Chemistry of "Steeping" and observations?- premixed flavors vs. individual flavors, PG vs. VG vs. both

Status
Not open for further replies.

midficollege

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Texas
In another thread, I posted the following:
"Steeping" has to do with the mixing of the flavors with one another and becoming homogeneous in a propylene glycol (or vegetable glycerin) solution.

In a premixed flavor batch with the flavorings already fully in solution, it should be easily miscible with a PG base/PG nicotine without steeping time needed. The steeping would have been done by the "100%" PG solution, right?

I have to wonder if "Steeping" came about when people were mixing PG-based flavors into VG bases or mixtures of the two. Or from people using other-alcohol extracted flavorings or menthol that needed to be dissolved further into the mix as a whole.

So- I'd be interested in hearing different experiences with premixed flavor bunches and single flavors vs. combining varieties of flavors themselves, as well as a chemical/scientific explanation of the process if anyone is qualified to even guess at such a thing?

Thanks for your responses.

pinellaspete

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
Safety Harbor, FL
You could spend a lifetime researching and testing the chemical reactions that go on inside our little bottles of e-juice.

One very important thing I have learned is the ABSOLUTE need to add an acid to our juices when mixing them. It acts as a stabilizer and prolongs the shelf life and reduces the "flavor fade" in our juices.

Adding an acid also seems to reduce the steeping time to about 3 days from about a week if you don't use any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread