Ceramic Wick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayvon633

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Hillsboro Oregon
So i recently started rebuilding and need a little help figuring if i should get ceramic wicks. i was gonna order some but they went out of stock quick. my first question is how are they better? and do they last longer then the silica wicks. i prefer the silica because its hard to burn but if theres something better and possibly a little safer id prefer to use that.

Jayvon633

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Hillsboro Oregon
no funky stuff sounds nice lol i have silica from 2 different places and they both have there own taste when i first put it in. the 2mm stuff i got keeps an odd flavor but the 1mm stops tasting funky after a few drags. i think it being brittle is a little better then getting little shards of glass all over imo.

boshans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
New York, USA

-brandon-

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2013
NorCal
Disclaimer: I'm aware that taste is totally subjective - the following is my opinion

I have tried various silica, various cottons / cheese cloth, nextel, stainless steel mesh, and porous ceramic. Porous ceramic is by far the only wick solution that I have tried that does not contribute to the taste of the vape. In a word - pure.

My :2c: YMMV

Jayvon633

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Hillsboro Oregon
Disclaimer: I'm aware that taste is totally subjective - the following is my opinion

I have tried various silica, various cottons / cheese cloth, nextel, stainless steel mesh, and porous ceramic. Porous ceramic is by far the only wick solution that I have tried that does not contribute to the taste of the vape. In a word - pure.

My :2c: YMMV

Do you think it would work in a t3 or protank? I use 1mm silica wick right now cuz it's easy to wrap a coil on small screwdriver then put wick in by hand (not with needle or anything). Isn't the porous ceramic like a stick? And how do you make could for it? Around the wick itself or on something else?

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
i have been vaping the fc wicks for a few months, but in genesis attys. not sure how good they would perform in a dripper, but i think some people have had some sucess. they are alittle fragile but if your only using a smaller peice it wont be an issue. one of the biggest things you need to do is make sure your coils are very tight.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
They come in 2 diameters 7/64 and 1/8" and yes they are stiff ceramic sticks that don't bend. I've never seen a protank so I can't say if they will or not. If it's built like the T3 or Evod I can see it working with some modding but it won't be a quick type of thing, since they are hard and stiff you may have to cut the slot wider to fit and then supplement with something to keep it from leaking.

They are made to go in a Genesis style atty. I've tried a shortened one in a Phoneix RBA and it worked great when wet but dried out quick so I had to drip more often, I may revisit that and figure a way to get the liquid wicking up to it but for now I'm enjoying them in my Gennys to much to fool with it.

-brandon-

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2013
NorCal
Sorry for the slow reply. Yes people have modded the T3 to run a ceramic wick - the protank would be pretty much the same process. The biggest issue I would foresee with going with ceramic on either of those is having issues with flooding as getting a perfect seal would be / is difficult. Geni's and drippers are better suited to a rigid wick material like porous ceramic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread