• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Cheap, cheap, cheap juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIVAP2

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2011
Eastern Canada
Never heard of DIY getting you ill or even worst. Does that exist or is it an urban legend?

Asking how much would you pay for e-liquid is like asking how much would you pay for wine. Same thing. Only alcoholics will get satisfied with an 8$ bottle or less (for home made). But hey! Aren't we all addicted to nicotine? If my neighbour is making "good" home made wine for less than 5$ a bottle, I'll buy! Until I get sick! And you know what? Making home made wine is totally legal. You're just not supposed to resell it, but you know...

Better yet, any wannabe chemist can extract 95% pure nicotine, just do a quick google search on nicotine extraction and you get the procedure. Grow or buy the plant and get the gears from a glass blower and you are in business!

Until that business is regulated, there is no market control. Again, it's a free for all situation.

I see "use at your own risks" in many if not all websites. The same thing applies to me when buying cheap juice from my neighbour who's doing DIY in it's garage.

Good luck!

KeithB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2011
Annapolis, MD
Pure nicotine is extremely dangerous and cannot even be discussed in detail here on the ECF. 100mg nic (10%) can be hazardous but can be used with the proper safety precautions. Lower strength nic solutions are available for anyone who doesn't feel comfortable with the stronger stuff.

Flavoring is another question. I've had a few juices that didn't turn out so well and might make you feel ill. "Hobo Socks" anyone?

kanadiankat

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
Alberta, Canada
www.electrovapors.com
Never heard of DIY getting you ill or even worst. Does that exist or is it an urban legend?

Asking how much would you pay for e-liquid is like asking how much would you pay for wine. Same thing. Only alcoholics will get satisfied with an 8$ bottle or less (for home made). But hey! Aren't we all addicted to nicotine? If my neighbour is making "good" home made wine for less than 5$ a bottle, I'll buy! Until I get sick! And you know what? Making home made wine is totally legal. You're just not supposed to resell it, but you know...

Better yet, any wannabe chemist can extract 95% pure nicotine, just do a quick google search on nicotine extraction and you get the procedure. Grow or buy the plant and get the gears from a glass blower and you are in business!

Until that business is regulated, there is no market control. Again, it's a free for all situation.

I see "use at your own risks" in many if not all websites. The same thing applies to me when buying cheap juice from my neighbour who's doing DIY in it's garage.

Good luck!

I get exactly what is being said. Since there is no way of knowing what regulations an individual juice maker is following - is this market a "free for all" and is the cheap, cheap juice trustworthy?

And it's a loaded question.

There is a regulatory framework in place already - but just the frame - not the whole picture. The picture is being put together and will be finished soon.

There are really only a small handful of juice makers here - so, hopefully, it won't take long to get everyone working within regulation. (and some are already close enough)

There is also - already in place - a method for auditing and checking and testing to make sure that everything conforms the way it should. Some of the regulations are based on existing laws - others are unique to this industry. As mentioned in the ECTA thread - the audit procedures will be tested on a group already in place - who are paying for the leg work to have this done (and no - it will not prejudice those who are not part of the initial group).

The one thing that won't be brought into conformity - is pricing. Small business producers have the right to choose their own pricing based on their own cost/supply analysis, their long and short term business plan, and the type of business they want to build (ie: cottage industry, specialized, mass production, etc).

Just like with any product - there are different brands, different options - and therefore different pricing. Free market has no place for removing those - and a regulatory body has no place for dictating that. ECTA has not intention of becoming another CRTC.

An industry led regulation will have a stamp of approval will tell you:-
- the liquid you purchase is produced under approved conditions that are checked regularly.
- that it is using ingredients that are fully tested by a chemist for purity and accuracy and that this is done regularly.
- that the products are stored in an approved manner before they reach you.

....And that hardware conforms to safety standards.....

Last edited:

RandyL

Oct 6, 2011
Keswick, Ontario
An industry led regulation will have a stamp of approval will tell you:-
- the liquid you purchase is produced under approved conditions that are checked regularly.
- that it is using ingredients that are fully tested by a chemist for purity and accuracy and that this is done regularly.
- that the products are stored in an approved manner before they reach you.

....And that hardware conforms to safety standards.....

Who is going to lead this industry regulation? Who is going to be doing all the testing and research? And more importantly, who is gonna flip the bill $$ for all of this ?? If this ever went through, the government is going to want 100% full control, It'll only be done their way, what they say will go. Most likely only be sold at pharmacies, maybe even needing a prescription....who knows.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
Flavoring is another question. I've had a few juices that didn't turn out so well and might make you feel ill. "Hobo Socks" anyone?

That's it. My next novelty flavour is going to be "Hobo's Knickers."

Who is going to lead this industry regulation? Who is going to be doing all the testing and research? And more importantly, who is gonna flip the bill $$ for all of this ?? If this ever went through, the government is going to want 100% full control, It'll only be done their way, what they say will go. Most likely only be sold at pharmacies, maybe even needing a prescription....who knows.

That is exactly what ECTA has been formed to prevent.

kanadiankat

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
Alberta, Canada
www.electrovapors.com

It's a body already populated by people from the industry. (see the sticky on this forum - ECTA).

ECTA has hired legal researchers and a chemist a management company and an administrator - all of whom are independent - not tied commercially or personally in any way to the vendors.

The researchers are combing through legislation and adding additional product/industry specific stuff - building regulations from there - on hardware, eliquid with and without nicotine, health claims, advertising claims, etc.

The Chemist is experienced in testing eliquid and has all the necessary equipment.

The management company and administrator will hold all the information and approve audits - so there will be no back-door meddling or questionable practises with approvals.

As with any industry regulatory body - the members of the industry pay for their own papers. Instead of throwing copious sums of money at the government for each individual business to get qualified though - the industry does a cost sharing and qualifies it's own members for a fraction of the price.

The 10 member ECTA board - as explained in the ECTA sticky - is not currently published for legal reasons. Though any member who is on ECF can let people know on ECF only. (to prevent businesses from claiming their are part of the board before the list is released - keeps the info in one place - though some of the members are not on ecf - that's the way we've decided to handle interim identification).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread