Coffee flavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveD3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
So, it’s been a while since I last posted to this thread, but I did promise to update. Keeping with that, and to help anyone who may be searching the forums for tips, here is where I am so far. The post below comes from my notes, which I translated in to instructions as best as I could.

Over the last month or so, I’ve learned that coffee is by far the hardest thing to get from scratch, but as others on the forum have said, it’s all trial and error. Hopefully my mini successful trial here, will help someone who is where I was two months ago.

–Steve

Sweet Coffee Extract

Note:

The most recent batch I’ve made is the first that hits a positive for both vaping and taste. It smells like coffee, tastes like a coffee w/ sweetener, and all the flavor notes are there. However, they are subtle, I can taste them, and they switch up, so it is an interesting experiment. It’s just not at the strength I’m expecting, so I won’t call this a complete success just yet.

Hardware:
Stock eGo-C kit, Vision tank (2.1 Ohm)

Tools (or what you’ll need to replicate what I’ve done):

30ml glass bottle (Wizard Labs) (Order Page: 30ml Amber Glass Bottle w/ Polycone Cap )

Millstone Coffee (1.75 oz) – I used Carmel Truffle (Order Page: Amazon.com: Millstone: Grocery & Gourmet Food )

Measuring Kit and Storage:

This will include the 1ml and 10ml syringes, a deep bowel or other type of container to hold hot water, a measuring cup (or container for draining the extract), a 15ml bottle and a 10ml bottle.

Flavors:

The Flavor Apprentice: Double Chocolate Dark, Vanilla Ice Cream, Carmel Candy, Cotton Candy

Juice: 18mg Nicotine (70% VG / 30% PG) from Wizard Labs (This was pre-mixed)

USP Grade PG (Also from Wizard Labs)

Process (or what I did that may work for you):

15ml of coffee is funneled into the glass bottle. Top this with PG, nuke it for 10 seconds. From there, take it out, top it off with PG and cap the bottle. Shake it for 45 seconds.

I used a large coffee cup, but any container that is able to hold hot tap water will work. Place the bottle in the bottom of the container, and when the tap water is hot (really, really hot) place the container over it and fill it – completely covering the bottle.

Let the water continue to run for 2 minutes, filling and overflowing the container as it rests in the sink (make sure the sink is clean, just to be safe). Turn off and let the bottle soak for an additional 10 minutes. After this, repeat the steady flow of hot water into the container for another three minutes. Remove the bottle and shake it.

When it comes to extraction, I used a handmade cloth tea bag. I purchased it online, but any extraction method should work. The point is to separate the juice from the coffee grounds.

For this I poured the bottle into the tea bag as it rested over a Pyrex measuring cup. I pressed and squeezed the bag for all it was worth, it took about three minutes. In the end, I had about 15ml of coffee extract that looked and smelled like a freshly brewed cup of Millstone Carmel Truffle. I added the extract to the 15ml bottle and let it sit for 5 minutes uncapped.

When it comes to the mix, I started with a new 10ml bottle. I added .3 ml (3%) of the coffee extract, followed by:

2 Drops of Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
2 Drops of Double Chocolate Dark
.1 ml of Carmel Candy
20 Drops (from a 3ml bottle) of Cotton Candy
9ml of Juice

Shake the mix and blend it.
Leave it to sit overnight.

What I have now, tastes great as I said, but it isn’t strong enough for me personally. So I will start with this recipe as a base and move up from here. Otherwise, it’s a stable mix.

Last edited:

SteveD3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
I am so ready to try this!

Welcome to the club, coffee is a challenge to be sure.

Start @ 3% for the coffee extract. Within the last week, I've also replaced the Chocolate with another flavor that works better. Oddly, it was something I didn't think would work at all. Coca.

I replaced the chocolate w/ 2 drops (from the bottle it came in) of FA Cocoa, and replaced the VBIC with 4 drops of TFA Sweet Cream.

I've also come to realize that different coffee companies will produce widely different extracts. So for example, the extract I mentioned earlier - the ratios were off when it came to mixing w/ Starbucks coffee. They're stronger when extracted, so it required far less. I'm sticking w/ Millstone for now.

If you get stuck, just give a shout.

Last edited:

SteveD3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Thanks SteveD3, I made some last night, seems like now its lost its smell. Any ideas?

Is it the extract or the final mix that is without the smell? If it is the final mix, that could be a sign of too much flavoring, try reducing it. If the extract has lost its scent, which has happened to me, it should be ok, try to make a small batch and test. Otherwise, if the extract has lost both flavor and scent, then it may have gone bunk on you. Are you extracting in pure PG or a mix?

CoonHound693

Aug 31, 2012
Pa
Totallywicked has a great Colombian coffe concentrate. It's is one of their gold standard concentrates. I make a 50/50 pg vg mix. It is a light colored juice that taste just like a cup of Colombian cofffee, from Barista prima coffee. I've been using it on a tank atty for over 1 month so far and never had an issue. I sometimes add some of their coconut with it also. He would not be disappointed.

ToweKnee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2011
Chicago
Did my first coffee extraction to try this method out using some Folgers as well. I also did a ACID blondie cigar the same way to see what the results would be. Just got done giving them a hot bath for 20 mins each in 180F water. Then put a coffee filter around some small mason jars and held them with the out ring cap. Letting them sit for couple of hours right now.

IMAG0464.jpg IMAG0465.jpg IMAG0466.jpg

twistedtimes

ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2012
Santa Fe
I have a question on this extraction. Wouldn't the nicotine in the VG solution dissolve itself in the heat? I would think by extracting it in vodka would be easier than this, then all you have to do is use the vodka as the flavoring.

Like this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Chocolate-Extract/?ALLSTEPS

Last edited:

SteveD3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Did my first coffee extraction to try this method out using some Folgers as well. I also did a ACID blondie cigar the same way to see what the results would be. Just got done giving them a hot bath for 20 mins each in 180F water. Then put a coffee filter around some small mason jars and held them with the out ring cap. Letting them sit for couple of hours right now.

View attachment 148113 View attachment 148114 View attachment 148115

Awesome. Looking forward to hearing how it turned out.

SteveD3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
I have a question on this extraction. Wouldn't the nicotine in the VG solution dissolve itself in the heat? I would think by extracting it in vodka would be easier than this, then all you have to do is use the vodka as the flavoring.

Like this: Chocolate Extract

I use PG for the extract, then mix it with the nic juice. However, I've done some fruits with vodka. It works well. Not tried coffee like this though. As for the heat, the few times I've done it with the nic juice, I've not noticed anything different about the hit. (I've also not had the jitters for lack of nicotine either - which I get when I lower my levels.)

YMMV

ToweKnee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2011
Chicago
Last edited:

wizard10000

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
midwestern us

I've extracted coffee into VG many times. It's been my experience that neither VG nor nicotine break down at the temperatures of which we're speaking (around 190°F). I used to put VG in the microwave for a few seconds but quit doing that as microwaves don't heat evenly and the idea of hotspots where the VG *did* break down into more toxic components worried me - and I wouldn't heat VG to boiling directly on the stove either as its boiling point is considerably higher than water.

ToweKnee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2011
Chicago
Mixed up some small 15 ml bottles of each. Surprisingly the Cigar extract is very light compared to the coffee. I mixed Coffee at 5% and the Acid Cigar at 2%.

Vaped both of them to see how it tastes freshly mixed. I do this so I can tell what has changed from steeping. Going to let these steep for a couple of days. I think I will need to add more flavoring for the coffee but I think the acid is fine at 2%.

IMAG0468.jpg

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
USA
I learned this from a friend: Fill 1/2 of a 30 ml bottle of ground coffee. I used Cuban coffee because it's really strong.. Then top it off with PG and microwave for 10 seconds. (no longer). The Pg will absorb the coffee. Then top off again with pg, then place bottle in a hot water bath for 20 minutes. Strain mixture with a coffee filter. I used a funnel, and cut the filter to fit.

I used 3% coffee, 1% Bavarian Cream and 1% Caramel and It was the best Coffee liquid I ever had.

I gotta try this! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread