CC Compromised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yves

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Matamata, New Zealand
Some accounts will do that. Some will instead pay a legitimate looking transaction and then charge the account-holder a penalty or hold or grab funds from other accounts. If enough bad (fraud-filed) paid or unpaid transactions are made I suspect there would be a risk of being refused further cards or accounts. So while I agree with you it's a better option than nothing, I think there are still downsides.

Either way, glad you haven't been victimized!

Maybe you have different rules in America the bank here advised me to do it this way to prevent any fraud of my card. The banks here will cover any losses for fraud on your accounts. I have other CCs that I use every day, this one is just for on line purchases where I am not sure if it is safe.

Yes I think I am very lucky and feel for those who are having this problem. Hopefully the guide will help others to protect themselves.

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
I did get hit today. I am finding out they are trading/or sitting on these numbers. I could say it was from a ecig vendor but I cannot. I am sure it was from a processor. They had my number, address, and a old cell phone number. I thought I was immune since I usually check the account daily. This week I didn't and that is when they hit. I did track the cell phone number and its use to two online non ecf vendors/businesses. My bank po'd me by approving 3 purchases when I only had 25.00 in the internet only account. Why yes they gave me overdraft protection. Well I canceled the card and started the paperwork.

I will be using a pre-paid from now on.

According to a federal law if it is reported as fraud one only has to pay out the first 50.00. That still leaves a somewhat diminished outlook for my online purchases. I only use the card for ecig related products. They made a pay pal account for me. LOL I had to call pay pal an have this account flagged since it does not belong to me. (Hacker's are really good.)

Of course the hacker/s decided to purchase some hacking software with my money. The bank seen the webpage.

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
<snip>
According to a federal law if it is reported as fraud one only has to pay out the first 50.00. That still leaves a somewhat diminished outlook for my online purchases. I only use the card for ecig related products. They made a pay pal account for me. LOL I had to call pay pal an have this account flagged since it does not belong to me. (Hacker's are really good.)
<snip>

If you get a card from a company or institution that offers Fraud Protection then you need not worry about the first $50 as well. In the last 6 six years I have had my various cards hacked 4 times. Although it was a very minor hassle resolving the matter with each company, I suffered no financial loss. I can't see why you would be liable for the first $50 anyways since the card company just does a charge back to the merchant that originally accepted the stolen card number.

One thing I did do after my first card was hacked....... I created a log-in account for each of my cards on their prospective websites and took advantage of their e-mail alerts. I have my alerts set is to notify me of any transactions involving the cards much like PayPal does. This method does create a little more e-mail, but you now have the ability to stop the hackers when they are usually testing the card with small purchases.

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
If you get a card from a company or institution that offers Fraud Protection then you need not worry about the first $50 as well. In the last 6 six years I have had my various cards hacked 4 times. Although it was a very minor hassle resolving the matter with each company, I suffered no financial loss. I can't see why you would be liable for the first $50 anyways since the card company just does a charge back to the merchant that originally accepted the stolen card number.

One thing I did do after my first card was hacked....... I created a log-in account for each of my cards on their prospective websites and took advantage of their e-mail alerts. I have my alerts set is to notify me of any transactions involving the cards much like PayPal does. This method does create a little more e-mail, but you now have the ability to stop the hackers when they are usually testing the card with small purchases.

This was not a CC it was a debit.

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
This was not a CC it was a debit.

Ok, I understand now.

By chance is your debit card also link to a major credit card company like Visa or Master Card? My debit card has such a link and purchases can be made as a debit or credit. I find it a most useful way for on-line ordering since a credit purchase offers the fraud protection.

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
Ok, I understand now.

By chance is your debit card also link to a major credit card company like Visa or Master Card? My debit card has such a link and purchases can be made as a debit or credit. I find it a most useful way for on-line ordering since a credit purchase offers the fraud protection.
Visa I had to go to the bank again today. Since they keep adding charges-the bank for it being overdrawn. They assured me that it was just a automated charge and it would be reversed. I signed the correct forms and it was there fault they let 3 charges go thru. Enough I would hire a lawyer on principle. Right now the bank is on my poop list. However, they may be right and I am just ocd'ing a touch.

Oh, thanks for reminding me of that...these purchases (by Mr. or Mrs Hacker) was made via internet. At least it was a credit use. So I may have protection.

Last edited:

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
<snip>

Oh, thanks for reminding me of that...these purchases (by Mr. or Mrs Hacker) was made via internet. At least it was a credit use. So I may have protection.

If you have a Visa debit then you have no worry. It usually will take 5 to 9 days, but eventually the charges will be reverse along with any fees that were imposed such as overdraft protection.

A rule of thumb to remember:

Purchases made using the PIN number....... fraud problems are between you and the bank and can be tough to resolve.

Purchases made using the credit portion on your debit card...... you have fraud protection with most major credit card companies.

Another thing to keep in mind is if you are making a purchase in public and don't feel comfortable using your PIN, you can always run the purchase as a credit transaction. That way you do not have to worry about strangers with-in eye shot.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I haven't been hacked yet, although there was one incident where I left my card on the table at a restaurant after signing the charge ticket. Of course, no one could find it when I went back to retrieve it. I suppose it was picked up by someone with ill intentions. I went to the bank, cancelled it, and they sent me a new one.

I like the Visa debit card idea and mine is a Visa. The problem is that my main debit card is linked to my checking account. I have alerts set up on all my cards and I get emails on my CC for all transactions. Of course, that's after the fact, but it gives you the ability to challenge anything invalid immediately.

I suppose the pre-paid card is the best solution. Transferring funds to those requires the involvement of another account number for the transfer, though. Security is really becoming necessary these days.

Weird things happen. I got a notification from Facebook that someone logged onto my FB account from a city in Asia using a mobile device. I immediately changed and hardened my FB password and nothing else has happened there. It does make you wonder why and how someone would obtain that information. LinkedIn was hacked recently and lots of passwords were stolen. I used the same social site password there. That's probably how my FB account was probed. I now have different and lengthier passwords for those.

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
I suppose the pre-paid card is the best solution. Transferring funds to those requires the involvement of another account number for the transfer, though. Security is really becoming necessary these days.

As much as I hate walmart, I use the walmart money card for online transactions and fill it with cash when I want to make an online pruchase. Walmarts are everywhere so it is pretty convenient

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
I just wanted to update. I signed my forms last Wed. Today I checked my account and all of the fraudulent charges were gone. I still feel uneasy about using a debit. (Even though Visa made it good.) I did not have to pay anything. I would not expect to as well.

@oldsoldier. Do you have a link to the prepaid wally world card? I did a search. However, I could only find credit cards.

I did report to paypal the impersonation of my character. Obviously, the bank contacted them as well. I just want folks to know that hackers can make up accounts in your name.

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
Does anyone know if it's possible to load Greendot accounts online? My bank offers a prepaid card, but only for teens. :\ Tho they're always open to suggestions, so I might see if I can start a thread on their site about prepaid cards for online shopping ... or virtual card numbers, which I like the best.

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
I have occasionally had issues processing CC branded gift cards at my hotel. Seems that if they're used at a hotel, some issuers will try and place an additional hold of like 25% of whatever the transaction price is on the card. The logic being for potential incidentals or what not. Done by the issuer, not the hotel. Don't know if such applies to Greendot, and while not related to vape shopping, just wanted to toss out an observation.

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
the walmart card hasn't had any issues for me. I've used it to buy beer, food, gas, internet domains, hosting service, android apps, and vape supplies.

A tip though - if you buy gas, prepay inside so they won't put a hold on the card. pay at pump stations sometimes do this.

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
I have occasionally had issues processing CC branded gift cards at my hotel. Seems that if they're used at a hotel, some issuers will try and place an additional hold of like 25% of whatever the transaction price is on the card. The logic being for potential incidentals or what not. Done by the issuer, not the hotel. Don't know if such applies to Greendot, and while not related to vape shopping, just wanted to toss out an observation.

From my experience it is the hotel that will pre-authorize the extra percentage for incidentals and not the issuer. The hotels go with the assumption that most folks will use the mini-bar, charge a meal to their room, view a movie, etc. They just want to make sure you have the additional line of credit to cover those charges. Once you have checked out, the pre-authorized amount is returned to your available credit limit. Hotels do this for all types of charge card so if you are planning a stay it's best to use a real credit card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread