Cleaning 902 Attys

Status
Not open for further replies.

scheherezade

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
VA Beach
All right, I haven't been on a lot lately, school, work and family all with a few demands on my time that exceed the usual, but my 2 cents for cleaning attys. Rinse with hot water for about 10 seconds on both ends, drop them in some vodka in a container with a lid. Then swirl them gently once every 5 minutes for about 15 minutes (I usually do this while I'm cleaning up the kitchen). Rinse with hot water one more time, blow them out then set them up to dry. I got my first order from Tony in Feb, and all my attys are still working. Granted, I bought a lot of them, but they're not all in rotation because I haven't had to use them. One thing though, after a while, you will get some nicks to the paint on them. I've only noticed it on my black one, but it gets used just about every day, so not too bad. Of course, it helps when you're starting with a great product! I've used this on both the sidesho and 902 attys. I also use rubbing alcohol periodically to clean the battery connections. Don't soak them, just dip a q-tip in the alcohol and wipe with that.

snottyragsdale

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2010
New York State
Obviously, however, for an atty to last 3 months, it has to be cleaned. Why claim a life on an atty and NOT make a profit off of fulfilling that claim? Plus, many people buy multiple attys for sole use with different flavors. Not to mention they could raise the price of the solution and/or attys to make up for selling less attys.

Last edited:

cainne

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2010
Houston
Just being paranoid ;)

I'd guess that honestly part of it would come down to what's in it. If, for example, the best solution was simply alcohol, rubbing alcohol or vodka, etc, it would have to be labeled as such and people would just get a bottle at the drug store or grocery store for ease. Much like tony recommends cleaning battery / atty connections with rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip. Who'd buy a bottle of rubbing alcohol from him for that?

The only way it'd be worth selling was if it was a somewhat unusual compound and who's to say that is what is best?

scheherezade

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
VA Beach
4 month attys! Sell me yours scheherezade! Mine work for 2 to 3 wks! I suppose I'll have to get some vodka and store it in a rubbing alcohol bottle so as I won't be tempted to drink it! Only thing I wonder about is that vodka has a lower percentage of alcohol than rubbing alcohol.

I think the vodka acts as a solvent for the sticky stuff that gums up the bridge and the holes. I'm not sure the % of alcohol matters beyond a certain point, but I've heard people swear by Everclear too. I don't use rubbing alcohol because I don't want to end up inhaling it if I miss some when I rinse. I doubt that would happen or that it would be a big problem in small amounts, but just being safe. My attys get cleaned fairly often when I clean the cartridges and mouthpiece. I think that if you're inhaling it (cartridges in particular), you should make sure that you're not bringing any bacteria in with it. Remember, these don't have all the lovely toxic chemicals to kill the bacteria like the cigarettes we used to smoke ;)

grndzero

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I've had really good luck in the past with the steam idea. I have one of the home steam cleaners and hitting the atomizer from both sides for about 30 seconds and letting it dry overnight worked for me to revive an atty that was losing performance.

One trick someone taught me that's good for not only cleaning out the atomizer a bit but also get's out stuck in flavors (and burnt taste) it to get some USP grade Glycerin (Walmart Health And Beauty Section) and put a drop in the atomizer and vape it a few times, but not until it's totally dry. Do that once or twice then blow the atomizer out into a napkin or paper towel. This is good for priming new attys too, but it's best since it's a no flavor, no additive way to clean out the atty without dry burning it. A wet wick is a happy atty.

I think really think it mostly depends on what liquid you are using and how much of it you are vaping. I have tried at least 7 different vendors juice and a lot of them seem to have unhealthy stuff for atomizers (impurities, colorings, etc). I originally got my 902 kit at the end of February w/ 3 atomizers and they all died in about 2 months.

Since I have been mixing my own juice for the last 2 months and know the exact ingredients and their quality my atomizers have not needed nearly as much maintenance and I haven't noticed any loss of performance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread