Status
Not open for further replies.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
If you'd like to see what it looks like to actually land on an alien world have a look at this, a landing on Titan, a moon of Saturn, by the space craft Huygens -

Astronomy Picture of the Day

Just a quick note that this will change on 01-22-2013 to something different, but can be found by browsing back through the previous photos.

Konstantine, in the US we are all protected heavily, from ourselves, by our Government. As a kid I used to be able to buy all sorts of chemicals, fire crackers, BB guns and many other things, that today, are considered far too dangerous for adults to have, let alone children. After all, we might hurt ourselves. I understand there is a study on to determine the effectiveness of installing padding on all sharp edges found in the typical home to reduce injury from falls or bumping into them. There are already regulations on faucets and bath faucets limiting the temperature of the hot water they can dispense. In the US, common sense and personal responsibility are vanishing traits, replaced by regulation to protect us from ourselves.

Last edited:

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
One last bird photo. This is a blue jay I discovered while walking on my street. He must have been injured, though I didn't see any obvious signs. But he didn't fly away, and I got quite close to him to get this photo. Who knows? Maybe he had been someone's pet and just wasn't afraid of people.

IMG_0031_zps9d8fae5d.jpeg

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
If you'd like to see what it looks like to actually land on an alien world have a look at this, a landing on Titan, a moon of Saturn, by the space craft Huygens -

Astronomy Picture of the Day

Konstantine, in the US we are all protected heavily, from ourselves, by our Government. As a kid I used to be able to buy all sorts of chemicals, fire crackers, BB guns and many other things, that today, are considered far too dangerous for adults to have, let alone children. After all, we might hurt ourselves. I understand there is a study on to determine the effectiveness of installing padding on all sharp edges found in the typical home to reduce injury from falls or bumping into them. There are already regulations on faucets and bath faucets limiting the temperature of the hot water they can dispense. In the US, common sense and personal responsibility are vanishing traits, replaced by regulation to protect us from ourselves.

WOW! Thanks for posting this, I bookmarked it since there is a different image posted each day.

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
One last bird photo. This is a blue jay I discovered while walking on my street. He must have been injured, though I didn't see any obvious signs. But he didn't fly away, and I got quite close to him to get this photo. Who knows? Maybe he had been someone's pet and just wasn't afraid of people.

IMG_0031_zps9d8fae5d.jpeg

He's so pretty! Hope it wasn't injured.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
WOW! Thanks for posting this, I bookmarked it since there is a different image posted each day.

APOD is my "homepage" and I use a lot of their photos for wallpaper. Some of them are really awe inspiring and remind me of how insignificant the human race actually is in the grand scheme of the Universe.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Good morning Volties! Coffee's on and blueberry muffins hot from the oven for everybody. Also, take a look at this adorable video "dog teaches puppy to come down steps"...

Puppy teaching Puppy to go down stairs! SO cute! - ORIGINAL VIDEO! (from owner) - YouTube

Like I said above, I think animals know more than we often give them credit for. And the older dog reminded me a lot of my dog friend Gilbert, a really special, kind dog. Maybe they should make a breed of this yellow dog mutt kind of dog. No, I guess then they'd ruin it.

Raynes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Alabama,USA

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
Just participated in my first CASAA online meeting. If you have a couple of hours every other Sunday, you should join (it's free) and listen in. Amazing what the folks across the pond are dealing with the EU trying to ban ecigs! Also, lots of good ideas have been presented on how we in the US can fight this battle.

What time does it start?

White Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Originally Posted by Raynes

Thanks Rabbit,sorry to have to put you through all that trouble.

I caused him "trouble", too. And there's a few others that need to be added, too, though.....hope they come around.

Not a problem ladies, just glad I can share a little of my meager talents at my age. Thanks for the coffee this morning, after my unusual binge during the game last night I needed some coffee. Heading to Wally Mart this AM, looking for a Ravens sweatshirt, but not likely to find one after last nights game. Catch you all later.

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
Like I said above, I think animals know more than we often give them credit for. And the older dog reminded me a lot of my dog friend Gilbert, a really special, kind dog. Maybe they should make a breed of this yellow dog mutt kind of dog. No, I guess then they'd ruin it.

Gilbert and the dog in the video do resemble. They look like yellow labrador retrievers.

dwsizme

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2012
Michigan
Oh yeah, we had a small conure that would talk. I used to tell people DO NOT PICK UP THE BIRD! no matter how cute he is.

He'd say "I'm a pretty boy" and other cooing phrases. Then the moment someone reached over to pet him he would leap onto their arm, run up and start biting their neck. I don't know how many times I peeled that vicious bird off someone. He would bite me too while I was getting him off them and backto his cage.

A toucanette is a small toucan. They eat dogfood and fruit. He was so cute. He had such an attitude like "I'm a Tooke, tooke, tooke." He looked like a Z. He was 1/3 beak/ 1/3 body and 1/3 stiff tail. He couldn't fly very well so he would take off and then when he reached his branch, he would grab onto it with his feet and full speed. Bang and he would tip over and then recover and look like he had planned it that way all along.

African greys are amazing and super intelligent.

Yeah he is really smart. Too smart for his own good. When we are eating he rings (and rings and rings) his bell demanding some of what we have. He says a lot of things and even imitates the coffee pot (drove me crazy trying to figure out what that noise was), the beep, beep, beep of a truck backing up and even the squeak of my husbands tennis shoe. He yells at the dogs. He's funny. We call him our "son". He's really got his own personality.

Yes, I remember reading about one named Alec who could talk and make sense. He knew words for things and didn't just repeat stuff. I think animals know more than we give them credit for.

Yeah, birds are amazing. I don't know, though, after he's gone (but they live a long time so I worry he will outlive me) I don't think I'll ever have another bird. They're messy and I feel sorry for him not having much to do all day. We keep him by a window so he can see what's going on - he's in a macaw cage, so it's really roomy for him and we also have large ferret cage out in the backyard so we can take him out with us when we are back there (in the summer). But it's not a natural environment for him. We've had him since since he was a baby so he doesn't know any other life....but still. I feel bad for caged animals now. He needs more to do.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Yeah he is really smart. Too smart for his own good. When we are eating he rings (and rings and rings) his bell demanding some of what we have. He says a lot of things and even imitates the coffee pot (drove me crazy trying to figure out what that noise was), the beep, beep, beep of a truck backing up and even the squeak of my husbands tennis shoe. He yells at the dogs. He's funny. We call him our "son". He's really got his own personality.

Yeah, birds are amazing. I don't know, though, after he's gone (but they live a long time so I worry he will outlive me) I don't think I'll ever have another bird. They're messy and I feel sorry for him not having much to do all day. We keep him by a window so he can see what's going on - he's in a macaw cage, so it's really roomy for him and we also have large ferret cage out in the backyard so we can take him out with us when we are back there (in the summer). But it's not a natural environment for him. We've had him since since he was a baby so he doesn't know any other life....but still. I feel bad for caged animals now. He needs more to do.

We had a parakeet back when I was a kid, and we left his cage door open so he could come and go as he pleased. He would fly into the bathroom and hang upside down looking into the mirror for hours. When we ate, he would fly onto the table and join us at meals. The drawback to leaving a bird loose is that one day when my grandmother was letting the cat out the back door, he landed on her head, as he often did with us. She felt something on her head and reached up, scaring him, and he flew out the door, never to be seen again. Philadelphia doesn't have the climate that would enable a parakeet to survive, so I'm sure he must have died, at least when winter came. I had other parakeets after him, but none were so tame and companionable.

When we lived outside San Francisco, Bill told me there was a place near Daly City, I think, where there was a whole flock of parakeets, all escapees, most likely. I guess winters were mild enough in California that they could survive.

Bluesman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
PA USA
I've been a baseball fan ever since I was a young boy. No favorite team. I can watch any game, have no rooting interest, and enjoy it no matter who wins or loses.

That said, I do not watch or follow football. When I was in the hospial one of the nurses asked me who was going to win the football game. I had no idea what she was talking about, so I dumbly asked, "Who's playing?"

She told me the Ravens were playing somebody else. (I don't remember who that somebody else was.)

Of course I picked the Ravens. (Get it? Ravens... Raven... rave.)

The nurse told me the next day I was right. The Ravens did win. So, I have been looking at the results since that game. (I'm sorry to the football fans, I cannot watch football.)

I guess they've been in the playoffs at the end of the regular season. Yesterday they had the final games to see who would be playing in the Super Bowl. Yes, even I know what the Super Bowl is - the final game of the football season to determine the best team in the NFL.

And, guess what? The Ravens will be playing the 49ers in the Super Bowl. Be careful who you pick in this one.

Awsum, I need your standard terms of disclosure at the end of this post.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
Hey, Reptlr, sorry to hear of your sleepiness. I have been sleeping a bit extra lately myself. I think it is because it is so cold out but I have also felt like I have had a touch of some sort of bug or two or three:) A couple of weeks ago I was running for the bathroom [if you know what I mean], briefly passed out, got into bed and felt fine the next day. I heard there is some nasty diseases going around and I am pretty sure I have had at least one of them:)

Hope you perk up soon.

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
I've been a baseball fan ever since I was a young boy. No favorite team. I can watch any game, have no rooting interest, and enjoy it no matter who wins or loses.

That said, I do not watch or follow football. When I was in the hospial one of the nurses asked me who was going to win the football game. I had no idea what she was talking about, so I dumbly asked, "Who's playing?"

She told me the Ravens were playing somebody else. (I don't remember who that somebody else was.)

Of course I picked the Ravens. (Get it? Ravens... Raven... rave.)

The nurse told me the next day I was right. The Ravens did win. So, I have been looking at the results since that game. (I'm sorry to the football fans, I cannot watch football.)

I guess they've been in the playoffs at the end of the regular season. Yesterday they had the final games to see who would be playing in the Super Bowl. Yes, even I know what the Super Bowl is - the final game of the football season to determine the best team in the NFL.

And, guess what? The Ravens will be playing the 49ers in the Super Bowl. Be careful who you pick in this one.

Awsum, I need your standard terms of disclosure at the end of this post.

Ah! So YOU were their lucky charm! Thanks Blues and a very good morning to ya!!!

I guess you're the reason I thought to make " Bluesberry muffins today! ;) :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread