Status
Not open for further replies.

drummerskey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2012
little birdhouse in your soul
define leaking.......is it all gushing out right after a fill, leaking constantly vaping or not or leaking while you are vaping?

If it is when you are vaping, what is the level of the juice when it leaks or does it vary?

Did you take it apart first?

My CE3s commonly leak when they get between a 1/2 and a 1/4 left. The wick holes get flooded for some reason and juice gets on the battery post. I have only had one leak completely out. It isn't a lot but you hear the gurgle and then check the battery and a little juice is there. I usually can solve the problem in one of two ways.....fill it back up or turn the CE3 so that one wick is clear of juice (holding it horizontally when I vape) and that solves the problem.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Leaks in CE3s are caused by air getting into the main tube from a couple of different places. Cracks in the barrel itself, a bad inner silicon seal (usually the needle hole tears) or at the base where the barrel mounts to the metal. A CE3, and a T3 or any other bottom coil delivery device, rely on surface tension and pressure equalization. The only air path permissible is through the wick system and you can see small bubbles of air moving in the barrel while vaping. Air that can enter the tube anywhere else, bad seals or crack anywhere, will cause them to leak. Contrary to popular belief, there is no vacuum inside a CE3, T3 or any other bottom coil delivery system.

Just my opinion, worth what you're paying for it. Your results and mileage may vary. No warranty or guarantee is expressed or implied. Proceed at your own risk.

reg190

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2013
Poconos, PA
Yea that disclaimer didn't help but thanks? I've had the ce3 sitting on my desk battery port down and noticed no leak when not in use near the battery port but a small leak up top, and only it was no where near the needle hole and seemed like it was somehow leaking through the small gap between the plastic and the silicone seal. I don't believe I tore the needle hole although I suppose it is possible but there is no liquid near or in the hole so I doubt it.

reg190

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2013
Poconos, PA
CE3s leak, its just what they do lol

bets vape out of any device I've tried so far but requires the most maintenance.

I've used an entire pack with no problems I love SI I'm just wondering what could cause the problem I'm very careful with them so maybe I just got a dud? I just don't get why it's leaking through the battery end while in use and the top when not in use especially since it's not leaking through the needle hole.

Harplayr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Florida

bets vape out of any device I've tried so far but requires the most maintenance.
Been using them for months now, hundreds of fills..As awsum says they only leak when air gets in. I take care on the first punch through on my first fill and vape them for an average of a month without leaking. One of the things I love about these is that they DON'T leak when used properly.

drummerskey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2012
I take long, hard pulls on the CE3 and it is not uncommon for me to get juice in between the seal and mouth piece. As Awsum said, it is suction and there is usually some juice that also collects around the needle hold but I don't know if that is the reason for the juice in the mouth piece and it more likely came through the air tube. Since you need to inhale the vapor, and the vapor is produced from the heating of the juice and must make it's way to the air tube, there is no way to make it "water sealed". Long, hard pulls can also be the reason why you get juice on the battery post.

However, in my experience; if it leaks when not in use......there are only a few reasons: 1. you filled it incorrectly 2. you took it apart and put it back together incorrectly 3. it is defective and passed quality control (just toss it) or 4. you have some cracks in the tube itself (really this is #3-1). So.....

If it is 1. make sure you fill it upside down and pull the needle out while it is upside down - if this is a "refill", use the needle to pull out the air first, make sure there are no air bubbles in the syringe before you put juice in.

2. The air post needs to seat firmly in, I have found that getting the seal wet before putting it back gets a better fit and be careful not to crack the tube when you pry the battery post or seal out (you can hold it to the light)

3. Once you buy these, you will likely have spare parts. If you have a cracked tube, replace the tube with a spare one that isn't. If your seal is bad, get a new seal. If what you have is a dud, figure out what is broken and put is aside for spare parts.

If it leaks when you use it, you are probably like me and taking harder pulls - hence the leak. I also see a lot of stress cracks near the barrel (battery post side) when being assembled on recent orders. This is what Awsum was explaining. air gets in through the stress cracks and floods the wicks, getting it into the air hole and down to the battery. Try what I mentioned, when it gets below 1/3 or when it starts to leak.....roll the CE3 horizontally until one wick is covered with juice and the other is clear of the juice and that should stop the leaking and/or just re-fill it. If it does it when it is full....it is a dud or one of 3 above.

As Tramd said, CE3s do leak but they are; in my opinion, the best of the options.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
I don't know. I have thirty CE3s in use at the moment and no leaks other than standard condensation on the battery. No gurgles or mouthfuls of liquid either. I can't figure out what's happening unless you guys are pulling so hard and long that you're actually pulling liquid, un-vaporized, in through the wicks, aka exceeding the capacity of the coil.

On another note, a T3 is also a bottom coil device, very easy to fill right out of a bottle, and works on a 78mm if you use an 808/Ego adapter. They also have replaceable coil assemblies. The only qualifier I can add is that I'm talking about a Kanger T3 since the thread system is different on an SI T3. The T3 is very easy to clean and maintain and have triple the capacity of a CE3. Just sayin....

drummerskey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2012
I think it is a combination. There have been a good deal of stress cracks on my recent buys and I have always "power smoked". I guess I just have super-human lungs.....because I am awesome!

I ALWAYS get a small dot of juice between the seal and mouth piece, usually once from start to finish on a CE3. I "occasionally" get some juice on the battery post but I am sure that Awsum remembers my frustrations in the beginning with the CE3s and since I started doing my little horizontal mambo trick when it gurgles, I don't get much juice on the battery post and I don't even think about doing it any more.

I pull so hard, I also commonly get a dot of juice, not condensation on the post with a clearo too. Still, I order more CE3s and I did order a T3 to replace the clearos at home because they suck to clean. If they work, I will probably get another for work and then leave it at that. I like size of a CE3 on a 78, put it in my pocket and go....and I only use other things so that I don't have to refill all the time but I wouldn't want to walk around with it.

Tramd

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2012
canada
Been using them for months now, hundreds of fills..As awsum says they only leak when air gets in. I take care on the first punch through on my first fill and vape them for an average of a month without leaking. One of the things I love about these is that they DON'T leak when used properly.

The first pack I had all ended up leaking eventually. Its not hard to use these things... I've used 2 so far with the latest revision, both leak in a worse fashion than the originals. They get low on juice and begin to drop their contents onto the battery post.

reg190

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2013
Poconos, PA

I've watched outlaw Vaper's videos and the amount of juice leaking out by the battery when in use is more than condensation for sure. I understand that some juice will collect by the mouthpiece... I know I'm new but I've also done a lot of research and have been using other CE3s with no problems. It just upsets me when I have to chuck a ce3 since that's 2 bucks down the drain.

Tramd

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2012
canada
My only theory with having these not leak for some people is that you're running through juice fast enough to keep it from leaking. I'll fill one up and it will last me at least 5 days. They vape fine until you get down to the coil housing and thats where the problems start. Most of the time its just a drop of juice on the battery but this builds up and eventually will flood the battery. I deal with this by sucking air through the CE3 while not attached and then hooking it up and vaping as usual, periodically wiping the battery post.

Sometimes I go through fills with no problem, it hasn't been the majority though especially with the newer ones.

drummerskey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2012
I would keep them for parts. Sometimes you have a coil that won't fire anymore but everything else is good. Sometimes you have a seal that is bad but..........you can Frankenstein CE3s pretty easily. True, it is $2 but the Nanos stink because they are one flavor and twice as much, the Clearos are hard to clean and can crack and they are three times as much, the cartos are one flavor period and don't last as long and they are essentially the same price. Personally, I can live with a few duds here and there.....especially getting 6 months out of some of them.

On top of that, if you get a pack of 5 and 2-3 of them are dead on arrival, SI is really good about fixing it.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
The latest iteration of the CE3 is a little disappointing to me. The coil housing is taller so the air tube is shorter which, in turn, cuts capacity forcing more refills. I have "modified" them by replacing the new air tubes with the older, longer, air tubes. This brings the capacity back up but the silicon mouthpiece has to be trimmed and, as a result, can fall out easily.

When I refill them, I generally pump three 5ml syringe worth of hot water through them, give them the old fever thermometer shake, and suck out any remaining water with a syringe. Then I fill them and put them in a .38/9mm loading block. Keep in mind I'm doing 30 at a time so they can sit in that loading block for up to a week or so. No leaks yet.

Overall, they are very economical. I'm still using a few from the first time they were offered for sale. Now, I put a label on them showing the date they went into service. I don't track the number of fills, but assuming I use four a day and fill thirty at a time, they are getting filled four times a month. At six months, a couple have been filled twenty four times already, which is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread