Not open for further replies.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
Some theories from an un-qualified passer by:
Since starting vaping 2 weeks ago I have noticed anxiety related ailments when I vape. These include pains in my upper back and the feeling of being short of breath. I have had mild anxiety issues in the past and I can recognize the symptoms in myself now. I have also had the same type of problems when using the patch in the past.
Much of these symptoms were aided when I went to low doses of nic (6mg level).

I don't why I don't get these symtoms from smoking. My theory is that when I am smoking I get the nicotine stimulant with a depressant at the same time. The depressant being one of those 4,000 chemicals or maybe just carbon monoxide. When I am vaping I get all stimulant with no depressant. Similar to drinking 10 cups of coffee for me.

I am still playing with nic doses along with pg/vg trying to make the perfect formula for me, if I find it I will pass it on.

You should probably check out the "smokeless forum". http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/smokeless-tobacco/

d0nj03

Jul 17, 2010
Romania
Tightness in chest
Sharp to dull pains (alternating) in left chest, over lung not over heart
Pain when I inhale deeply, stretch or move my arm across my chest
Yep, sounds familiar. This is the kind of stuff that scared me off my 510 about a week ago. I wanted to wait and see if the random pains would go away if I stopped vaping for a few days and they did.

What complicates things is that the doc said the pains were in the heart and were caused by low Magnesium and he prescribed 5 vials of Magne-B6 around the same time, so I can't be sure which one did the trick - the supplement or the vape-cessation. So in phase two, last Saturday or Sunday I took a number of drags again throughout the day. Sure enough, Monday I had an episode of internal stings in the right side of the chest. Now I'm kinda scared again.

All my liquids are low-nic (10mg) or no-nic right now - the only high-nic ones I had were in the pre-filled carts that came with the 510 - so I can't accept nic content as an explanation for the pain. Also, I'd been smoke-free for 3.5 years before starting to vape, so withdrawal/recovery won't cut it either, as an explanation.

The only viable hypothesis I'm left with is PG-intolerance. My first liquids, which I used for about 3 weeks without any chest pain, were all ECOpure (VG). Then I ordered some more, looking for a convincing tobacco taste, but this time they were some Dekang liquids which I suspect are PG-based. And in a short while I started having the pains.

I'll do some more on/off tests with both kinds of liquids to figure this out. I'd really hate having to throw away my 510s after only a month and going back to being a bored nonsmoker&nonvaper. :p

Last edited:

d0nj03

Jul 17, 2010
Romania
OK, I've been back on the VG-based ECOpures for more than a week now and I've had no more major symptoms. I'll let it grow to two weeks and then try the no-name PG-based liquids again (it turns out they're not really Dekang, because it doesn't say "YDNK" anywhere on the bottles; the seller's lying or being lied to about the source of those liquids).

As a sidenote: I would've liked to get some kind of forewarning for these effects on the FAQ page, where I found it a glaring omission to mention that some people have serious adverse reactions to PG, but not give any hint or link to clarify what exactly those reactions might be.

Last edited:

Xanax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
East Coast
To the OP- I know what pain you're talking about. If it's in your BACK (upper) and chest at the same time, it's most likely bile in your stomach. I have this problem related to vaping and it usually hits at night (1-7am) sucks. But that pain you described sounded exact.

A lot of people believe that their stomach is way below their ribs but in fact it's really up near your chest.

lmrasch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2010
Oregon
OK, I've been back on the VG-based ECOpures for more than a week now and I've had no more major symptoms. I'll let it grow to two weeks and then try the no-name PG-based liquids again (it turns out they're not really Dekang, because it doesn't say "YDNK" anywhere on the bottles; the seller's lying or being lied to about the source of those liquids).

As a sidenote: I would've liked to get some kind of forewarning for these effects on the FAQ page, where I found it a glaring omission to mention that some people have serious adverse reactions to PG, but not give any hint or link to clarify what exactly those reactions might be.

Were those pg based liquids American made? The juices from China flat out gave me raging head and stomach aches. Just a thought...quality control needs to be considered. I know that there is no guarantee with USA juice either, but at least you can read the reviews from other users and then speak to the vendors about the bases of thier liquids. Glad that the vg is working for you.

Xanax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
East Coast
In reference to my post above:
Bile in the stomach causes the chest to feel very strange and painful. I don't know WHY the stomach can't handle bile but it can handle stomach acid which is way more corrosive. Bile is used by your body to break down fats that stomach acid can't. But sometimes the little sphinctor that let's food out of your stomach and into the next part of digestion, stays open long enough for bile to rush in. Even just a tiny tiny bit of bile will cause immense discomfort and pain. In most all cases people complain about their upper back/chest/ lungs hurting. People mistake it for heart back and lung problems all the time. It's different than a cramp, nausea, or general stomach ache. I relate it to the feeling of needing to pop your spine or neck, like there's trapped air in the spine that needs to be released. Or if you've ever had abdominal surgery, the feeling of C02 trapped in your abdominal cavity. So basically it does feel kinda like a bunch of trapped air in the stomach but without any air actually being present in there.

Anyways, the only way I have found to get rid of it instantly is to make yourself vomit. I know that's a really unpleasant thought but it will relieve the pain immediately and you'll KNOW that it IS in fact bile when you see a light green or yellow VERY bitter liquid come out. Sorry for the long TMI post but I really really think this is what is causing most of the posters chest pain! Keep us updated everyone.
PS: It is proven that nicotine causes stomach and digestion issues so, I would think that the cheap Chinese liquids that use low quality nicotine would elevate the risk of having stomach problems related to vaping. And also I wonder how many people in this thread have had their gallbladder removed??

d0nj03

Jul 17, 2010
Romania
Were those pg based liquids American made?
No idea, I'll ask.
One possibly relevant sign so far is that the seller seems to be trying to sell the last of those liquids and be done with them, so maybe they've received some problem reports from other customers as well or have found out something they didn't know before about the liquids.

lmrasch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2010
Oregon
OK, he says they're really Dekang/Boge liquids and he's getting them from Sailebao Technology, so they're Chinese. (Apparently, Sailebao/Boge/Dekang use a variety of bottles depending on who they're selling to, and not all of them have the "YNDK" marking.)

I suspected that....hope everything is good now for you. Take Care

robertpri

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
Back again to the PG-based stuff for 2 days and already had 3-4 short incidents of sharp stings inside the chest. This is proof enough for me, I declare the experiment closed.
I'll need to restock on VG or PGA-based juices now.

I was ready to give up on vaping eight months ago due to all the problems with PG juice, dry mouth at night that woke up 5-6 times, pain, discomfort, etc.

Thanks to this forum, I switched to VG and not one problem since. What is PGA?

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
since 10 month i have heavy cheast pain ,i start with freesmoke and ruyan liquids and depost high medium and zero then my cheast is so pain that i go to the hospiatl and check up my cheast and my heard ,but is all ok, my problem is analog i have not this problems only when i smoke e.cigs ,
and now i have intellicig zero eccopure but my cheast pain is not finnish but it is not so much pain !i dont no where come this cheast pain but it is a big point in e-cig that we anallyse,then many doctors have not information what e-cig is !

Say what now?

robertpri

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
In reference to my post above:
Bile in the stomach causes the chest to feel very strange and painful. I don't know WHY the stomach can't handle bile but it can handle stomach acid which is way more corrosive. Bile is used by your body to break down fats that stomach acid can't. But sometimes the little sphinctor that let's food out of your stomach and into the next part of digestion, stays open long enough for bile to rush in. Even just a tiny tiny bit of bile will cause immense discomfort and pain. In most all cases people complain about their upper back/chest/ lungs hurting. People mistake it for heart back and lung problems all the time. It's different than a cramp, nausea, or general stomach ache. I relate it to the feeling of needing to pop your spine or neck, like there's trapped air in the spine that needs to be released. Or if you've ever had abdominal surgery, the feeling of C02 trapped in your abdominal cavity. So basically it does feel kinda like a bunch of trapped air in the stomach but without any air actually being present in there.

Anyways, the only way I have found to get rid of it instantly is to make yourself vomit. I know that's a really unpleasant thought but it will relieve the pain immediately and you'll KNOW that it IS in fact bile when you see a light green or yellow VERY bitter liquid come out. Sorry for the long TMI post but I really really think this is what is causing most of the posters chest pain! Keep us updated everyone.
PS: It is proven that nicotine causes stomach and digestion issues so, I would think that the cheap Chinese liquids that use low quality nicotine would elevate the risk of having stomach problems related to vaping. And also I wonder how many people in this thread have had their gallbladder removed??

Fascinating! I came back to the thread to read another post and then scrolled down to yours. I have been vaping for exactly one year, and after some bad times with PG, switched to VG months ago with no more problems.

However, over the past month or so, I've had odd chest and stomach pains, like cramps, and they come and go during the day. I do wake with them every morning, and take 200 u of ibuprofen. Okay, not smart, but I really see no reason to live with discomfort. I figured it was not a heart attack because it comes and goes. I am 71 with high BP and a potential for heart attack, but have also suffered some rather serious emotional issues of late.

My wife of 33 years died 5 weeks after diagnosed with brain cancer, and I retired from a highly intensive career the same day. So, I went from a happily married man surrounded by many professionals to a rather lonely and bleak life. No, not trying to gain sympathy, but just explaining things.

So, I do have periods of sadness and depression, and figured chest and stomach pains and cramps were just part of it.

Now, you have suggested stomach bile. Can't one take acid reduction pills? Forced vomiting is not fun.

Last edited:

VanderVape

Moved On
Nov 17, 2010
Wyoming
I just started the e-health cigs (just to get started vaping until we researched and found the right one to go with.) Charged that batts and pulled a High Vanilla out of the package. My chest really started hurting (I could feel my lungs), so I looked up this thread to see what the problem may be.

I may be new to vaping, but after researching for the past 14 days below is what I have learned.

Reading your posts helped and I quickly switched to a medium strength coffee and my lungs are already feeling better. I do have to state that when I do my first real order of kits and juice that I will be ordering a PG/VG blend. I have read several threads where people have been allergic to PG and either vap PG/VG blend, or strictly VG. Every year I usually get the awesome bronchitis spell so I know that I don't have lungs that can take a full High nic content. I am also one that is not fond of the strong TH.

I know that it will be a lot of trial and error here on my part.

If you are new to vaping do your homework, order different strengths in sample bottles with different flavors. Do some all PG, some all PG/VG, and some all VG. I know that out of these that I will find the one that works. I refuse to go back to analog cigs! Refuse! :)

Don't ever just excuse chest pains. Always, as I have, go to the Doc or the hospital if this is severe, and don't vape like a crazy person on the way there.

CyberDj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2011
Budapest
Actually I have some chest pressure and pain when vaping. But it happens only if I vape high level nic juice for a longer time. The catch is that in some situation low nic level does not help and would just make me run for an analog. The good thing is that when I feel this I stop vaping for an hour and it is gone.
So I believe this can be related to nicotine which as we know increases the blood pressure through tightening the veins. Also in a way analogs have a "built in" limit. Even if you chain smoke there are moments you dont want anymore due to the bad aftertaste. But with vaping it never happens so easily you can input much more nicotine than desired.
What I try to do lately is to have a 0 or low lev nic juice for all day vaping and when I starve for a smoke I drop some 18-24mg juice. So far it is working though in the mornings it is very hard to avoid having high level nic juices.

jayvolt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
West Palm Beach FL USA
It shouldnt. You above all else know your body. Honestly if there is something wrong you will know it and you will go to the doctor. The question becomes this, you are now on a device that has allowed you to quit or dramatically cut down on a devise 4000 times more devious. If it is not for you dont use it, if it is and it helps please do, but responsibly please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread