The Mythology of Steeping Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingboomer

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2013
Commerce City, CO

But I drive on a parkway and park in a driveway because the language is silly. I do get a chuckle out of attempts to make colloquialism technically correct though so this was good fun.

Going OT here for a bit, but I agree that language is in fact silly. To quote one of my favorite comedians:

"You can pr1ck your finger, but you can't finger your..."

You get the jist :D

-Kingboomer

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com

And of course, down here in the south, all brown fizzy stuff is "Coke." Even though I hate Coke, I still call it that... even when it's really Pepsi. Dr Pepper of course is in a class by itself. :D

I have to be more precise with my husband though; he's not a southerner except by long-term residence, and he actually likes Coke. I always thought it tasted more medicinal than recreational or dietary. Ugh.

Andria

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
All joking aside, and it has been joking in good natured fun, your OP is correct in that the term "steeping" doesn't really mean what we use it to mean. You also give a very well thought out description of what is really happening. People will probably still call it steeping though, just like they call all contact coils "micro coils" even though they have an ID of 3mm or some other non-micro measurement. That one really ticks me off.

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
BUt I loaded 100% true use of diction from merriam-webster and it states the defining is exactly what our termed use "steeping" as an inherit accuracy..

Meh

In a lab ok, thats in a lab and that does not dictate global in vernacular as many have posted about home, work, words common use in catergory slang. Steeping is not as slang in our use, it is an accuracy..

So in a lab your slang for its procedure for steeping would be aging for e-liquid..

I am a outdoor linemen electrician we bring the flame to your meter from source. Indoor electrician takes it from there and our vernacular is hugely different..
While we can come inside and still do all the electrical work, there is no way they could do ours without proper training in term and procedure..

We DIY people are not chemist or lab guys just diy people using steeping properly, per the dictionary..

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
My juice just don't taste good. But now I'm so confused as to what to do. Should I age it, mature it or steep it. Should I just let it sit for a month in hot water or let it sit a few minutes in a crock pot or an ultrasonic cleaner? If I use a crock pot am I steeping it or aging it? or is just letting it sit around maturing it? I've herd a few mentioning stewing your juice. Is that steeping it or maturing it? If I cook it does that mean I'm aging it? If I age it to long will it get old faster?

Maybe just waiting for the "The Mythology of Steeping Part 2" will help me better understand this.

Last edited:

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
As we all know, using the word 'seeping' for 'aging' of our e-cig liquid is as silly as calling a mechanical battery tube a 'Mod'

"Mod"? .... You haven't modified anything. It's just a tube with a couple of end caps. Just the way you bought it from the vendor.

However, there are people that do "Mod' a car sometimes ...... "Bill, what mods have you done to your new Corvette?" .... "Jim, I just installed a set of stainless long-tube headers and a new sound system" .... "Hey, those are great modifications"

But, Danny has a point .... "But to change to proper diction now when the term is so widely used and accepted is pointless".

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
But, Danny has a point .... "But to change to proper diction now when the term is so widely used and accepted is pointless".

His post, "the mythology of steeping" is a blanket statement that states aging e juice is the definition of our steeping when 100% both are correct.

How is aging the "proper" diction and steeping is not. They both are correct..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread