Status
Not open for further replies.

stillalive

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
USA
Hi,
I'm not bad with mechanical things, but I'm not familiar with how clearomizers work and I really want to make some xl clearos with purple LEDs inside them. Can anyone offer a link to a step-by-step instruction guide? What kind of tools am I going to need? Are there pictures anywhere? Do I need to cut the little black wires?

Thanks!

Silent Soldier

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2011
Saint Petersburg, Florida USA
Short leg of the LED is the cathode, it gets soldered to the base, long leg is the anode, it gets soldered to a resistor that then gets soldered to the center post. No need to cut the black wires, all you need in theory is a soldering iron, solder, and some wire cutters, though some handy hands to hold everything for you is recommended.

Last edited:

stillalive

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
USA
do I still need a resistor if the LED is meant to take 3.0 to 4.5 volts and I'm using a 3.2 to 3.7 v battery? I'm ashamed to say that my dad and brother are both electricians and I still am not sure about this stuff, lol.

What are the wire cutters for? Cutting the legs of the LED? If I ever figure this out I think I need to make a Dummy's guide to adding LEDs. :laugh:

Silent Soldier

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2011
Saint Petersburg, Florida USA
200ohm I think, if you get your LED's from madvapes they come with 470ohm resistors. yea 30w is plenty I think, you might need some flux too and definitely use lead free rosin core solder, getting a good joint on the base and center post can be a royal PITA.

SL380508.jpg

SL380509.jpg

1008650283x600.jpg

harmonic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Desoto, Mo
yes resistor yes but silent solders pic showed led with resistor on the leg but the pic of the clearo looks like a different square led and no resistor.
also I have tried several and have not found a round led that is bright enough to light it up. they just glow. i think it needs to be a different kind of led? maybe smd or something.... come on some electronics ppl out there whats brightest led and where to get it?
good work stillalive i hope your stuff comes soon lol

Capers

Verified Member
May 16, 2011
Riverview, FL
You can always put two LEDs in series (for 3.7V, not higher, see below for series explanation), they will each drop the voltage by ~1.6 volts and provide twice the light. The problem with one LED on 3.7 V is it will burn up because the voltage is too high, so the LED takes on too much current. When you put two in series, the first one consumes ~1.6v (varies by LED, look for threshold voltage), leaving 2.1v for the second LED (which is only slightly higher than the optimal voltage, but it will still outlive the clearo). Since the second LED consumes another ~1.6v, the first one doesn't receive the full 3.7 since the second is dropping the total voltage.

Each LED (in fact all diodes) require a threshold voltage in order to allow the current to pass through it, each diode (LED) will reduce the voltage by that threshold down the chain. For example, when I was a kid, I had a home stereo that put out 48 volts (at max audio output, that's was what the power pack had as the input voltage), I soldered a chain of 20 something LEDs in series, so they would light along with the bass. Didn't need a resistor because over the entire chain, they were all dropping the voltage together, now this meant I had to turn it up kind of loud before the voltage threshold was enough to jump across all LEDs (1.6 x # of LEDs).

To put them in series, just put the negative (-) lead from one LED to the positive (+) lead of the next LED. It's just like 2 AA batteries, plus to minus to add the voltage.

The second LED will be a little more dim than the first LED, but not by much. If you have a 5v battery, you could put 3 LEDs in series assuming they have a 1.6v threshold since 1.6 x 3 = 4.8v. However, as the battery gets weaker the voltage will drop below 4.8v and stop lighting them up, even though it could still operate the clearo fine for much longer. Of course, you could still do 2 in series, but would need a resistor.

To calculate the right resistor, you want to keep the amount of watts consistent with the wattage rating of the LED. So if you have a 500mW (0.5 watt) LED running at 3.7V (talking about a single LED only):

P = Power (watts)
E = Volts
I = Current (amps/milliamps)
R = Resistance (ohms)

Find the amount of amps necessary to generate 0.5 watts:

I = P / E - 0.5 (watts) / 3.7 = 0.13514 amps

Then find the resistance required to keep 3.7v flowing at 0.13514 amps:

R = E / I - 3.7 (volts) / 0.13514 (amps) = 27.31 ohms.

Now, keep in mind that the LED creates some resistance itself by using the power, so you can use a little lower ohms; I'm not exactly sure here, but maybe start with 10% less?

Google Ohm's Law Calculator for more formulas.

Hope this helps!

Edit: I forgot that I did have a resistor on my speaker LEDs. I did the same calculations above, but used 48V and the sum of the milliwatts (then converted to watts for the purpose of the formula) of all of the LEDs to derive the proper ohms to prevent them from frying.

Last edited:

harmonic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Desoto, Mo
well fyi the leds i got from radio shack light up ok they just don't put out much and you have to be looking almost at it. its even dimmer if you see it from the side. I don't think they would transfer much light to the liquid :( now when i take the little plug out of the end of my eciggy and puff on it the led in there is super bright. Also I see pics ppl got leds that shine brightly. Where can I get bright ones?
Thankyou capers for the math lesson. I used an ohms law calc to work it out lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread