Cloud Chaser Builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

raltenbach

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2009
West Allis, WI USA
My latest cloud chaser build. 22g dual (nearly) vertical coil, 1mm spacing around a 5/32 drill bit. It is the wicking that makes this thing really kick. Cotton yarn cut to form a wind tunnel around the coil. The holes in the Stillare top cap sit right on the exposed coils.
photo(10).jpg

Nanooks

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Salt Lake
I think I cooked my center post in that build. I really don't like 22 gauge, was easy to work with, but took a long time to cool down after heating the coils. I got 24 gauge 6/5 wrap on my 22mm and 26 gauge 10/9 parallel on my 28.5mm. Both ohm out at .25 with a 3mm diameter. I favor the 26 parallel, better response, more density, but it does morph the flavor a little, not in a bad way. I got another large tobh on the way, and going to start messing around with triparallel builds.

Nanooks

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Salt Lake
maybe you should try some of that gplat.... i know i would be if i could get hold of it easy enough.. im in england uk

I read on redit that the company refuses to release msds or metal content. I won't vape on anything I don't know. For those that have tried it its not that much better than kanthal

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
I read on redit that the company refuses to release msds or metal content. I won't vape on anything I don't know. For those that have tried it its not that much better than kanthal

oh really! are you sure this isnt just someone trying to give it a bad review, about it being about the same as kanthal.

i did see something posted with some msg's back and forth from/to a supplier...

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA

It's just a Nichrome (Nickle Chromium) blend, basically Nichrome with a little extra nickle thrown in there. I actually tested it with my metal detector XD. It's AWESOME stuff nooks, I'd check it out if you ever are wondering. I'm straight up hooked on it now, because you can build super low ohm coils, but those coils can still have huge surface area of larger coils, so more hot coils in contact with juicy wick.

Look at this massive coil that's only 0.1ohms, and it heats up just as fast as kanthal at the same ohm (cools down faster too).

Ti6lvbS.png

W4LM0sc.png

Here's what a .08 looks like since you were making one too. (Btw only use a 50amp 26650 with below .1)
RHowB9z.png

Nanooks

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Salt Lake
Slip, I would do parallel before quads unless you have dedicated air flow for each coil. Tree has a nice thread for them.

I guess I am a little timid trying a .08 build again. Even the tobh clones have the best insulators footer the center post, and I melted mine....slightly.

Tree, did you try the .08 coil or just make it? If you tried it, what did you think?

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Slip, I would do parallel before quads unless you have dedicated air flow for each coil. Tree has a nice thread for them.

I guess I am a little timid trying a .08 build again. Even the tobh clones have the best insulators footer the center post, and I melted mine....slightly.

Tree, did you try the .08 coil or just make it? If you tried it, what did you think?

yup i gotsa W-6 on the way to play with, four seperate air intakes on it :)

Nanooks

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Salt Lake
It's just a Nichrome (Nickle Chromium) blend, basically Nichrome with a little extra nickle thrown in there. I actually tested it with my metal detector XD. (Btw only use a 50amp 26650 with below .1)

30 amp = 0.14 ohm
35 amp = 0.12 ohm = Hard wired in my brain
50 amp = 0.08 ohm

I honestly haven't used Nichrome yet. I will have to get some cheap stuff and try that for a bit. If I like I will give Gplat a go. What's this metal detector XD? (I think your joking, but secretly hoping there is such a device)

juggalofisher88

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So looking into Nichrome let me throw down some numbers for my reference:

Kanthal A-1: Nichrome 60:
22 Gauge: 1.31 1.05
24 Gauge: 2.07 1.67
26 Gauge: 3.31 2.67
28 Gauge: 5.27 4.21

6 wrap, 3mm: 70 mm
6 wrap, 2.4mm: 60mm
6 wrap, 2mm: 50mm

Also here is my first Triparallel 28 gauge (.2 ohms):
segymaje.jpg
oh wow so that's a dual triparallel? 6 coils??? that's insAne!
I bet she vapes like a beaut!

to your first set of numbers is that the two wires ohms-per-foot?

sig-153231.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread