Status
Not open for further replies.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
I am having a woodcrafter friend build my box. It is a single 18650 squonker with a flush 510 and sharp firing button. He is using Zebra wood from a nice blank he has at his shop. I designed the whole project. He will round out all the edges and the squonk hole and build a REO style door on it. I discussed with him finishing and mentioned linseed oil and beeswax and he has a few ideas. He is mainly a Tung oil guy and I discussed the pros and cons but I think that is what he will be using. He said there will be no odor when he is done with it.

The man is a craftsman so I am expecting a real quality box.

I am paying him $100.00 as he calculated 3 hours of shop time at $35.00 per hour. I cannot wait to see if he can pull it off.

He said if it becomes too tedious he will just tell me. When this guy does stuff it is usually unbelievable so I have high hopes. I will post the final product when I get it. I put no deadline on him. He is in the middle of a cedar table, figure 8 design that he will get $5500.00 for.

I told him no rush.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
So here she is. Texas Black Maple. The Mosfet wiring was a royal PITA but I gutted it out. Soldering to the Fat Daddy Neg washer was impossible even after milling it down to its original brass or whatever it is. I need to find a metal washer to put there or something that will flow solder. So that connect is a cold joint and so is my positive connect....mostly. it conducts though..when I take it apart I will revisit those joints. I ran the squonk needle through the switch mount and widened it out to also take the positive 14g stranded black wire so I have a really good connection to the postitive pin. I didn't need to put the switch mount screw back on since it's in there so tight. I put the stranded in first than the needle and it went in snug. Had a bunch of other hurdles as well but in the end it vapes great. I got the Odin BF in the vape mail today so wicked it up with KGD and filled it with Tribeca and blasted off. For a first DIY box I am happy. The next one will be smaller as this will be a table device [emoji12]
Here are some pics. The box is 6 pieces all rabbet joints and datos for the door, glued, sanded and 3 coats of Tung Oil.
29f32b5d86b3e1340b6c866b28f2a88c.jpg
b467afa554670ea43bc265f06bb457f8.jpg
c59472a04eedcfc73f08baa958d57fe6.jpg

Last edited:

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
very nice, thanks for sharing :)
I prefer the side buttons like that as opposed to top fire, but they sure do waste space don't they.

Hey Thanks. For a first I was pleased. Yes, that is a slug of copper and took a .75" hole too.:blink:

I bought 2 of them and was committed to it. I have bought black Stearnsy buttons for the next ones as I anticipate the box getting smaller with each build and room will be at a premium.

The great advantage of the bigger switch is the mount holes were a touch bigger than 14g wire and I did not want to put a soldering iron near my switch. Soldering 14g or 16g wire to those smaller switch terminals does not look fun.

Thanks for your comment:)

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Looks great, and it looks like there's plenty of available space to reduce size for your next run

Yes and Thanks. Next one has a dual sled, much smaller switch and not a bottom feeder. I am using dovetails as well and rabbets for the top and bottom. I am carving up some wood blanks now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread