The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Citrus e-juice vs. my Mini Protank atomizer base

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by cloud.nine, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. cloud.nine

cloud.nine Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Sedona, AZ
    I was refilling my Mini Protank II with Alice in Vapeland's 'Mystic Mandalime' (great flavor btw!) and the tissue I used to wipe up stray drops of juice touched the darker-metallic atomizer base, and it removed the dark finish!

Mystic-Mandalimed on the left, original-colored on the right:
    [​IMG]

I'm still vaping on this after rinsing everything off, but slowly the rest of the dark finish is just disappearing.
    Now I will have a mini protank that isn't two-toned! :blink:

:vapor:

2. HandbananA

HandbananA Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    USA, Florida
    That's why I hate plated anything. I wish they would just make an all Stainless version

3. shynsly

shynsly Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Chicago
    well if it was me i would be kinda scared of that juice period if it took plating off..........jus my :2c:

4. mojozip

mojozip Full Member

Sep 26, 2013
    United States
    That's what makes citrus based cleaning products so effective, and why I need to drink OJ on the rocks!

5. cloud.nine

cloud.nine Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Sedona, AZ
    Yes! and now I have an all stainless version :2cool:

Other citrus e-juices might do this, too. Mystic Mandalime is a very citrus juice with no added creaminess. I have used GLV's 'Corrosion' with this tank before (citrus with coconut, a creamier vape) and it didn't affect the plating like this.
    However, I have no qualms vaping AiV's Mystic Mandalime! Though it did this to plating, it doesn't affect human skin in the same way. My fingers, mouth and lungs are still intact!

6. Myrany

Myrany Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 14, 2013
    Louisiana
    My skin will do that to plated stuff. It is why I don't wear Jewelry much. Kinda gets expensive when you can only wear gold. LOL

7. Susan W.

Susan W. Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 30, 2013
    Torrance, CA
    I'd probably sand the rest of the finish off so it doesn't look so yucky. Unless you like that rustic worn look. That's cool too. [​IMG]

8. crxess

crxess Grumpy Ole Man Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Citrus juices are acidic - First 4 letters ACID:) Harsh on Brass finishes also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.