Status
Not open for further replies.

Croak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Right behind you...
So my Mini came in today from Elev8vape and I must say that it is better than I thought it would be. It fires hotter than my VS DNA30 but it is still usable with a nautilus Mini (unlike my istick). Interestingly mine doesn't have any of the door rattle that Phil had in his video....fit and finish appear very good. In hindsight, a week from ordering to receiving the unit from Elev8vape was not bad...I'm overall pleased. This thing beats the istick 20W hands down.

Still plan on gutting it and replacing the board with the new hotness?

cowfood

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2012
Raleigh
So my Mini came in today from Elev8vape and I must say that it is better than I thought it would be. It fires hotter than my VS DNA30 but it is still usable with a Nautilus Mini (unlike my iStick). Interestingly mine doesn't have any of the door rattle that Phil had in his video....fit and finish appear very good. In hindsight, a week from ordering to receiving the unit from Elev8vape was not bad...I'm overall pleased. This thing beats the iStick 20W hands down.

How do you mean it fires hotter (I am guessing at 30w it fires the same atty with more watts than the vs at 30w. :p)? Ohh and btw thanks for the door rattle update, mine arrives tomorrow from elev8 and I was wondering how their batch fared in that regard (hopefully that batch was a good cnc). Comparing it to the istick 20w I would hope it is leagues better, rms/mean etc. although to be fair the istick 30w would be a better battle. :)
-CF

Last edited:

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
Still plan on gutting it and replacing the board with the new hotness?

I am actually not sure the DNA40 is going to fit in this thing. And the more I stare at Phil's review, the SX350 Mini probably won't fit either since there would be little room left for the USB charger....it'd likely work if you are willing to leave out the USB capability and just swap batteries. I'm actually leaning toward using my incoming DNA40 in something else and leaving this sucker alone...it's pretty good as it stands. The delay isn't as bad as it has been made out to be...one trick I've been using is to simply click the button once when I pick it up to bring up the screen...it then seems to fire straight away.

Last edited:

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
How do you mean it fires hotter (I am guessing at 30w it fires the same atty with more watts than the vs at 30w. :p)? Ohh and btw thanks for the door rattle update, mine arrives tomorrow from elev8 and I was wondering how their batch fared in that regard (hopefully that batch was a good cnc). Comparing it to the istick 20w I would hope it is leagues better, rms/mean etc. although to be fair the istick 30w would be a better battle. :)
-CF

Firing a 2 ohm coil at 7 watts the Mini is ever so slightly producing a warmer vape than the same atty on the DNA30 at 7 watts. The difference is barely noticeable and if you check Phil Busardo's respective reviews of the Mini and the DNA 30 you will see that the numbers he got for each device were relatively the same (at least until you hit the 7 volt limit of the Mini...I wish it was 8 volts like Cloupor originally stated, then it would definitely be DNA30-like). At 10 watts according to Phil, the Mini actually fires at a bit lower voltage than the DNA30. My Mini might be slightly off from Phil's numbers and firing the voltage just a bit higher than his Mini, but generally this Mini is in the same ballpark as a DNA30. I am very impressed that you can get DNA30 performance and size in a $35 mod. This thing is a steal for what it is...DNA30 like numbers at an iStick price.

Last edited:

janne303

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2014
Sweden
Reddit:.

"I was charging my Cloupor Mini today via usb plugged into my computer's front us jack. All was fine and dandy, until I noticed the box said "Too hot". A few seconds later, I noticed smoke coming out of the usb port and the battery vent hole on the bottom. I instantly unplugged the device and removed the battery. When I opened the battery cover, the USB charging board was on fire (Just below the Cloupor sticker.) It had melted the plastic and the sticker a little bit too..

The usb jack's output should be WELL within acceptable range of charging voltage for the battery. (And as the mod is only available in 18650, so should it be for the board as well.).

Of course my mod might have been faulty, but I would still not charge the mod via usb right now. Stick to your tabletop chargers. :)"

Skickat från min D6503 via Tapatalk

massbass22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2014
Springfield,MA USA
Reddit:.

"I was charging my Cloupor Mini today via usb plugged into my computer's front us jack. All was fine and dandy, until I noticed the box said "Too hot". A few seconds later, I noticed smoke coming out of the usb port and the battery vent hole on the bottom. I instantly unplugged the device and removed the battery. When I opened the battery cover, the USB charging board was on fire (Just below the Cloupor sticker.) It had melted the plastic and the sticker a little bit too..

The usb jack's output should be WELL within acceptable range of charging voltage for the battery. (And as the mod is only available in 18650, so should it be for the board as well.).

Of course my mod might have been faulty, but I would still not charge the mod via usb right now. Stick to your tabletop chargers. :)"

Skickat från min D6503 via Tapatalk

That's the third time I've heard the usb melting/smoking. I generally charge out of the device anyway but I'll definitely be doing that with my mini...always!!

DrewGrimey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
san jose
Maybe I'm weird, I seem to like the thing that everybody doesn't like and dislike the thing that everybody likes...

I like that .8 second delay, don't have to worry about it firing in my pocket.

Don't like the magnetic battery back. The mod charges the battery so not much of a need to replace the battery so often and a magnetic battery back seems like a problem and not as secure as having screws. I'd expect a good drop to cause everything to fall out.

I'll wait till the smok x50 and ipv mini review are out before I make my purchase though

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
Maybe I'm weird, I seem to like the thing that everybody doesn't like and dislike the thing that everybody likes...

Don't like the magnetic battery back. The mod charges the battery so not much of a need to replace the battery so often and a magnetic battery back seems like a problem and not as secure as having screws. I'd expect a good drop to cause everything to fall out.

I'll wait till the smok x50 and ipv mini review are out before I make my purchase though

The delay doesn't prevent it from firing. All it needs is a quick button flick and the board is active and fires immediately. If I've let it sit more than 2 minutes so the screen goes inactive, all I do is give it a quick half second push as I'm picking it up and by the time it reaches my mouth it's ready to fire. Once you get used to that little "procedure" it is instantaneous.

heateris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2012
SEPA
mine still has the same flushing ny scan and thats it, supposed to be delivered tomorrow. guess we'll see!

Mine also has stalled tracking from VaperCompany in Cali. Last update -

January 13, 2015 , 1:36 pm
Arrived at USPS Origin Facility
CITY OF INDUSTRY, CA 91715

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quitter

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Cleveland, OH

As they say, one man's trash is another's treasure. I found the magnetic door to be one of the most desireable features of the unit over other competitors. I always charge batts out of the unit and change out probably twice a day. Love not having to screw around with screws.

I've already dropped mine twice (argh) and all that happened was the door popped off. Battery stays firmly in place. The unit has a pretty robust build integrity, so I have no fears there.

There's a lot of mini type mods out there, and more coming every day. I have to say this unit fit 95% of the features that I was looking for in a mini. I'm sure it's not for every one and that's the great thing about the choices that are out there.

Had mine for around a week now. Out of the box I was highly excited about this MOD, the size really is just perfect. Didn't come with a battery but for £45 delivered i wasn't too bothered as I've got quite a few lying around!

First thing i wanted to try on it was by Atlantis. Upon firing the MOD I found there to be a slight delay, this happens if the screen goes off and takes a second to fire. I found it a little annoying but it's just something to look out for. Now onto my main concern, power. I also own a Vapor Shark RDNA30 which has been my work horse of a vape for around 6 months, haven't had a single problem with it and it hits at 30W. I noticed a significant difference between the Mini and the DNA in regards to power. The Mini just isn't hitting at 30W. I've testing it side by side with a RDNA 30 and a Sigelei at 30W. As many of you know there had been similar problems with the T5 & T8...

If these problems weren't present, I would've been over the moon with this device. The look and feel of it is awesome and the magnetic back cover is quite addictive to click on and off...haha

I hope these problems aren't with all the devices and maybe mine is just one of the bad ones!

KurrptSenate

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
PA

yea, I guess it depends how often you run the specific unit at max wattage and how much you chain vape. When I had my Hanas, I was running at the max 30W and the battery would die in 3 hours. Being out and about I'd never have a screw driver with me and changing out batteries was the norm since I would vape so much especially on a Saturday.

if you're rocking a kayfun or something at 17w or so, that single 18650 battery will quite a long time so charging through the micro USB is a viable option

didn't know you posted here DrewGrimey. Haven't seen you on the Mahvel streams for a while

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
Had mine for around a week now. Out of the box I was highly excited about this MOD, the size really is just perfect. Didn't come with a battery but for £45 delivered i wasn't too bothered as I've got quite a few lying around!

First thing i wanted to try on it was by Atlantis. Upon firing the MOD I found there to be a slight delay, this happens if the screen goes off and takes a second to fire. I found it a little annoying but it's just something to look out for. Now onto my main concern, power. I also own a Vapor Shark RDNA30 which has been my work horse of a vape for around 6 months, haven't had a single problem with it and it hits at 30W. I noticed a significant difference between the Mini and the DNA in regards to power. The Mini just isn't hitting at 30W. I've testing it side by side with a RDNA 30 and a Sigelei at 30W. As many of you know there had been similar problems with the T5 & T8...

If these problems weren't present, I would've been over the moon with this device. The look and feel of it is awesome and the magnetic back cover is quite addictive to click on and off...haha

I hope these problems aren't with all the devices and maybe mine is just one of the bad ones!

The difference at 30 watts is attributable to the fact that the Mini can only fire up to 7 volts. The DNA30 fires up to 8.3 volts. The Mini fires a bit anemic at 30 watts and above a 1.6/1.8 ohm coil the difference with the DNA30 at 30 watts is likely to be very noticeable. At its price point however, the anemic 30 watt numbers aren't going to be a huge issue for most people. I rarely vape about 15-20 watts myself so this little guy is pretty darn great.

mitro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
IL
The difference at 30 watts is attributable to the fact that the Mini can only fire up to 7 volts. The DNA30 fires up to 8.3 volts. The Mini fires a bit anemic at 30 watts and above a 1.6/1.8 ohm coil the difference with the DNA30 at 30 watts is likely to be very noticeable. At its price point however, the anemic 30 watt numbers aren't going to be a huge issue for most people. I rarely vape about 15-20 watts myself so this little guy is pretty darn great.
With a 0.5-0.6 ohm Atlantis, it's not the voltage limit. 30 watts only requires 4.2-4.3v. Busardo's graphs show the Mini hitting a little on the light side and I've noticed it on mine as well when comparing it to DNAs. My Cloupor Hana was the same.

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
With a 0.5-0.6 ohm Atlantis, it's not the voltage limit. 30 watts only requires 4.2-4.3v. Busardo's graphs show the Mini hitting a little on the light side and I've noticed it on mine as well when comparing it to DNAs. My Cloupor Hana was the same.

Interesting. In reviewing Phil's numbers for the DNA30 and the Mini, at 30 watts the Mini hits 0.6 ohm at 4.0v and the DNA30 hits 0.5 ohm at 4.0v. By these numbers there shouldn't be a huge difference.

gmoney$

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2013
California
I'm very interested in drilling down into this battery charging issue a bit:

- Is the melting usb charging board case several cases or just one being recirculated? I heard and saw one that seemed to come from facebook, I saw it reposted on reddit, and this mention here on this thread was a reddit reprint? I personally wouldn't charge a device on my computer so ... either that's a reason for it or else I'm looking for a reason to dismiss it. Thoughts?
- generally speaking with usb charging: a few folks have indicated they think it's just a bad practice to use the usb charging at all. Is this about weakening the board and foul-ups having to do with how solid the usb port is manufactured, or do some folks think there's something inherently wrong with usb charging with removable 18650? Coming from a VS DNA30, the notion of usb charging being wrong is silly since there's no option. Is there a difference between lipo and lion in this regard?
thanks for any hard info on this....

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I'm very interested in drilling down into this battery charging issue a bit:

- Is the melting usb charging board case several cases or just one being recirculated? I heard and saw one that seemed to come from facebook, I saw it reposted on reddit, and this mention here on this thread was a reddit reprint? I personally wouldn't charge a device on my computer so ... either that's a reason for it or else I'm looking for a reason to dismiss it. Thoughts?
- generally speaking with usb charging: a few folks have indicated they think it's just a bad practice to use the usb charging at all. Is this about weakening the board and foul-ups having to do with how solid the usb port is manufactured, or do some folks think there's something inherently wrong with usb charging with removable 18650? Coming from a VS DNA30, the notion of usb charging being wrong is silly since there's no option. Is there a difference between lipo and lion in this regard?
thanks for any hard info on this....

First thing you need to do is Take the Computer theory out of the equation. PC can easily charge anything a Wall Wart can handle.
The issue had to be a faulty board. Defective part/solder overlap/Short of some kind.

Having used PC usb ports for powering devices and charging equipment for several years as well as having built PC's for many years both for production work and for intense gaming, I can tell you they most certianly can handle providing power to a properly designed USB device.
The whole reason for designing USB devices is PC USE
Wall Warts are for times the PC is not available.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Different Subject -

ANYONE order from 3FVAPE and Received their unit?
I am showing 7 days since mine left Processing and nothing has updated. No way of telling if it ever caught a flight or if it is sitting in US customs. Tracking has been a total bust.
Not blaming 3FVAPE. they shipped fast and the tracking # is legit, but man the in between can get so screwed up.:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread