Charging with Mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
All my single cell mods get charged through USB, have been doing this since I started, also I've yet to break a USB port on a mod. People get all bent out of shape about charging in a mod, yet how many of them toss 4 batteries in a charger and go to bed?

Anything I have on charge is either within view or in the next room, I leave nothing on charge over night or unattended.

Rockford

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
BC Canada
All my single cell mods get charged through USB, have been doing this since I started, also I've yet to break a USB port on a mod. People get all bent out of shape about charging in a mod, yet how many of them toss 4 batteries in a charger and go to bed?

Anything I have on charge is either within view or in the next room, I leave nothing on charge over night or unattended.

I have to agree with ya partner. I'm very .... when it comes to caring for anything I own. I think it's like anything if you take proper care of it (for the most part) it will take care of you.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I have to agree with ya partner. I'm very .... when it comes to caring for anything I own. I think it's like anything if you take proper care of it (for the most part) it will take care of you.
Now my EDC mods all have various scratches and paint issues from being put into a pocket with change and keys etc, it gives them character. ;) I don't own any fancy stabwood or juma mods, If I did they would be desk mods only and not grab and go's.

We get mods all the time in at the shop with scratches all around the USB port or the metal frame of the USB port missing, it only plugs in one way people, pay a little more attention on the next one. :lol:

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX

I did break one on a mod back in 2015. But it was a known weak point on that particular mod. I like to think manufacturers have stepped up thier game since.
But I did just finally order 3 magnetic connectors just to lessen the risk somewhat. 3 sets for under $10 bucks are probably not a bad investment.:blink:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I did break one on a mod back in 2015. But it was a known weak point on that particular mod. I like to think manufacturers have stepped up thier game since.
But I did just finally order 3 magnetic connectors just to lessen the risk somewhat. 3 sets for under $10 bucks are probably not a bad investment.:blink:
Nice, are they thin at the USB port? Any links to these

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX

Rockford

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
BC Canada

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
It is not about avoiding USB charging, it about understanding the risks and the limitations of your device. I’ve used a 2amp wall wart USB charger on a mod that was rated for 2amp charging and the device got scary hot. Using a 0.5 amp USB charger and there was little no to heat at all. So does one ignore the heat and continue to use the 2amp charger putting trust into the mod that it is regulating the correct current draw? There are also mods that do not cut off charging when the required 4.2 volts (or close to) has been achieved. They apply a trickle or float charge attempting to keep the cells topped off as the device remains in a standby mode. Again, we are putting trust into a device assuming it will not over charge the cells.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
@Punk In Drublic You are absolutely right. But I can't handle the stress of wringing my hands all day every day over all the possibilities of what might possibly go wrong in life.
So instead I just live it my way. Just like everyone else has the choice to do.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
It’s not about avoiding risk – we are presented with many risks throughout life that is near impossible to avoid. The key is understanding the risk and mitigating any potential hazardous outcome. If your device gets hot enough to cook while charging, then that is a clear indication there is a problem. Ignoring that issue is no longer mitigating the risk. There are incidents of devices failing while charging. We can easily fault the device, but I suspect a lot of it is user neglect. In other words, someone not understanding or acknowledging the risks at hand.

• Informative
Reactions: Baditude

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
It’s not about avoiding risk – we are presented with many risks throughout life that is near impossible to avoid. The key is understanding the risk and mitigating any potential hazardous outcome. If your device gets hot enough to cook while charging, then that is a clear indication there is a problem. Ignoring that issue is no longer mitigating the risk. There are incidents of devices failing while charging. We can easily fault the device, but I suspect a lot of it is user neglect. In other words, someone not understanding or acknowledging the risks at hand.
Ok, it's not about avoiding USB charging then it's not about avoiding risk are you exactly sure yet what it IS you're talking about? Or have you just been sleeping with @Baditude for too long?

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think if you know enough about the risks to mitigate it have at it all you desire.

I just worry more about the newcomer charging up his smok mod with the trustfire batteries inside, via a USB charger and etc. etc.

I'm not really going to advocate in battery charging with lithium ion batteries period. I do however own two radiuses and it's recommended to charge them USB and honestly, they'd die faster if I swapped the batteries out. I do have magnetic chargers, I do have the appropriate power wall wart, and I don't charge them overnight and I check their temps every now and again.

To be quite frank, my favorite thing about external charging besides safety is the convenience. I have some internal battery mods and to me USB charging when not at home is just a pain, and I am NEVER gonna use passthrough. Ever. Passthrough vaping gives me the creeps.

I think you can pretty much do what you want once you've achieved "Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts," except that was a title I just assigned myself, so make of it what you will. (I.e. I do what I want, like give myself titles. It may be wrong. But I do it.)

Don't vape passthrough with your Trust fire batteries and your 90 watt settings in your two battery version Smok alien though please. Just don't.

I also think that cellphones have nothing to do with vaping, pretty much entirely. I mean, yeah, they are both electrical things that you plug in that do things and have batteries.

If someone ever combines the two I will salute vaping for remaining viable against the FDA whilst slinking off into the night, never to darken society's door again, etc. etc.

Anna

Reactions: dwcraig1

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I very rarely charge with other than my mod's internal system. For USB charging power I use a 6 port USB device that runs from wall power. That device also charges my laptop and whatever else may need charging.

Please don't warn me away from my ignorant bliss.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Ok, it's not about avoiding USB charging then it's not about avoiding risk are you exactly sure yet what it IS you're talking about? Or have you just been sleeping with @Baditude for too long?

If I may ask, what is the objective behind your comment with me sleeping with @Baditude ? The OP asked a question in regards to safe USB charging – he received legit answers. I not once said USB charging should be avoided. I simply addressed concerns surrounding it. Should we continue charging if your device gets hot? Am I incorrect in stating some of these devices provide a float charge once the batteries reach their full state? Does every single mod provide a balanced charge? These issues are not exclusive to all USB charging but they are issues non the less - and to someone who may not be aware of them, they can be of value. Fires caused by charging your vape device is a fact – a simple web search is proof of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread