Charging a new 18650 battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardslinger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2011
Sanford, Fl
Great! How many hours for the full charge? Don't be surprised if it takes a little longer next time you charge the 18650s. Your pv will probably run the voltage down lower than what you started with today.
True, but as I only use 1 18650 at a time I should have plenty of time for it to charge.
Also as I'll only be charging 1 at a time is should go faster I would think.

Cardslinger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2011
Sanford, Fl
this is why I bought a pila charger that TR-001 I had was always running the pila charges 18650 in about 1 1/2 - 2 hours and 14500s and 18490s in about an hour
Do the protected 18650's fit into the pila better then the TR-001. I need to put a screwdriver under the battery to get it out it is such a tight fit.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Do the protected 18650's fit into the pila better then the TR-001. I need to put a screwdriver under the battery to get it out it is such a tight fit.
Not good. You are forcing a protected 18650 battery into the TR-001. I faced the same issue with the protected 14650 and the TR-001 and didn't go there. Don't put abnornal physical stress on an Li-ion battery.

Rather than cramming a battery that is too long to fit the TR-001 my solution was to cluster YL-103A chargers. They fit my protected 14650s tight, but without forcing. I charge up to six 14650s at once. I charge batteries for the E-Power 14650 once a week.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...w-cost-6-channel-li-ion-battery-charging.html

Retriever

Moved On
Nov 2, 2011
Not good. You are forcing a protected 18650 battery into the TR-001. I faced the same issue with the protected 14650 and the TR-001 and didn't go there. Don't put abnornal physical stress on an Li-ion battery.

Rather than cramming a battery that is too long to fit the TR-001 my solution was to cluster YL-103A chargers. They fit my protected 14650s tight, but without forcing. I charge up to six 14650s at once. I charge batteries for the E-Power 14650 once a week.

Agreed. You don't want to abuse your batteries in any way. Even if it was well-intentioned.

WyldRice

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2012
Minnesnowta
Just received my Trustfire TR-001 and AW 18650 IMR 2000mah from SuperT- I read somewhere that David or Kevin usually test their stuff before sending it out. But batteries?

Looked everywhere for my voltometer. I think it's in storage with my bike, so I didn't know if this 18650 was charged.
So I tried out the battery - Led blinked showing it was working! Pressed the fire button and for 1/2 a second, it made a little puff sound, then wouldn't fire in my eGo.
It still lit up the led when pressed, but wouldn't fire. Placed it on the new charger, and watched it- 4 hours later it gave me a green!

But if it was "almost charged" and took 4 hours, I can't imagine what it's going to take when I really drain it. May have to invest in a Pila...
Why is this getting so expensive? ;)
God Bless and Keep Vapin!

WyldRice

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2012
Minnesnowta
Don't trust a non-protected battery, even a AW. But, it's your hands and your face. Do as you will.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ures-serious-battery-failure-imr-18650-a.html
I've read that post- all 17 pages, and the other one that burned some guys leg. And seen the pics of all the battery failures (cell phones, lap tops, RCcars, etc...) - And the only reason I did was to avoid the type of explosion that could happen.
That said- the IMR battery will VENT - like gunpowder in a pile- Flash! but not "POP!" unless it's in an "enclosed mod" (AKA- a pipe bomb!) then it could explode!

Please post any picture of an IMR exploding! -you can't -the link above was pictures of the FIRE inside that persons case, in a purse or in a jacket (can't remember, because I've read three weeks of this ....!)

So YES- it may fail, but it will not explode. Safest batteries are the store bought (AA's and such) so knock yourself out with those badboys!
Oh, you want to VAPE... AW's are the safest, most popular, and widely used- from what the veterans and enthusiasts have tested, posted, video'd, and blogged about...

Don't believe me?
Type in "battery compare failures" and read for 3 weeks, then come back and talk to me. =)

Mylt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2011
Virginia

Mylt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2011
Virginia
I've read that post- all 17 pages, and the other one that burned some guys leg. And seen the pics of all the battery failures (cell phones, lap tops, RCcars, etc...) - And the only reason I did was to avoid the type of explosion that could happen.
That said- the IMR battery will VENT - like gunpowder in a pile- Flash! but not "POP!" unless it's in an "enclosed mod" (AKA- a pipe bomb!) then it could explode!

Please post any picture of an IMR exploding! -you can't -the link above was pictures of the FIRE inside that persons case, in a purse or in a jacket (can't remember, because I've read three weeks of this ....!)

So YES- it may fail, but it will not explode. Safest batteries are the store bought (AA's and such) so knock yourself out with those badboys!
Oh, you want to VAPE... AW's are the safest, most popular, and widely used- from what the veterans and enthusiasts have tested, posted, video'd, and blogged about...

Don't believe me?
Type in "battery compare failures" and read for 3 weeks, then come back and talk to me. =)
hate to brake it to you but there is nothing special about AW batteries. they are made in the same factory as many other Li-ION batteries. the only difference is the wrapping. i have been in the electronics world including flashlights for many years and have done the research.

Mylt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2011
Virginia
Oh, then you are a better expert at them than I.
I just go by what I've read- I have no real world experience with them, so take what I say with a lot of salt... ;)
AW has good PR. LOL. they are decent batteries but the fact is, there are a LOT of different branded batteries that come from the same factory off the same production line. there are not that many actual battery manufacturers.

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
AW makes a solid cell in particular the IMRs. That's why there is brand loyalty. Sure you can look at individual cell performance and might find a TF or other than outperforms the equivalent AW. The across the board performance is why they are recommended.

I personally like Panasonic's cells the best but still use AW as well. Its just easier to recommend AW because everyone carries them and they work well.

Sent from my HD2 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread