Cloupor Mini Mod 30W

Status
Not open for further replies.

AquaJoe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
Northeast, Pa
Please continue your research. You have missed quite a few reports/news stories.
E-cig exploded under Desk of worker - Wall charging
E-cig Launched like Rocket - Charging on counter behind Pub Bar

It doesn't matter WHERE the power is coming from, the CHARGER is the issue. Some are CRAP!

Thanks for the info. I couldn't find the first one, but the second one about the pub I found said they used an iPad charger to plug the ego USB into. An iPad charger!! That puts out 12 watts!! What did they think was going to happen? A rapid charge?

But you are right, the charger is the issue. It should be able to regulate the power going into the ecig and not rely on the power supply (i.e wall charger, laptop).

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
Thanks for the info. I couldn't find the first one, but the second one about the pub I found said they used an iPad charger to plug the ego USB into. An iPad charger!! That puts out 12 watts!! What did they think was going to happen? A rapid charge?

But you are right, the charger is the issue. It should be able to regulate the power going into the ecig and not rely on the power supply (i.e wall charger, laptop).

Cloupor states that the Mini has a max input current of 7 amps. That 12w iPad charger is only putting out 2.4amps....that shouldn't be causing any issues.

Elyptic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2014
Upstate NY

Just to make it clear, the wall adapter from the iPad was NOT the issue. You should be able to plug in the USB cable into a 100W wall adapter and not have a problem.

The device shouldn't pull too much power. Simple as that. The problem is that the device is not regulated properly or had an issue where it pulls too much power and fries itself.

Bits scrambled by Tapatalk...

Fergie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
Toronto, Canada,
Just got my second Mini today (Gotta have backups right). Every bit as good as the first one. Got some Munchies in a Tek Tank ( all SS Protank)
"Munchies could be compared to a chocolate eclair donut topped with nuts. We usually just describe it as chocolatey, creamy, nutty goodness! "
Great juices at ITCvapes.

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
I hope. 8-o

After a week of chain vaping this thing I can whole-heartedly vouch that it's "Klutz" proof. Mine has survived multiple drops onto concrete and other than a few dings (and fetching the battery cover from under furniture) it's just fine.

This should be the last mod stop for yours truly. It's got everything I ever wanted. I can nit about the lack of a spring loaded 510 pin but that's about it. Even the sleep timer doesn't bother me like it does some here - you just get used to it and don't even give it a second thought. A 2500mah battery will get me well through the day with my vaping habits. What a nice, well-engineered piece of workmanship. I've certainly done much worse for $40.

I will certainly miss "the hunt" for that elusive mod but will continue to do my part for this industry by throwing the kids' inheritance at other assorted vape gear.

Croak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Right behind you...
I've had mine 3 weeks today. Still vaping like a champ, and keep in mind I'm vaping up to 20ml per day at 25w+ on it as my sole APV, with 3-4 battery changes daily. So, I reckon about six months worth of use compared to the average vaper. :)

Silver finish is holding up great, no scuffs, just one small scratch on the logo side from a drop and slide across a dirty linoleum floor in a restaurant.

I'm a happy camper, and I should endeavour to persevere with this affordable little mod, but crxess has got me thinking about the reasonably priced 70w IPV Mini v2, and what I really want is one of these:

Comes in an SX350 or DNA40 version (DNA video link below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHHzNagrPlQ

Last edited:

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
I hope. 8-o

After a week of chain vaping this thing I can whole-heartedly vouch that it's "Klutz" proof. Mine has survived multiple drops onto concrete and other than a few dings (and fetching the battery cover from under furniture) it's just fine.

This should be the last mod stop for yours truly. It's got everything I ever wanted. I can nit about the lack of a spring loaded 510 pin but that's about it. Even the sleep timer doesn't bother me like it does some here - you just get used to it and don't even give it a second thought. A 2500mah battery will get me well through the day with my vaping habits. What a nice, well-engineered piece of workmanship. I've certainly done much worse for $40.

I will certainly miss "the hunt" for that elusive mod but will continue to do my part for this industry by throwing the kids' inheritance at other assorted vape gear.

Kodiak,

Three days---which is how long I've had the my silver Cloupor Mini's preordered from gearbest for $29.99 (with a black one ordered later on the way)---is not a long enough trial period to make a firm judgment, but so far I'm loving mine. An iStick 30W arrived the same day, and it's a nice PV, everything I hoped it would be as an upgrade to my iStick 20s. Though the vape experience of the iStick and Cloupor are effectively identical, I find myself reaching for the Cloupor twice as often, because it feels more solid and substantial.

My Cloupor's battery door did have a slight side-to-side clicking occasionally, but I fixed that with the discreet application of two narrow strips of Scotch tape to the door's inner side edges. Now the door is silent and secure.

Aesthetically, I prefer the iStick's rounded, more graceful, and ergonomic shape over the Cloupor's boxier case design, but, in real-life use, the Cloupor's size and shape feel fine in my hand. The iStick 30's spring-loaded floating positive pin in the 510 connector is admittedly more convenient for the user than the screw-adjustable pin of the Mini, but both are far superior to a fixed pin. On the other hand, I much prefer the Cloupor's user-replaceable 18650 IMR over the iStick's USB-recharged 18650 LiPo. Swapping out the 2500mAh LG/Samsung battery is quick and easy. One minute, and I'm back in business. I also prefer the tactile sensation of the Cloupor's smaller round fire button. The 0.8 second delay in firing when the Cloupor's display reawakens from sleep doesn't bother me. Slowing down my draw to compensate for the short delay has already become second nature.

I wonder if Cloupor might come out with a 50W version in the same or a similar case?

Major911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2014
Grand Island, FL, USA
I've had mine 3 weeks today. Still vaping like a champ, and keep in mind I'm vaping up to 20ml per day at 25w+ on it as my sole APV, with 3-4 battery changes daily. So, I reckon about six months worth of use compared to the average vaper. :)

Silver finish is holding up great, no scuffs, just one small scratch on the logo side from a drop and slide across a dirty linoleum floor in a restaurant.

I'm a happy camper, and I should endeavour to persevere with this affordable little mod, but crxess has got me thinking about the reasonably priced 70w IPV Mini v2, and what I really want is one of these:

Great! Just when i thought my gear quest had finally been satisfied you go and post this little gem. Now the search is on again. Lol it was the DNA40 that caught my attention. I love my VF DNA40 and someone on the forum mentioned they were going to try putting a DNA40 in the cloupor mini. Im anxiously waiting to see how that goes.

Jayscuzzi

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2014
North Central, Il.
Billherbst made a post in another thread about how he fixed his side to side movement with just a little scotch tape. I just put this one strip on and the back is sturdy as can be now. Thanks Billherbst for the suggestion. I Never would have thought of this.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422539940084.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422539940084.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 83

Flapstick

Jan 12, 2015
Europa
As 20W is already overkill for my vaping habits, all this DNA40 talk goes right over my head.
But that 3D printed case is really, really nice!

Right now, I'm more interested in how long it took for you guys who ordered in China to get your CM right after your vendor said it was shipped.
I ordered (the silver one) on FT on exactly Christmas Day (a little present to myself), only to get postponed up to January 26, when it was finally „shipped” (via Singapore Post). Coincidentally, the exact same day when they also shipped me the Subtank Mini, ordered on January 23.

So, pray tell, how long it took for you? I'm going Daffy Duck crazy here, drooling for so long....

Jonner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2010
Pennsylvania

This looks just awesome......

Attachments

• i-need-to-stop-drooling-at-this_o_4423979.jpg
    i-need-to-stop-drooling-at-this_o_4423979.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 42

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California

I'm definitely interested in this...too bad it isn't yet available on Shapeways.

gmoney$

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2013
California
Billherbst made a post in another thread about how he fixed his side to side movement with just a little scotch tape. I just put this one strip on and the back is sturdy as can be now. Thanks Billherbst for the suggestion. I Never would have thought of this.

I did a similar jury-rig, but used a single small piece of electrical tape placed lengthwise starting next to the top magnet on the inside of the battery cover and wraping over the edge. I cut it just edge-side of the outside batter cover grip-pips since the tape is visible once the pips start (contrast). Otherwise nearly invisible. The tackiness of the electrical tape works perfectly to hold the cover in place firmly, and I only needed that little bit, no need to tape the whole edge. Also, like I said the black tape is nearly invisible so I'm not sure a photo is of much help. I feel like the e-tape is sturdy enough to have made a near-permanent fix.

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
Scratches and dings just add character my friend :)

and what I really want is one of these:

.......nit. Just stop.

Holy crap, it never ends. I'm going to ban myself from this joint. :D

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Some FYI...

Planet of the Vapes (UK) said:
After recommending what would otherwise be an excellent product, a defect with the board has come to light that could prove extremely dangerous.
A number of people have reported issues with their Cloupor Mini burning itself out causing not only a danger to the user but also a massive fire risk.

It seems from the images that something on the control board is shorting, heating up and eventually burning. Originally thought to be an issue with the internal charger, reports have now been coming in of the mod "combusting" while sitting unplugged in standby mode. As you can see on the pictures below, the burnout appears in the same place in each case, somewhere around the power up button. At present around 50 cases have been reported from over 100,000 sold items.

Planet of the Vapes have contacted Cloupor for a response but have so far received no communication back from them. We will continue to attempt contact with Cloupor and will update this article as any new developments arise.

Suffice to say, Planet of the Vapes do not recommend the purchase of this product at this time and would advise against continued use until an upgrade, recall or affected batch serial number range has been released. At this time we recommend that batteries are removed from the product immediately and the device put to one side, however, if you do wish to continue using the device you do so at your own risk.

We understand that a recall could be costly on this device however we feel strongly that product safety should be of utmost importance to any manufacturer.

Vaping manufacturers need to adhere to a good level of quality control on these items, especially given the level of scrutiny that vaping is under. Failure to do so could damage the entire industry.

Cloupor Mini 30W Warning - Burnouts, Bangs and Bad Construction | Planet of the Vapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread