Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicfits

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Texas
www.e-smokers-forum.com
During my wife's recent visit to her doctor she brought up the e-cig and informed him that she was using it to try and quit smoking. She told him that she was having better luck with this than she did with other NRTs he has had her on. She has tried gum, patches and Chantix and she still smoked. I think she could never get over the hand to mouth aspect of smoking. She informed her Doctor that she was using low level nicotine and has cut back on regular cigs from 15 a day to just two or three. Her Doctor said he had heard of them in reports and was all for it. She was carrying her penstyle and Mini at the time and showed him both. She even gave him a demo with his permission. She was vaping chocolate at the time and she said the doctor was amazed at the arroma of chocolate. He laughed and said his wife was a chocaholic. She told him that I had quit cold turkey and was using zero nicotine. He gave her lots of encouragement and said that it has to better than smoking real tobacco.
My wife plans to be completely analog free within a week and then start weaning off the nicotine with zero nicotine juice.

I too worry about bringing too much attention in the press about E-cigs.
IMHO I feel that anything that has to do with smoking or even resembles smoking will get a negative reaction from the majority of the non smoking public. We need to take baby steps here. If we try to walk before we crawl, we will just end up falling on our face. Good things will come to those who wait.

Exylis

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2009
Null
I am just worried that the more popluar it becomes the bigger a lawsuit risk.

I am kept up at night by the thought of some small child eating a cart on accident...

Ugh. The Antis would have a party with that one nationwide! Everyone who has kids, please lock your ecig apparel in a safe!

Man that would be the worst....I really do plan on using the ecig to try quitting in the long run. For now, it's just to save my wallet.

Effex

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
NYC
There really is 0.. Zero argument that can be made against e-cigs if they are proven to be safer than analog smoking (and I am certain that they are).

An argument on - "What about the children?!" is a losing one. You don't keep your kitchen knives in your daughters play kitchen. You don't keep a loaded gun under your sons bed. You don't keep your nicotine gum or cigarettes in your child's cookie jar. Same thing applies here.

B&BsMom

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
First I want to say Hi since I’m a noob.
The kids argument holds no water. As a smoker and a parent I have always kept my regular cigs out of the hands of my kids. I just ordered my first ecig Tuesday but have already bought a locking case for juices and such. I don’t see it any different than I see the myriad of other chemicals I have in the house as we speak. I don’t let the kids drink the chlorine for the pool, the Windex, the 409 or Pinesol. This is a ridiculous argument in my opinion. Has anyone seen the pool chlorine at Wal-Mart, you know on the aisle with the pool toys! It seems to me they are looking for any excuse regardless of how flimsy. What’s next a prescription on the Vicks vaporizer or humidifiers? I can just see it now a trip to the doctor’s office so I can get the prescription for a vaporizer because my kid has a cold or better yet the laugh my doctor would get when I ask for a prescription for a humidifier because I’m so tired of shocking myself in the winter when the air in my house is too dry. If they were just talking about a ban on the juice it wouldn’t be as laughable but to ban the device that works on the same principle as not only a vaporizer but as a fog machine seems rather overboard. If the FDA has this kind of time and manpower available maybe they could go help out the USDA make sure our peanut butter and beef are safe. I’m honestly a little more concerned about the pb&j sandwich I made my daughters this morning then I am of them ever ingesting the liquid nicotine. I know I can control how I store that I have no control of what the manufacturer did to the peanut butter before it arrived at the store!
I agree with Ramblin 110% on the tax thing. When they say "what about the children" don't you think they really mean "oh no who is going to pay for all that expanded kids Medicaid if all these smokers move to ecigs?" I mean honestly old Joe Six Pack is not going to stand idly by as you slap a 10 dollar tax on his case of Pabst.

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
What’s next a prescription on the Vicks vaporizer or humidifiers? .

You talkin' about me? :D

Seriously, though, my approach has been to comply with the smoking ban. To the casual viewer, It looks like a cigarette, it smokes like a cigarette ergo it must have the same smoke risks as a real cigarette...

If we flaunt the loophole that says these are a way to circumnavigate the smoking ban, the loophole will be closed... There is time enough for such aggressive education later. If someone asks me about my PV, I give the tutorial, but I'm not "in your face" about it.

calligal

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
California
I don't care for the term "lay low" and I don't want us to bury our head in the sand either. But, I agree that at this time we would benefit from being discreet when vaping in public. Unless permission is easily and freely given then suffer along with all the smokers and vap with them in designated areas. (I know..it ticks me off too) There will be times where we can't resist vaping in unauthorized areas. Just be very very discreet. Other posters have tipped us off on how to hold in the inhaled vapor for several seconds which dissipates it to nothing,though sometimes a bit may still come out which is where covering mouth with the napkin/hankerchief/jackets/shirts comes in handy. Cover the tip to hid the glow. We know fairly harmless vapor appears like smoke to those not in the know and if they don't ask then a negative first impression may be formed. It can be hard to change an initial opinion.

Everyone is not going to be discreet. Open defiance is not the answer at this time but it is still going to occur. This makes it important for us to vap responsibly in public and when possible to educate others.

Do you think it would help if we pointed naysayers to the real culprit which is the cigarette makers who provided us with the addiction? Stress differences of vaping vs smoking and the benefits to them if we vap instead of smoke.
Would it help to convert more smokers to vaping?
Is there another forum where the sellers are discussing best ways to package, label, and advertise the product? I admit I think the nicotine is the biggest obstacle. If sold without the nicotine then could they have the right to ban them?
Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
1) Do you think it would help if we pointed naysayers to the real culprit which is the cigarette makers who provided us with the addiction? Stress differences of vaping vs smoking and the benefits to them if we vap instead of smoke.
2)Would it help to convert more smokers to vaping?

3)Is there another forum where the sellers are discussing best ways to package, label, and advertise the product? I admit I think the nicotine is the biggest obstacle. If sold without the nicotine then could they have the right to ban them?
Anyway, those are my thoughts.

My thoughts in order of your questions (which I've asked myself numerous times, too :)

1) I dislike anytime someone points the finger and says "Not my fault!!! I'm the victim!!! Stone him!!! He did it!!!" That's the brainwashing coming from the Nanny state where they have to protect us from ourselves...

2) I think we should actively show off/use our PV's around as many smokers as we can. Staying inside the "boundries" of where one can smoke will give us maximum exposure to the max number of smokers who will - most certainly - ask "What Yoo Smokin???" Just make sure you give the bad with the good - not tested, FDA investigation, etc....

3) The sellers are starting to get together, I've seen it somewhere on the forum.... Lacey Underall knows more about that.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
My thoughts in order of your questions (which I've asked myself numerous times, too :)

1) I dislike anytime someone points the finger and says "Not my fault!!! I'm the victim!!! Stone him!!! He did it!!!" That's the brainwashing coming from the Nanny state where they have to protect us from ourselves...

2) I think we should actively show off/use our PV's around as many smokers as we can. Staying inside the "boundries" of where one can smoke will give us maximum exposure to the max number of smokers who will - most certainly - ask "What Yoo Smokin???" Just make sure you give the bad with the good - not tested, FDA investigation, etc....

3) The sellers are starting to get together, I've seen it somewhere on the forum.... Lacey Underall knows more about that.

Very good responses there Vicks.

And yes... the suppliers have banned together and have formed the AECSM - Association of Electronic Cigarette Suppliers and Manufacturers. Every Sunday and Wednesday night we partake in conference calls via skype and we will have our first gathering in Chicago, April 11-12. Here, we will formally put the Association together and determine best practices etc.

We don't have any answers for anyone just yet... EXCEPT we are all working together to make the industry safe, reliable and here to stay! We are also definitely planning on a campaign to educate the public regarding the electronic cigarette.

Currently there are about 15 hardcore participants and we are expecting approximately 25 suppliers in attendance at the conference. This is our very first step and we are all pretty damn excited!

Stay Tuned! Our website is getting up and rolling and as soon as it is public ready we will let everyone here know!

calligal

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
California

3) The sellers are starting to get together, I've seen it somewhere on the forum.... Lacey Underall knows more about that.[/quote]

calligal

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
California
I accidently hit something which submitted before I had a chance to actually type something in.

I had a completely cute and witty reply which I lost because this site told me I had to refresh page and log back in. That always happens to me. I assume I take to long to put together all my rambling thoughts.

In short I replied I was casting stones but would try to be discreet while doing so. Vented two lines about the government interferring with the little businesses and wished Lacey well while offering moral support.

Oh! I did ask how one goes about getting cards from suppliers like you Lacey. People I have seen on the active on the board. I will be attending a couple of events this weeked where I will be using my PV where I know some smokers will be. I know at least one person is going to want more info.

:p

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
I accidently hit something which submitted before I had a chance to actually type something in.

I had a completely cute and witty reply which I lost because this site told me I had to refresh page and log back in. That always happens to me. I assume I take to long to put together all my rambling thoughts.

In short I replied I was casting stones but would try to be discreet while doing so. Vented two lines about the government interferring with the little businesses and wished Lacey well while offering moral support.

Oh! I did ask how one goes about getting cards from suppliers like you Lacey. People I have seen on the active on the board. I will be attending a couple of events this weeked where I will be using my PV where I know some smokers will be. I know at least one person is going to want more info.

:p

Had that happen... it's a bummer... I have learned to copy before hitting submit... LOL.

We don't have any cards available as we try to stay as eco-friendly and paperless as possible... but if you are interested in sending people places, I always suggest when I am on the Internet or out somewhere, my blog http://www.e-cig.org AND this very forum. I am all for people picking the style, pricing and company that best suits them. I may not be it for some, and I am totally fine with that... but I do encourage people to swing by and at least read what I have to say so they can make informed decisions.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
That's great Lacey! Podcasts/vids would be great too, as well as a downloadable pdf that could go viral easily - what us professional copywriters/marketing ppl call 'white papers' or 'special reports' or guides', etc etc. Like an Info Kit ppl could email around &/or print out. Grassroots outreach :)

the association is looking for someone like you ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread