Coffee and bourbon

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I'm new to DIY juices. Mostly just learning before I jump in, but I did have an idea: making my own extract by soaking coffee in bourbon and making and extract. I don't intend on this being a main flavor... more like something to make a custard more interesting (and thin out High VG) Anyone tried this... any suggestions?

Reactions: stols001

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
07f.jpg

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Could be a while before you get an answer. For most of us, DIY means mixing premade concentrated flavors, and homemade is discouraged or feared. We're particularly leery of oil-based compounds that are not water-soluble.
It's not "oil based" It's alcohol based (only oil would be naturally in the coffee) I already know that high VG juices and be "thinned" with water or even vodka (grain alcohol and water) if not overdone. All I want is some coffee flavor as well (and bourbon flavor)
Imagine I was cooking and wanted to use actual vanilla bean and everyone freaks out because I'm not using a product that comes in a little bottle. Anyone actually have a useful answer? I do appreciate your honesty, BTW.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I have added bourbon to liquid. It is discouraged due to the heavy minerals that may be present, but I believe it to still be safer than smoking. The alcohol and bourbon are distinguishable and add a note to my vanilla cream base. TFA Kentucky bourbon is a tough one to get just right, but some have nailed it.

Some people have done tea/tobacco/coffee extracts for years. It's not totally taboo. I dunno how effective using bourbon to extract the coffee will be, or if the cross-contamination will affect either. I'd say go for it. Use a coffee filter to filter the flavor at least thrice. It may still gunk coils, but you're pioneering an idea. Let us know how it works!

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Last edited:

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I don't think bourbon has sugars... what makes you say that? BTW, After the extract is done I'm going to warm it and allow most of the alcohol to evaporate (mostly to concentrate the liquid) I will filter it through several layers of coffee filters. I am going to try this before doing DIY juices and simply add some to my Vapetasia Killer Kustard as a test. I have an Evod that I never really liked much, but it's really easy to re-wick so this will be my "test device" for super small batches of DIY juices (measured in drops instead of ml. (I'm on a very low budget) Eventually I'm getting a rebuildable drip setup for this.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I thought that might be what you were thinking. I used to be really into medicinal herbs... mostly teas and capsules, but also made tinctures with alcohol so this is not a new idea to me. Basically, it's also what old school vanilla extract is. Someone mentioned oils... maybe confusing making extract from a certain "herb" (yes, I have done that too) I could do coffee without using alcohol, but I wanted the bourbon flavor too.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I tried a smidge of cheap burgundy wine in my vape once. I knew it was a bad idea. A lot of it caramelized on my coil almost instantly. It kind of vaped okay but I did not keep vaping it because holy goodness did my vape ever smell of the most pungent curry. Probably for the best as the husband politely requested I discontinue it. It didn't TASTE bad, but oh my the Curry....

That ended my like, interested in vaping the AlcOhoLS. I mean, vodka's fine except it gets dreadfully boring. Everything tasted like "whatever flavor" plus vodka.

I'm just really pleased with flavorings designed for vaping. I stick to them and all is well.

Anna

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Yeah the sugars in bourbon will kill a coil quick, but if ya have a winner, how hard is it to swap a wick and coil??
    Actually, you might have been right. Looking at kentucky bourbon flavor descriptions and they mention brown sugar, caramel, ect. Seems there is some residual sugars so going to use whiskey instead (crown royal... "mini bar" botlle $2.99) Coffee is some I already have (hawaiian blend, fresh ground beans) Going to let it soak for days (and shake often) so will be awhile before I can try it.

Reactions: stols001

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Actually, the corner store didn't have much selection so good ol Jack Daniels it is. Ground the coffee really fine... it's soaking in JD in my pocket as we speak (shaking often) Already looking really dark, this should be ready soon. Of course, when I filter it out, I will suck every last drop from the filter(s) and see how it tastes.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    OK, I was warned. Several coffee filters was not effective... still lots of small particles. Won't even chance ruining a coil with this (oh well, it will add some extra flavor to my morning coffee) To those that might say "I told you so" I will save you all the typing, so just say "ITYS" Go for it... I deserve this one.
    I make homebrew beer and wine makers have a special filter with a pump that gets everything out. The only way to do this right would be large batch and one of these filters.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread