope he isn't having to eat the dead batteries. Maybe his supplier will give him credit.

One other question. I wanted to post a review of the 901's in the review section of the forums and it will not let me post. Do I have to have a certain number of post before I can start my own thread?

sixstring

ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2008
SW Ga. USA
www.kdpconline.com
so how is the puresmoker usb holding up? I really would like to order one for my 901.

I've been using it all day at work for the past 3-4 days. So far so good. Just like an almost fully charged bat, all day long. No harm to the compy, and this is a USB 1.0 motherboard with 4 ports and 3 other devices plugged in...

Bastage

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2008
Houston, TX
Thanks, I just wondered if this would be as durable and produce as much vapor as making a DIY.

The auto switch is likely the same one they use in their regular batteries so I'd say probably not at least on the switch side of things. It's likely they lower the voltage to 3.7, of course 5v produces more vapor. Since the auto switch is there, it probably has auto clean cycles and limitations on draw time. Again I haven't tried it but would bet they operate similar to the standard bettery but use USB power instead. BUT... for those that don't want to tackle the DIY version this may be a great easy alternative. Will be nice to see what others have to say about it. If anyone has comments on auto clean and time limitation post up!

Last edited:

Mommyshann

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2008
Florida, USA
Hello all! :) Sorry I've been MIA lately...been a very busy week or so for me with my daughter's birthday and Christmas coming up and work. I just wanted to let you all know that I was also given the honor of being a beta tester for Cash's new usb. Mine is for my mini and I absolutely LOVE it. As a work-at-home mom, I use nothing but my usb all day, every day and have been doing so for just over a week now. It's been fantastic. No more fighting to keep batt's charged or dropping off of vapor as the battery starts going dead. My only issue was that I kept vaping too much so I had to get some no-nic liquid in order not to od on the stuff. ;) As someone else already mentioned, the betas were a little wobbly where the threads met, however from what I understand this was an issue with the betas only and should be fixed with the finals that he has for sale. As for the power in the usb compared to a fully charged battery...I prefer the usb. It gives me nice consistent vapor (especially when dripping) and hasn't harmed any of the 3 atomizers i've been rotating on it. As a matter of fact, I really beleive it has helped them. One of those vaporizers had gotten a bit weak and is now going strong again. I'll be ordering one of these soon for my pen as well.

Thanks Cash for allowing me to test this and for making them available here. I can guarantee that anyone who tries it will love it! :thumb:

Kimmiegrif

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2008
Maryland USA
I ordered one today....I can't wait to get it. That is one of the things I love best about my kissbox...now, oh boy! I will have it for my 901...that is certainly one dream come true! Steve you kept talking about a usb and when we asked you if it was just charging the batt or you were vaping off it...you said...you never know!

futbol9

ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2008
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just received my penstyle from puresmoker and man let me tell u is working awsome. lots of vapor and nice throat hit with low nic cartriges. Hopefully stays this way. I am a very light smoker so hopefully my atomizer last longer than u guys. Thank you steve for your fast shipping and for the extra cartriges By the way this is marco. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread