Clapton Coil or Regular SS Wire For 1.5 OHM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boodaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2016
Ohio
I got a couple Innokin Axiom tanks coming this week, and wanted to know what you guys think about Clapton vs regular SS wire for this deck? I want to go with a single coil build for this at 1.5ohm. I like vaping at 14.7W, but I also chain vape. Just about 6ML throughout the day.

I was reading Clapton coils take some time to cool off, and might be the best idea for chain vaping, but wanted to get your opinions. I'm not sure what gauge to go with either. Was thinking 26 gauge would be pushing it with this tiny deck.

Appreciate any advice you can offer!

Thanks!!

Boodaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2016
Ohio
Which SS? I use 316L and it is lower ohm resistance than Kanthal. A single coil at 2.5mm with 30ga will take around 9-10 wraps to get to 1.5ohm. Do you have enough space?

I was looking at the 316L as well. There was a YouTube reviewer that used Clapton on his dual build, and it was 36g around dual 32g. 9-10 wraps might work, but might be a little tight. Will have to look into that. 1.0ohm might work out better. Appreciate your time

Last edited:

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
A 1.5ohm Clapton?

I only one of one type of Clapton coil that is over 1ohm. Joytech makes their BF Clapton coils at 1.5ohms, but theirs is a 32ga wire that's wrapped with 36ga. It's very, very thin wire to combat the heat issues.

Clapton and large high ohm coils are generally two different ways to achieve the same thing. Trying to combine them will almost certainly lead to problems. Claptons generally take a lot of power to heat up and a long time to cool back down, so they're usually around .5ohm coils. Unless you're using extremely thin wire like Joytech you'll probably be in a situation where you'll have to puff away like a train on the atty for a good 15 seconds or more after letting off the firing button to keep from burning the wick.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
I got a couple Innokin Axiom tanks coming this week, and wanted to know what you guys think about Clapton vs regular SS wire for this deck? I want to go with a single coil build for this at 1.5ohm. I like vaping at 14.7W, but I also chain vape. Just about 6ML throughout the day.

I was reading Clapton coils take some time to cool off, and might be the best idea for chain vaping, but wanted to get your opinions. I'm not sure what gauge to go with either. Was thinking 26 gauge would be pushing it with this tiny deck.

Appreciate any advice you can offer!

Thanks!!
Boodaddy, those wires are typically not used to build 1.5ohm builds.

You need to grab an atty with a bigger deck. That sounds like a 28g deck to build on. Working with thin springy wire is very tedious.

Reactions: Boodaddy

Boodaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2016
Ohio
Boodaddy, those wires are typically not used to build 1.5ohm builds.

You need to grab an atty with a bigger deck. That sounds like a 28g deck to build on. Working with thin springy wire is very tedious.

Yea, I'm gonna go with regular wire. Will try 28 & 26g, see which one works best. If it wasn't for the mod 10s cutoff, I would try the Clapton's just for kicks lol. Really appreciate your time, and help guys!

Reactions: WharfRat1976
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread