Chest Burn Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fallynn Knivez

Jan 31, 2016
Hey all, long time lurker but I decided to sign up to ask this question. I've done some searches and my situation seems different then what I have found so I needed to post to see if I could pinpoint the cause here.

So, my issue is that every so often, I will build a new coil, vape on it for a day or two, and by the second day my chest hurts. If you have ever had bronchitis it is similar to that. My chest/lungs feel tight, burn and I develop a little cough. It feels as if I am burning my lungs and I have to rebuild my vape (wasting whatever juice I have left in my tank) and a few hours later, my chest is back to normal.

So now is when this question gets strange... I transitioned from cigarettes and have been vaping now for about two years now. I started at 24mg nic and am now at 6mg, and this has occured at each nic level. This happens about every third or fourth build and I can't match it up to anything specific.

I use an ipv v2 (50watt) typically set at 7w (2.6v) but every once in a while I'll have it at 20-30w. I also occasionally use a stingray, a cherry bomber, and a beacon.

I use a kayfun lite clone (I have two different ones) and an eleaf lemo 2 (with the 5ml tank) primarily. I also occasionally use a freakshow, 450 bigblock, and most often out of the drippers a plume veil.

My everyday builds are 0.8 to 1.0 ohm, 6 or 7 wrap 26g Kanthal using Japanese cotton. Same wraps for drippers but usually double coil so 0.4-0.5 ohm. I also used same wrap count 28g for 1.0-1.2ohm.

The juices I use most are 50pg/50vg two peas in a pod strawberry flavors. 30pg/70vg kilo tru blue, and 40pg/60vg Schwartz downside. Again, I stepped down from 24mg nic and currently vape 6mg nic

As you can see it's very easy for me to rule out most of the common things, plus I am not new to vaping, nor are my builds on a 7w setting particularly hot. This has occurred with any combination of all the above. It only happens maybe every third or fourth build, and It really seems somehow those builds are just hotter or, I dunno.

Sorry this was long but I am really lost on ideas as to what's going on. Any help would be most appreciated.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
First suggestion -

Test 1 setup at 1 specific set of build/power parameters. Verify the problem exist or Not.
Move to the Next setup an test.

Find exactly which setup and what conditions are causing the problem.
Eliminate that complete grouping and continue testing.

* Any Change in Tank/Power/Build/E-liquid/etc.* May be the trigger.

Separate, Isolate, eliminate.
:)

cincocc

Jul 27, 2015
Illinois, USA
Yeah, thats great, but this only happens so often and seems linked to building coils. As i mentioned it happens every third or fourth build, and once i make a new build it goes away, almost as if 1 out of 4 builds burns hotter then the rest.

Sorry! Didn't intend to interrupt your thread. It was the "two years" that you've been vaping that caught my attention and caused a sort of coalescence of scattered bits of information and an AHA moment. I'll remove my posts and simply urge you and the rest to pay attention to matters of hydration.

Again, SORRY!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Except for the "burning," and the fact that it's not a constant thing but only with some builds, it almost seems a little like excessive Vg -- all your ejuice is higher in VG, and tightness and coughing do correspond to some peoples' problems with too much VG. "Burning" seems more like too much PG.

I think crxess' suggestions are a good place to start -- try to isolate exactly the circumstance that leads to the problem. You seem to be approaching the problem somewhat scatter-shot, which makes it difficult to determine exactly what could be causing it. It's like, in debugging programming, trying to change more than one thing at a time -- you may fix the problem and introduce others, with no clear idea of what "fix" caused what problem.

Ansria

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
It's possible you're experiencing some sort of intermittent health issue (maybe related to vaping, maybe not) and just overthinking its correlation to the particulars of your builds. Easy to do that when one is stumped and searching for answers. The only way to test that theory is to stop vaping for awhile and see if the issue still surfaces, then go from there.

Reactions: AndriaD

Fallynn Knivez

Jan 31, 2016
Hey all, thanks for the replies, i really appreciate it a ton...

I have actually noticed it with all combinations of builds and setups. That is why i am confused about it.

The health issue thing i contemplated, and at first confused it for getting a chest cold, continued to vape and it got worse till i finally realized that vaping was causing it to hurt more. It really is a thing like "i'm going to rebuild this" and hours later i am fine. It also starts the day of or after the build (but it takes at least 12 hours (estimated) of vaping on the new build before it starts - its not instant). I've tested the theory when it starts hurting a bunch of times now, and a new build always clears it up... but i build the same way each time.

I have had the thought that perhaps something with the way i build them, either i get something perfect or wrong and just for whatever reason that particular coil heats up more, or maybe theres less wick causing the heat to just go straight into my lungs and burn them.

Its strange and i am at a loss. I seem to be the only one, and cant seem to get any local help (friends or shops). Thats why i turned here for help.

Side Note: I notice it less often with the drippers and more often with the lemo 2, which was confusing due to the increased airflow in the lemo (as opposed to the Kayfuns). I also know the kayfuns are more forgiving with builds and wicking, and with noticing it happening less with them is another reason i have thought perhaps its something with my builds causing it.

When i posted last night i had just finished a build to replace one that was causing it, and i am fine now, i was about two hours after posting last night. All day yesterday it started with a "meh, chest kinda hurts" and by last night it hurt to vape. Two hours after switching tanks+build i am fine... Three builds or so from now (maybe 2-4 weeks) it will happen again, rebuild, it will get worse through the day, new build, i am fine again... between now and then, everything will be fine.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA

I have actually noticed it with all combinations of builds and setups. That is why i am confused about it.

The health issue thing i contemplated, and at first confused it for getting a chest cold, continued to vape and it got worse till i finally realized that vaping was causing it to hurt more. It really is a thing like "i'm going to rebuild this" and hours later i am fine. It also starts the day of or after the build (but it takes at least 12 hours (estimated) of vaping on the new build before it starts - its not instant). I've tested the theory when it starts hurting a bunch of times now, and a new build always clears it up... but i build the same way each time.

I have had the thought that perhaps something with the way i build them, either i get something perfect or wrong and just for whatever reason that particular coil heats up more, or maybe theres less wick causing the heat to just go straight into my lungs and burn them.

Its strange and i am at a loss. I seem to be the only one, and cant seem to get any local help (friends or shops). Thats why i turned here for help.

Side Note: I notice it less often with the drippers and more often with the lemo 2, which was confusing due to the increased airflow in the lemo (as opposed to the Kayfuns). I also know the kayfuns are more forgiving with builds and wicking, and with noticing it happening less with them is another reason i have thought perhaps its something with my builds causing it.

When i posted last night i had just finished a build to replace one that was causing it, and i am fine now, i was about two hours after posting last night. All day yesterday it started with a "meh, chest kinda hurts" and by last night it hurt to vape. Two hours after switching tanks+build i am fine... Three builds or so from now (maybe 2-4 weeks) it will happen again, rebuild, it will get worse through the day, new build, i am fine again... between now and then, everything will be fine.

If you have a good build now that isn't causing you any problems, why on earth would you need 3 more builds within 2-4 wks? When I get a coil that's vaping well, it stays put for months -- until it's been dry-burned so many times that eventually some part of it pops. Dry-burning and rewicking, sure, that has to be done regularly, the frequency of it really dependent on the juice, but re-coiling shouldn't need to be done for months, nevermind 3 more within 2-4 wks! :facepalm:

Andria

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

The vapor is not hot enough to burn your skin by the time it reaches your mouth, even vaping at very high vapor temps. The vapor drops are so small they cool down fast. Even a burnt hit doesn't burn your mouth when it happens. The vapor would be even cooler by the time it gets into your lungs. There could though be something in the vapor that is irritating your lungs.

crxess in post #5 gave you great info on how to troubleshoot these problems. I'll just add a couple of thoughts.

If you had hot legs on the coils sometimes you would taste it and after a couple of years of vaping I'm sure you would know if that was happening. OTOH, it can be subtle so I would give the build a long burn while it's wet with juice before you close the atty and check for that just to eliminate it. Definitely check for that with a build that is causing you issues.

If you aren't cleaning your wire before wrapping a coil I would try that from now on. Use a paper towel wet with alcohol or dish soap and give it a good wipe down. Alcohol will evaporate in a minute but you'll have to use water to get dish soap residue off. That will remove any oils left on it from the manufacturing process. You might be sensitive to that and it might not be distributed uniformly on all of the wire.

That's all I've got. Best of luck with it!

Reactions: asg

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest

doubt it has anything to do w/the builds. Sounds like reflux to me. Are you getting eliquid in your mouth at all?

I had to stop vaping bobas bounty 2 years ago because it gave me terrible reflux. I think there is some cinamon in there or something, another thing I can't vape.

The more concentrated the ejuice became in my clearo, the worse it got (like the last 1ml for instance).

ALSO KEEP IN MIND: our bodies are not operating in a perpetual state of stasis...adults develop allergies all the time to things they were once able to eat/drink. It is possible there is something in the flavoring giving you burning feeling which I still think is reflux....it feels like it's in your lungs but its not. :)

Reactions: AndriaD

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
doubt it has anything to do w/the builds. Sounds like reflux to me. Are you getting eliquid in your mouth at all?

I had to stop vaping bobas bounty 2 years ago because it gave me terrible reflux. I think there is some cinamon in there or something, another thing I can't vape.

The more concentrated the ejuice became in my clearo, the worse it got (like the last 1ml for instance).

ALSO KEEP IN MIND: our bodies are not operating in a perpetual state of stasis...adults develop allergies all the time to things they were once able to eat/drink. It is possible there is something in the flavoring giving you burning feeling which I still think is reflux....it feels like it's in your lungs but its not. :)

I didn't even think of reflux, but you're right, it could easily be that.

The thing about allergies is something that very few seem to get; say anything about allergy and people will so often go "I'm not allergic to anything." :facepalm: You have to be sensitized to something to become allergic to it; I took penicillin until I was 9, when it suddenly gave me hives. My son ate coconut till he was about 20, then suddenly he develops anaphylaxis if he eats it.

But really... when you know that you run a risk of something like this with any new build, yet you continue to build new coils that really aren't necessary... you're just asking for it! It's like you just WANT something bad to happen!

So go to the doctor and find out if you have some physical problem that you never had before. And stop building new coils when the old one still works just fine. Even when you change the juice, a dry-burn and rewick will get rid of the taste of the old juice just fine.

Andria

Reactions: Racehorse

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville

Have you tried any other juices besides custard / yogurt / blueberry / strawberry?
My suggestion would be to try a diketone free juice and give your same ol' flavors a brake or better yet try some unflavored for a few day's possibly even a week to test the theory ?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hey all, long time lurker but I decided to sign up to ask this question. I've done some searches and my situation seems different then what I have found so I needed to post to see if I could pinpoint the cause here.

So, my issue is that every so often, I will build a new coil, vape on it for a day or two, and by the second day my chest hurts. If you have ever had bronchitis it is similar to that. My chest/lungs feel tight, burn and I develop a little cough. It feels as if I am burning my lungs and I have to rebuild my vape (wasting whatever juice I have left in my tank) and a few hours later, my chest is back to normal.

So now is when this question gets strange... I transitioned from cigarettes and have been vaping now for about two years now. I started at 24mg nic and am now at 6mg, and this has occured at each nic level. This happens about every third or fourth build and I can't match it up to anything specific.

I use an ipv v2 (50watt) typically set at 7w (2.6v) but every once in a while I'll have it at 20-30w. I also occasionally use a stingray, a cherry bomber, and a beacon.

I use a kayfun lite clone (I have two different ones) and an eleaf lemo 2 (with the 5ml tank) primarily. I also occasionally use a freakshow, 450 bigblock, and most often out of the drippers a plume veil.

My everyday builds are 0.8 to 1.0 ohm, 6 or 7 wrap 26g Kanthal using Japanese cotton. Same wraps for drippers but usually double coil so 0.4-0.5 ohm. I also used same wrap count 28g for 1.0-1.2ohm.

The juices I use most are 50pg/50vg two peas in a pod strawberry flavors. 30pg/70vg kilo tru blue, and 40pg/60vg Schwartz downside. Again, I stepped down from 24mg nic and currently vape 6mg nic

As you can see it's very easy for me to rule out most of the common things, plus I am not new to vaping, nor are my builds on a 7w setting particularly hot. This has occurred with any combination of all the above. It only happens maybe every third or fourth build, and It really seems somehow those builds are just hotter or, I dunno.

Sorry this was long but I am really lost on ideas as to what's going on. Any help would be most appreciated.

1: "I started at 24mg nic and am now at 6mg, and this has occured at each nic level."
6mg at 50 watts is equivalent to 12mg at 25watts and 24mg at 12.5watts.
So if you half the mg strength but double the wattage you haven't really gone down.
6mg at 50 watts sounds on the higher side of things .

2: how many ml of liquid do you go through a day? About 30?

3: based on the description you gave:
I will build a new coil, vape on it for a day or two, and by the second day my chest hurts..........................
I have to rebuild my vape (wasting whatever juice I have left in my tank) and a few hours later, my chest is back to normal.
Sounds like normal coil gunking to me.
The more juice that has to pass through the coil, the more gunk gets left on the coil and the coil gets gradually dirtier and dirtier.

You should try some unflavored for a few days.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
Lots of good advice above, but one more thing to add...
You said your Plume Veil is your most-used dripper. I had some issues when I first started using RDA's with a tightness/soreness in my lungs. I found that taking long, hard pulls off a dripper (or any other topper) with a restrictive airflow made my lungs sore. I think it was from making them work too hard to pull through the smaller air flow attys like the plume veil. I grabbed a few RDA's with much bigger air holes and found my lungs didn't get sore like that anymore.

Reactions: Kprthevapr

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md

Yes and no

Yes, we definitely go through changes, not only through Age, but changes unmasking issues once stopping smoking.

Lung/Reflux
Sorry, been on both sides of that fence many times - have had (2)esophageal Surgeries due to acid Damage.
Prilosec for Life sux. - But there is a definite difference in what one feels when the lungs are inflamed.

Let a Qualified Dr decide. :)

Fallynn Knivez

Jan 31, 2016
Hey all thanks for the suggestions... Let me try to get some replies... I really appreciate this and think we may be on to something. I really thought i was going to ask and someone was just gonna be all "hey yeah, i had this happen, do this...." and i apologize that is not the case, thank you.

If you aren't cleaning your wire before wrapping a coil I would try that from now on.
I actually dont do any sort of cleaning of the wire at all... i will look into that, but could this explain intermittent issues like what i am experiencing?

So go to the doctor and find out if you have some physical problem that you never had before.
I actually had to run the full battery of medical tests the end of this last year for my job at the shipyard. I am still slightly colorblind, and i have arthritis starting in my lower back, other then that i am fine (i even mentioned it to the doc and got the whole "well you know vaping hasnt been tested..." speech.)

And stop building new coils when the old one still works just fine. Even when you change the juice, a dry-burn and rewick will get rid of the taste of the old juice just fine.
I know, i know... I will, just for you, stop rebuilding so often. I will dry burn, clean and rewick until my coils pop =) tbh, if anything, this post resulted in this "duh" realization when i read you saying that it would at least cut down how often it happens if nothing else.

1: 6mg at 50 watts is equivalent to 12mg at 25watts and 24mg at 12.5watts.
So if you half the mg strength but double the wattage you haven't really gone down.
6mg at 50 watts sounds on the higher side of things .

2: how many ml of liquid do you go through a day? About 30?

3: based on the description you gave:

Sounds like normal coil gunking to me.
The more juice that has to pass through the coil, the more gunk gets left on the coil and the coil gets gradually dirtier and dirtier.

You should try some unflavored for a few days.
1: I am well aware of this... (Also see below w/ my response to Racehorse)
2: 5-10ml a day... it used to be 5ml but has increased as my nic mg has reduced... (Again see below w/ my response to Racehorse)
3: It would have to gradually get dirty over the course of a single day (5-10ml of juice)...

Lots of good advice above, but one more thing to add...
You said your Plume Veil is your most-used dripper. I had some issues when I first started using RDA's with a tightness/soreness in my lungs. I found that taking long, hard pulls off a dripper (or any other topper) with a restrictive airflow made my lungs sore. I think it was from making them work too hard to pull through the smaller air flow attys like the plume veil. I grabbed a few RDA's with much bigger air holes and found my lungs didn't get sore like that anymore.
I usually have my plume wide open, but also with the freakshow, lemo 2 and big block they are all pretty high airflow pieces, i prefer the open airflows.

Have you tried any other juices besides custard / yogurt / blueberry / strawberry?
My suggestion would be to try a diketone free juice and give your same ol' flavors a brake or better yet try some unflavored for a few day's possibly even a week to test the theory ?
The kilo and the darkside are new regulars for me. I started with tobacco flavored, and was actually on a monthly sub during my flavor choosing days. These are the ones i have gravitated back to the most but i have tried many different ones. To be fair, i cant recall if it was specific flavors it happened with or not so i am thinking next purchase will be something new, maybe flavorless.

Still though, i dont get why it would clear up so quick after i rebuild, i am still using the same juices.

Have you tried different wicking materials? Some of the cotton I've tried give me a little different reactions. Just a thought......
I do like this one as well, i started with organic cotton balls (that my friend/room mate had been using for a while) and went from those to the Ko Gen Doh japanese organic cotton ones i have now, i have not tried anything else and will be something i look into next time i go to the vape shop, as with some of the other suggestions.

I left this for last due to length. It certainly isnt reflux or heart burn, i have had both and even changed my diet to prevent having to take meds for them.

First a recap for edyle as it pertains to my response, and may be on to something...

I had actually stated that I run very low watts on my builds... I sit between 0.8 and 1.0 ohms mostly on my rta's, occasionally higher. On drippers naturally lower. For watts; Most of the time I am actually at the lowest setting on my ipv at 7watts... (Example: my build right now is my kayfun at 0.96ohm and at 9.3watts. thats standard for me.)

I'm not running these hot at all, never have. Drippers i'll get into 20watts range, but tanks I always seem to get that burnt taste, as well as other things im about to mention which coincide with my thought about build related cause, and i dont know what my issues are with building, i have worked with numerous people and i just suck at it, but i cant stand the cartridge styles like the atlantis or nautilus tanks

I only recap this because I do in fact have issues with juice in the mouth... constantly... mostly chalked it up to my low settings but every time I fill the tank I turn it over (because kayfun loads through bottom screw) and there is a puddle of juice in my hand or on my desk. Every fill I have to rinse the drip tip and take a little tissue to the top of the tanks chimney to clear excess juice...

I didn't think this of consequence but I wonder if it's inhaling the straight juice that does it, or something else related to this issue. Since its usually the first tank (maybe two) of a build before my chest starts hurting and I rebuild, I can't really say if they had more or less juice getting everywhere but i have not noticed any increase or decrease going into my mouth.

side note: I am open to any build suggestion/instruction as well, i am good with criticism, learning and admitting i am wrong and correcting it, if you have something you think may help, i will look. I know that the watts i run these low ohm builds at is probably not burning through the juice, and i know that my wicking is the burnt taste issue (covering juice tunnels most likely since choking the wick at the coil itself i would think would result in less juice in the mouth) i just cant seem to do it right ever, even when having people watch or look at my builds.

I am very curious if maybe fixing whatever is causing the juice in mouth issue would also fix the issue whether it be directly the cause or a byproduct of the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread