Charging with Mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
While I do agree that using a dedicated battery charger is the best, I will also state that there is nothing wrong with using a good devices internal charging system. As long as you have a dedicated setup for that charging.

I am one of those that uses the magnetic charging systems. I also use quality USB charging ports like the POTEK chargers instead of wall warts. Wife does not use the magnetic system, but she does use the same USB charger I do. Neither of us would use a computer or a simple wall wart for charging.

Know your vaping device, know your charging system, don't just plug and forget and check your vape while charging.

Reactions: stols001

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Damage cause by USB charging a vape device.

proxy.jpg

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Actually the OP does not have the same setup in his mod that every phone, tablet or laptop has. The mobile computing devices have batteries that are specifically built for said device. These can be matched in detail with the devices internal charging circuitry. A mod that utilizes external batteries that are not even designed for vaping, does not share the same luxury. Mobile devices also come with specific chargers and will void warranties if proven another charger was used.

Lets not forget that phones, tablets and computer are not void of battery malfunctions. There have been many recalls due to this with the Samsung Note 7 being one of the more popular. And while Samsung was trying to figure out the faults with the Note 7, which was not the battery at all, they recommended users to turn off 2amp fast charging out of fear that was the cause of their failures. Apple now utilizes fast charging for their smartphones so their batteries can now accept a higher current draw. But plug an older 1amp rated iPhone into a Samsung 2amp charger and it gets mighty toasty. If the iPhone was regulating the proper current, it would not get hot!

So the question is, why do vaping devices fail with USB charging. The above picture shows a USB cable plugged into a Samsung 2amp charger. Was the vape device rated for 2amps…did it regulate the proper current draw? Regardless, I can ensure you the device got hot long before it blew up and that the user neglected to understand the reason for this.

Again, USB charging does not mean every single device plugged into a USB port will explode. But understanding the risks and what to look for will mitigate that possibility. I fail to see why this can be debated.

@Rockford – why pose the question if this is not of a concern?

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Actually the OP does not have the same setup in his mod that every phone, tablet or laptop has. The mobile computing devices have batteries that are specifically built for said device. These can be matched in detail with the devices internal charging circuitry. A mod that utilizes external batteries that are not even designed for vaping, does not share the same luxury. Mobile devices also come with specific chargers and will void warranties if proven another charger was used.

Lets not forget that phones, tablets and computer are not void of battery malfunctions. There have been many recalls due to this with the Samsung Note 7 being one of the more popular. And while Samsung was trying to figure out the faults with the Note 7, which was not the battery at all, they recommended users to turn off 2amp fast charging out of fear that was the cause of their failures. Apple now utilizes fast charging for their smartphones so their batteries can now accept a higher current draw. But plug an older 1amp rated iPhone into a Samsung 2amp charger and it gets mighty toasty. If the iPhone was regulating the proper current, it would not get hot!

So the question is, why do vaping devices fail with USB charging. The above picture shows a USB cable plugged into a Samsung 2amp charger. Was the vape device rated for 2amps…did it regulate the proper current draw? Regardless, I can ensure you the device got hot long before it blew up and that the user neglected to understand the reason for this.

Again, USB charging does not mean every single device plugged into a USB port will explode. But understanding the risks and what to look for will mitigate that possibility. I fail to see why this can be debated.

@Rockford – why pose the question if this is not of a concern?

There's just no talking to you....:)

• Winner
    Reactions: Foggy Road

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    There's just no talking to you....:)

Don’t understand. You asked the question, I gave an answer. So please elaborate – why did the 2 above examples fail if mods and smartphone share the same setups?

As for your Lipo…what is the maximum charge rate of your Lipo and the output of the USB charger you are using? And if your Lipo got hot while charging, will you continue to charge?

Reactions: stols001

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Don’t understand. You asked the question, I gave an answer. So please elaborate – why did the 2 above examples fail if mods and smartphone share the same setups?

As for your Lipo…what is the maximum charge rate of your Lipo and the output of the USB charger you are using? And if your Lipo got hot while charging, will you continue to charge?
    dang, only 2 paragraphs. thought I'd get maybe 4?

gnite...

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Found a lot of good battery info on your Blog, Here is the charger I chose. I think it's a good chose for my use.
    Glad that you found the blog useful. :thumb:

My backup charger is a Nitecore Intellicharger i4. It was a good charger for a couple of years for me.

I decided a year ago that I wanted a more sophisticated charger with a good LCD screen. I chose the Xtar VP4. Nice large screen that shows mAh as its charging instead of just some blinking LED lights, and twice as fast charging (1 amp) than the old Nitecore i4 (0.5 amp). Glad I made the upgrade.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread