The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

So your bank has told you your card is compromised

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by retired1, Sep 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. LoriP1702

LoriP1702 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Glad you asked this, I'm curious as well.
    We use Microsoft Security Essentials here at home.
    Years ago, we used a higher tier version of Norton.
    Where I work, they use McAfee, and I haven't been impressed (at all), at least not for what it charges, and for what seems to slip through, but in all fairness, it's no telling what some are clicking on/opening.

2. LoriP1702

Supporting member
    The issue I really find disturbing is the ransomeware, I think it's called.
    They've had that twice in the last year at work.
    Maybe three times.

3. retired1

retired1 Administrator Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    On the rare occasion I need to be in Windows, I like Bitdefender. It's very good and unobtrusive. McAfee, Norton, AVG, etc. Nope. Not on my machines. Especially AVG. They're selling your info to third parties now.

Ransomware is a whole different ballgame and most often relies on social engineering to deliver the payload to the machine. There are just too many users who will blindly click on an attachment without verifying the email's authenticity.

At least once a week, we get tickets via email with malicious payloads. Usually in the form of fake shipping manifests. This is a common route that criminals will take to deliver malicious payloads. And far too often, it works. Especially if the company deals with shipping companies on a regular basis.

It doesn't take much to figure out if an email is legitimate or not (just read the email headers). Forged headers are easily detected.

• Like Like x 2
  4. LoriP1702

Supporting member
    And that is most likely what could be happening where I work.
    The owner, our boss is the worst offender. We've tried to threaten him within an inch of his life, NOT to open ANYTHING (almost) without asking.
    ESPECIALLY NOT A ZIP FILE!!! :facepalm:
    I work for a John Deere dealership, so yeah, LOADS of attached files coming and going.

I try to always remember to either check, or at least, hover over the email addy to look for any forged headers.
    Although, I couldn't have come up with the proper terminology for what they are, (forged headers) but I can sure spot one easy enough. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. gerrymi

gerrymi Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 12, 2013
    The 'Burgh, PA.
    R1...what are your thoughts on using an Anti-ransomware program...

Considering the havoc ransomware can cause...$6.73/year seems like a pretty small price to pay???

Get a 3-user WinAntiRansom license for $8.98

6. retired1

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    Meh. Rather than purchasing something that may or may not work, using common sense, keeping your system up to date, and not opening attachments from unverified senders is much cheaper and better in the long run.

• Like Like x 5
  7. retired1

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    Well, isn't this just special!!

How hackers can guess your credit card information in just 6 seconds

Apparently applies to Visa only.

• Like Like x 2
  8. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Ty for the info. Still watching CTV? Homesick?

9. retired1

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    Naw. I have numerous feeds coming into my start.me page. Better to have multiple sources of information. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mice Elf

Mice Elf Senior Member Verified Member

I'm grateful for ApplePay now that Safari can use it for web sites; now we just have to see how many sites beyond Amazon will utilize it.

11. retired1

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    Considering Apply Pay is unique to Apple devices only, don't get your hopes up that it will be widely adopted anytime soon. Most sites are going to shell out the fees for a solution that's usable "cross platform" rather than catering to a specific subsection of mobile users.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gramdogg

Gramdogg Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 22, 2016
    Fredericton NB Canada
    This is why I use prepaid cards online with a set amount before buying. At worst they'll get the .65c I have left over on it lol.

13. Mice Elf

Mice Elf Senior Member Verified Member

Right, but there are no merchant costs to using ApplePay.

14. retired1

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    RansomFree is the free program that protects your PC against ransomware

I gave this a test run for about 2 months. It drove Malwarebytes positively nuts and I wasn't too impressed with the program's insistence on writing files all over the hard drive (including the desktop which I absolutely despise).

However, it does seem to be a pretty decent program and the price is right (free).

So.. For those of you that tend to blindly click on things before you check it out, this may be a decent protection against ransomware.

15. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  16. LynnNC

LynnNC ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 1, 2014
    NC
    What about if you're using Apple products? iPad and iPhone.

17. retired1

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    Sorry, can't really say much about supporting Apple products as I've never owned anything from Apple (and never will).

18. mcclintock

mcclintock Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2014
    Windows Security Essentials (free) stopped some ransomware on Vista for me a couple months ago. Watch out for odd matches to your search terms that go to a page with nothing but a download on it. They're putting in terms like model numbers that you wouldn't think anyone would bother with.

I thought they took McAfee's name off of Intel antivirus. He said he was relieved, while McAfee was the first, he said by then it was the worst.

19. Fozzy71

Fozzy71 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5
    This is all most people need if you have half a brain. It is all I have used since it came out since most everything else most people use cause conflicts with the software I do tech support for.

20. retired1

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.