The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Ceramic braided wick

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomizer Systems' started by Ben K Vincent, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Ben K Vincent

Ben K Vincent Full Member Verified Member

Dec 5, 2012
    United States
    i REALLY want some ceramic braided wick...and of course...everyone is out-of-stock. I found this:

Nextel Braided Ceramic Very High Temperature Sleeving

will this work? It's XC-116 like SnG sells...should I buy a huge spool and sell it "by the foot" and have a cottage industry?:vapor:

thanks for all the input!

2. pdib

pdib Registered Supplier - Offline ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    I'd buy some, been wanting to try it.

3. Satava

Satava Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 26, 2013
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Isn't this the same stuff people were saying needed to be kilned to not fall apart? Or is this not the crazy brittle easy to fall apart sleeving?

4. StereoDreamer

StereoDreamer Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 13, 2012
    Columbia MD
    Before using braided Nextel, you need to download the spec sheet, and understand the "conditioning" process. It needs to be heated to burn off the sizing coating they put on it as part of the manufacturing process. It is not something you want to vape unless you burn that sizing off, and by 3M's specs, it takes some pretty high temperatures to do it correctly. Unless you know someone with a ceramics kiln, or you are willing to heat it with a torch for an hour or more, this stuff is not something you can use right off the spool.

I've looked into it myself, and decided it wasn't going to be worth the trouble. If I was still in grad school (where I had friends who were grad students in ceramics, and could have kiln-treated it for me) I would have gotten a 100 ft spool an "gone vendor". But it's just a pain in the .... to process with a torch in small amounts.

All that said, it DOES vape very clean and smooth. Flavor is great, and vapor production is thick. It's the best stuff I've found, short of stainless mesh for clean flavors, and aside from the initial treatment issues, it's as easy to use s silica wick, and MUCH more durable if properly conditioned...

5. pdib

Nov 23, 2012
    What's the temp? I'm wondering if my backyard forge would work. It works for heat treating my 01 tool steel knives. So that's gotta be at least 1,350-1,400 deg., if I remember correctly.

6. StereoDreamer

Oct 13, 2012
    Columbia MD
  7. madstabber

madstabber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I just built my first coil with this stuff for my protank and it is great stuff. By the way I just got an email today saying SNG has more xc-116 in stock. Don't know for how long though.

8. StereoDreamer

Oct 13, 2012
    Columbia MD

So, are you "conditioning and cleaning" it with a torch? I HOPE you are cleaning the sizing off before you vape that stuff...

9. Ben K Vincent

Ben K Vincent Full Member Verified Member

Dec 5, 2012
    United States
    i bought both, i'll vape the SnG stuff and play with the other...torching the HELL out of the "industrial" stuff.

I'll let you know how it all works out

10. StereoDreamer

Oct 13, 2012
    Columbia MD
    For those of you who don't know who "SNG" is (I didn't and had to use my "Google-Fu"), here is a link to their website...

XC-116 Ceramic Wick - 12" Heat Treated

I've just placed an order for 3ft myself... ;-)

11. pdib

Nov 23, 2012
    Just ordered. So ▲this▲ stuff is fully heat treated? and thx for the lowdown

12. KraKsX

KraKsX Moved On

Dec 17, 2012
    Lower NY
    I just don't know if it's worth that much to me
    I just bought 100ft of kanthal 30g for less then $7 shipped [only to show I'm a cheap *******]

I'll need to see more people saying how awesome this wick is before I open my wallet for 'premium price'

13. StereoDreamer

Oct 13, 2012
    Columbia MD
    The price that SNG charges is almost criminally high, but when you consider that they are pre-heat-treating it for you, it isn't so bad.

I mean, how much extra would you pay for SS mesh wicks that were already oxidizes and shaped?

14. KraKsX

KraKsX Moved On

Dec 17, 2012
    Lower NY
    I wouldn't pay extra. But it's easy, I understand this 'cant' easily be done at home. I guess I'll just wait till the price comes down, as more vendors get into it, I assume glass vendors [like Phiniac] wouldn't mind getting into this, as they can already make the heat needed, and I'd hope more vendors will make a price drop.

15. pdib

Nov 23, 2012
    I was kinda looking forward to setting up my campfire forge, but $7? It woulda taken me $50 of my time between setting up, treating, and cleaning up after. Plus $7 is a pack of generic analogs in Seattle (which I did not buy today, or for the last ~5 months) :closedeyes:

16. pdib

Nov 23, 2012
    Haven't done this yet, but just did . . . . .math . . . . . . $1,500! (not spent on smokes!) :)

(did somebody say $7 . . . . . )

17. Lyle Devine

Lyle Devine Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 3, 2012
    Mid-west U.S.
    Someone correct me but I was reading about the various ceramic rope materials and it seems that they have a good amount of fiberglass, and alumina-silica. Not sure I want to vape that stuff.

18. pdib

Nov 23, 2012
    Well, I hadn't read that, so I'm probably safe.

19. pdib

Nov 23, 2012
    seriously, tho, where did you read it? could you share your source?

20. Lyle Devine

Lyle Devine Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 3, 2012
    Mid-west U.S.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.