Status
Not open for further replies.

PCVper

Nov 12, 2009
Ive been vaping for 27 days now. When I first started I was using Reduced PG with 18mg if nic. I started to feel this chest pain that people are talking about. I wasnt sure what this was. Well on day 20 I received some juice with VG and Zero nic. Since I started vaping with this I havent had any chest pains at all. Im now waiting for some new juice with VG and 5mg nic. I will see if that causes any issues. The only other possibility was that I was over vaping and basically ODing on Nicotine.

PG could be an allergic reaction
Nicotine could be ODing
Health reason has those checked nothing there

So I will update this once I receive the new juice.

Natnade

Nov 28, 2009
California
I've had the chest pains as well. Feels like its in the lungs and sometimes my chest gets a bit itchy. That's only if I do way too much vaping. So it definitely could be an OD with nicotine. Try reducing ur nicotine dosage. I reduced mine by half and I haven't nearly had it as bad.

I also think that it "could" be a reaction to the PG. I'm going to go see a doctor about it just in case.

By the way, has anyone had any really negative side effects? Anyone coughing up blood or have blood in their stools? Has anyone had their throat close up?

Also my age is 20. I have had no history of heart problems. I stopped smoking (around 5-10 cigs a day and have been smoking a little over a year (i was smoking 1-3 cigs a day for 6 of those months) about a month ago. I decided to stop smoking because it was only getting worse and worse each day.

I went to the ER because of what I think was a nicotine overdose. I love e-cigging but yet I do still feel the tightness in my chest and I do hope it subsides within time. Smoking tobacco is very very unhealthy and hopefully this just is a little indigestion.

Last edited:

gjrhine

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Sunny South Carolina
The last few days on and off I have had chest pains. Yes I am going to see a Dr about this. At first I thought maybe an anxiety attack but stress has gotten better the last few weeks and I am not prone to chest pains. The hardest and longest one hit me a few nights ago after vaping more than my normal all day. It went from 2am-6am. I was up all night. I tried to read in bed but the pain was distracting. It did finally let up. It was not horrible, but annoying and right under my breasts and hitting my spin. I was in hopes it was some kind of odd gas pain or something but that high... I know it is not heart burn (been pregnant 5 times and I know ever shape of that fun!)

So now I am thinking maybe it is my vaping. :( This would be tragic.

I have no heart conditions, I am 29 years old and thus I do not think it is an emergecy right this moment. Think I should set an appointment and vap a lot in hopes I can cause it and so the Dr can actually see it? Or?

Blessings,
lil

Well I went to the Doc to see if there was anything wrong with me. Nothing's wrong as far as standard checkup goes. They are going to do some blood tests to see if anything else is up. The chest pain comes and goes occasionally (maybe once a day) but it's a tad uncomfy.

Male, 62, gall bladder taken out 8 years ago, smoke pack a day about 30 years (on and off) until 4/2009, PV 12mg moderate use since then.

Wow, combine the first and last posts in this thread plus the high blood pressure and this is me!

2 months ago - high blood pressure discovered, blood tests, urine tests, EKG, Echo-cardiogram. Nothing wrong. Even cholestesterol well within limits. Blood Pressure coming down since then with medication.

12/20/2009 - moderate chest pain for about 15 minutes
12/21/2009 (early am) - ditto
12/21/2009 10:30 am - starts again
12/21/2009 noon - no relief, in an ambulance
12/21/2009 1pm - greater pain but stable with blood thinners, etc., tests being repeated
12/21/2009 4pm - heart attack confirmed
12/21/2009 late - artery was 99% closed now opened stent inserted
12/24/2009 back home, doing well

The thing I want to emphasize here is how hard it can be to confirm you are having a heart attack even when it seems obvious. Sometimes, the EKG, blood tests, etc. keep turning up nothing and they keep repeating the tests. In my case it turned out to be the artery called LAD (aka the Widow Maker). When under attack, cells in the heart start dying and enter the bloodstream. In these cells are two enzymes whose levels are measured in repeated blood tests. Elevating levels is how the attack was confirmed for me.

At least this is all my understanding so far. I knew nothing about this eight days ago and have an appointment with my cardiologist in two days. I do know this - if you are having chest pain go get it checked out with all the tests. Do not dismiss it out of hand.

I also know this - there is a hospital in Georgetown, SC with some wonderful doctors.

gjrhine

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Sunny South Carolina
Hope you are feeling Ok now GJ. Will you go on vaping?

C.

I am feeling well. I took a few vapes today with no ill affects. It's all so new I need to do a lot more research. One of the doctors knew of PVs, another did not. Neither offered an opinion unless I missed it. Some of the four days was pretty much a blur.

I need to find out more but in an austere sort of way I may be better protected now that before. I am on meds to control blood pressure, help keep the arteries clean, take workload off the heart (don't ask me how that works), control cholesterol, I'm off table salt and will have regular cardiologist appointments. It may be that something else has to kill me.

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
I am feeling well. I took a few vapes today with no ill affects. It's all so new I need to do a lot more research. One of the doctors knew of PVs, another did not. Neither offered an opinion unless I missed it. Some of the four days was pretty much a blur.

I need to find out more but in an austere sort of way I may be better protected now that before. I am on meds to control blood pressure, help keep the arteries clean, take workload off the heart (don't ask me how that works), control cholesterol, I'm off table salt and will have regular cardiologist appointments. It may be that something else has to kill me.

I understand what you're saying there - it is good to know that you are getting thorough treatment for a known condition! Far better than not knowing what is wrong.
Keep us posted as to how you are doing.

Best,
:)

C.

Haytoni

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
N.W. Florida
I am so glad I am not alone with these chest pains, I have a very tight chest at the moment and have never felt this bad in all the time I was smoking.

A couple of days ago I saw a private doctor in reference to a lung matter from years ago, he gave me a really good going over and stated that there is nothing wrong, lung function and blood pressure are all fine...so why am I in so much pain...even thinking of going back to smoking...was much better off!
My advice if your having problems vaping, then by all means give it up, and go back to smoking analogs. If you still have a problem then it's time to give up all of it. What ever route you take, wishing you the best.

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
My advice if your having problems vaping, then by all means give it up, and go back to smoking analogs. If you still have a problem then it's time to give up all of it. What ever route you take, wishing you the best.

No offense, Haytoni, but that is really bad advice. I would NEVER suggest someone go back to cigarettes under any circumstance.
Definitely go see a doctor if you are having a lot of trouble.

mini_art

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
Florida USA
I seriously wish people would just Google cigarette withdrawel symptoms before they go off the deep end, chest pains and shortness of breath are symptoms of stopping smoking,along with a whole bunch of other odd things.

Sorry, but I see this over and over again. Do your research people and calm down.
If in doubt See Your Doctor!

Kimmy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
I seriously wish people would just Google cigarette withdrawel symptoms before they go off the deep end, chest pains and shortness of breath are symptoms of stopping smoking,along with a whole bunch of other odd things.

Sorry, but I see this over and over again. Do your research people and calm down.
If in doubt See Your Doctor!

While this is true, it may not be true for everyone. I have been vaping for 6+ months and I have been having chest pains. I had a chest x-ray done, all looks normal. A pulmonary function test done, did well on that, but I need to start using my inhaler more.

The doctor thinks I need to get my asthma and allergies under control. He also believes it could be severe anxiety. In the meantime, I have a whole mess of other tests this week to rule out anything medical. Chest pains are symptoms you should never ignore.

In my opinion, I have been a slight hypochondriac ever since I started vaping. While I observed several health benefits (elimination of morning cough, and all coughing in general), as time goes by and I've been vaping longer, I am starting to notice side effects.

We need to remember these were invented with the intention of just being used while inside and not being able to smoke. These are not things that were intended to replace smoking entirely. Also, I doubt using these things for the rest of our lives is a good idea, like many seem to believe. Just my opinion.

I think we are all so nervous because of the lack of studies done that we associate every ache and pain with vaping, but I also believe we shouldn't just dismiss it as such. Doing so would be extremely irresponsible, especially because we are all different. Giving the advice that it is something else other than vaping is fine and dandy, but each one of us is different. Vaping will not agree with everyone, it is not a cure, it is not 100% safe, and the long term side effects are unknown.

I'll keep everyone updated. I have had to cut down substantially on my vaping, which has seemed to help, but I'm 21 years old. Should I really be having chest pains?

KuiHiggins

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2010
Honolulu, HI
I've also noticed a few sharp pains that last only a second or two from time to time when vaping high level nic. I've never had heart burn before or any kind of chest pain for that matter. I'm 24 and pretty healthy if that makes a difference. My co-worker who just got a Tornado starter kit is much older than I, and is having much worse ailments when he vapes. I got him a 24mg nic because he smokes like a choo choo train and I thought the high nic would help him with quitting analogs. I told him to order some 12mg nic in the same flavor and see if that helps. If that's too light then he can combine the two and result in 18mg nic. I really hope that it's not e-cig related but I'm almost positive that it is.

timbest

Apr 28, 2010
Seattle
Some theories from an un-qualified passer by:
Since starting vaping 2 weeks ago I have noticed anxiety related ailments when I vape. These include pains in my upper back and the feeling of being short of breath. I have had mild anxiety issues in the past and I can recognize the symptoms in myself now. I have also had the same type of problems when using the patch in the past.
Much of these symptoms were aided when I went to low doses of nic (6mg level).

I don't why I don't get these symtoms from smoking. My theory is that when I am smoking I get the nicotine stimulant with a depressant at the same time. The depressant being one of those 4,000 chemicals or maybe just carbon monoxide. When I am vaping I get all stimulant with no depressant. Similar to drinking 10 cups of coffee for me.

I am still playing with nic doses along with pg/vg trying to make the perfect formula for me, if I find it I will pass it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread