charcoal grill smoked food BLAH

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapi

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
Ohio
I don't know if it's like smoking a cigarette but I got so sick after eating food from a charcoal grill yesterday. It tasted kinda gross with the smokey taste but was even worse after because I kept burping up smoke flavored watermelon. I couldn't vape much because I felt so nauseated all day too, which made me tired from the nic withdrawal. I don't think I can ever eat grilled food again, at least not on charcoal. Good excuse to buy a gas grill though.

Has anyone else had an ill effect after eating grilled food? Will a gas grill make a difference?

Debian Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2011
VA
XoomFAQ.com
if it tastes like charcoal someone does not know how to cook! I am NO fan if insta-light or bricketts though.

You can actually throw a steak directly on the coals (after blowing out the ashes with a hair dryer or something) and the only thing you should taste is steak.... tasty tasty steak.

When I smoke meat I have cooked pork butts for upwards of 14 hours and NEVER have I had someone say it is "too smokey".

They f'ed something up

Debian Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2011
VA
XoomFAQ.com
If you can afford it the future of grilling is pellets. All the benefits of a wood fired grill with the ease of use of a gas grill.

If you can not afford it use you grill with real charcoal do not use brickettes or lighter fluid. Just real charcoal (burnt wood)

Just spray some vegetable oil on a newspaper ball it up and stick it under a chimney.

31TIO--Z5IL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Let the wood get going for a few minutes. Done.

I actually do have an "expensive" gas grill with inferred glass burners but I wish I had a pellet grill.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Now.........

Grilling: High heat, usually outdoors, and usually over flame or coals. Includes gas, electric, briquets, charcoal, etc. Short duration, high heat.
BBQ: Smoked food, low heat. Low and slow. Often not too smokey. Often messed up. Often can get sick if over smoked. Best is in Kansas City :) (puts up dukes, gets ready for a fight)

Either can be messed up and make you "sick". If grilling, hardwood charcoal is about 10 x better than briquets IMO.

Last edited:

Debian Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2011
VA
XoomFAQ.com
KC BBQ for the Win - My personal favorite followed by NC and Texas.

but I did not want to get in to the the whole you are not barbequing on a grill ;)

I have a dedicated hard wood smoker for real BBQ although the new pellet grills can BBQ since they can maintain downwards of 190* and burn hardwood pellets some of the better ones will burn over 550* for grilling.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
nope no smoke flavor with a gas grill unless you create it with liquid smoke or wood chips soaked in water inside the grill....a gas grill is more of a burger king type flavor.....if ya like that sorta thing......

I admit to grilling on gas (hangs head in typical fast-food convenience-food shame) and charcoal. Gas does have a nice grilled charred flavor.... like the grilled veggies mentioned above. Oh, and I like BK too. lol. Kinda depends. Gas is very convenient. I just don't consider them the same flavor, even when using wood chip "packets". I'm not sure I've used liquid smoke....purposefully.....but it's in a lot of stuff like sauces.

BTW... funny... we vapers try to be healthy, or at least consider it. I hear a charcoal-ed steak is like a carton of cigs worth of carcinogens...... can't verify that tho. Probably tested with those oil soaked briquets ( ;) jk). Real charcoal is probably only 199 cigs. :) lol

Last edited:

Debian Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2011
VA
XoomFAQ.com
The first culprit in the great carcinogen debate is the smoke that arises when fat and meat juices fall onto the flames. This smoke contains carcinogenic substances called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). The theory is that the PAH-filled smoke coats the food, which we in turn eat.The second type of carcinogen, heterocyclic amines (HCAs), develops in meat that is cooked over high heat. These substances are the byproduct of the heat-induced chemical reaction between the meat’s amino acids and the creatine found in its muscle tissue.

BUT

“The grilling of meats is part of what made it possible for us to make the leap from hominid (early humans) to the modern, sentient, thinking, socialized beings we are today"

In short: Do not allow flare up and trim excess fat

Read more: The Truth Behind Barbecuing and Carcinogens

vapi

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
Ohio
Thanks so much everyone, there is some really good advice here. I have cheap charcoal and the kind you light instantly but I never start it, my husband does and this is the worst part, if it doesn't light he uses car gas to ignite it. That could be what made me sick too.

I don't put food on the grill until the coals are just red hot, no flames. A flame will jump up occasionally but for the most part the heat is just hot coals.

rolandpibb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
British Columbia
You found the problem.
Gasoline is wrong... Very wrong!
Get a charcoal chimney starter...
No starting fuel needed.

True. Balled up paper to start the flames and lump charcoal is all you need with a charcoal chimney.

Did my first BBQ of the season last weekend!

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
I don't know if it's like smoking a cigarette but I got so sick after eating food from a charcoal grill yesterday. It tasted kinda gross with the smokey taste but was even worse after because I kept burping up smoke flavored watermelon. I couldn't vape much because I felt so nauseated all day too, which made me tired from the nic withdrawal. I don't think I can ever eat grilled food again, at least not on charcoal. Good excuse to buy a gas grill though.

Has anyone else had an ill effect after eating grilled food? Will a gas grill make a difference?

I have the opposite problem. I can't eat food off a gas grill. The gassiness gets into the food and I can taste it. To me it doesn't give the food the charcoal flavors I crave with a grill even if you use charcoal flavoring.

It may have just been badly cooked food, the combination of foods you ate, the grease or a combo of all 3. However I don't see anything inherent in the charcoal itself that should cause the symptoms you describe.

Edit: Just read the above. I agree.. it's likely the gasoline that caused the problem. YUK !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread