Coil builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Poss

Jun 16, 2018
Anniston,Alabama
Hi all I’m jonathan. I’ve been vaping on and off since the first Blue Ecig was sold and have recently stepped into the big leagues of vaping with my IPV XANIDE mod and the newest Fireluke Freemax tank from a Movkin Disguiser mod with basically every tank SMOK makes from baby beast to The Cloud Beast lol. I now am at a crossroad where I’m wanting to start making my own coils to keep finding better flavor lol. I recently bought all the needed tools and some beautiful Japanese organic cotton and I took a chance on some 24A1/32A1 Kanthal Clapton wire. I hear the wrapped wire alone has amazing flavor but my million dollar question is can you wrap pretwisted coil wire with itself? I just want feedback so I won’t waste perfectly good wire if y’all understand what I’m sayin lol. Any feedback is welcomed❣️❣️❣️

Reactions: stols001

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
You can, but you probaby wouldn't be happy with the result. The Clapton wire you have is already a hefty amount of metal that takes a lot of energy to heat to a decent vaping temperature. Twist it with itself and you're almost doubling the mass and halving the resistance. Thanks to the laws of physics, it will take more than double the power just to get the resulting coil to warm up and say, "hello, world."

Jonathan Poss

Jun 16, 2018
Anniston,Alabama
You can, but you probaby wouldn't be happy with the result. The Clapton wire you have is already a hefty amount of metal that takes a lot of energy to heat to a decent vaping temperature. Twist it with itself and you're almost doubling the mass and halving the resistance. Thanks to the laws of physics, it will take more than double the power just to get the resulting coil to warm up and say, "hello, world."
Thank you very very much Cowboy!!!! Just making the normal coils with that wire, any idea what kind of ohms 2 coils will b at? For that matter how many wraps should I do ? I’m sorry I’m asking stupid questions my friend I’m just afraid I’m going to do something wrong and blow something up lol

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Wire wizard | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

I could tell you, but you'll probably have more fun using this site yourself. Just put in your wire parameters and coil dimensions and it tells you what kind of build you'll end with. Remember that with a dual coil your total build resistance is half that of a single coil.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
  • www.steam-engine.org is your best friend
  • Claptons, thinner the wrapping wire the better, I wouldn't recommend any wrapping wire fatter than 36g (personally I use 38g - 44g) for 32g and fatter takes a lot more energy to heat up and cool down
  • No I wouldn't twist it with any other wire, wrapping it in parallel with another bare wire for a "staged" Clapton would be much better.
  • I recommend grabbing a good variable speed drill, quality ball bearing fishing spinners and spinning your own Claptons, it's actually pretty easy.
  • Making your own wire use quality Sandvik wire and not the cheap crap, yes it make a very noticeable difference. The Sandvik wire I use are Kidney Puncher, Atomizer Wick and Temco.

Jonathan Poss

Jun 16, 2018
Anniston,Alabama

I could tell you, but you'll probably have more fun using this site yourself. Just put in your wire parameters and coil dimensions and it tells you what kind of build you'll end with. Remember that with a dual coil your total build resistance is half that of a single coil.
I have to say I’m a scared person usually when it comes to asking questions but just n the hour I’ve been a member here EVERY SINGLE person I’ve talked to with YOU included has went above and beyond to make me feel welcome and helped me to learn and I can’t even begin to express my gratitude to u and them. One more stupid question then I’m gonna check out ur site lol. Is this 24A1/32A1 Kanthal Clapton wire gonna b ok flavor wise ? Cause I’m a flavor chaser more than clouds lol

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle

I don't use the wire wizard, too much busy work to really make any difference. If you're using Clapton wire just add something like 0.15 to the di. So for a 3.0mm di I'd plug in 3.15, it works fine for the only difference the wrapping wire makes is to the thickness of the wire.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I have to say I’m a scared person usually when it comes to asking questions but just n the hour I’ve been a member here EVERY SINGLE person I’ve talked to with YOU included has went above and beyond to make me feel welcome and helped me to learn and I can’t even begin to express my gratitude to u and them. One more stupid question then I’m gonna check out ur site lol. Is this 24A1/32A1 Kanthal Clapton wire gonna b ok flavor wise ? Cause I’m a flavor chaser more than clouds lol
Never ever feel scared to ask questions, as the old saying goes the only stupid question is the one not asked.

Asking questions is how we learn

My two bits about 24/32 Clapton, it's alright for that's where I first started. Thinner wrapping wire is much better but 32g wrapping wire is an OK place to start with for you'll see an improvement over bare and twisted wire.

Jonathan Poss

Jun 16, 2018
Anniston,Alabama
I don't use the wire wizard, too much busy work to really make any difference. If you're using Clapton wire just add something like 0.15 to the di. So for a 3.0mm di I'd plug in 3.15, it works fine for the only difference the wrapping wire makes is to the thickness of the wire.
I’ll def give that a try. I had bought a very complex ohms law calculator that told u EVERY way to convert from anything to anything that was possible but it’s actually the silly basic stuff that has me baffled lol. Like for the FIRELUKE FREEMAX RDA how many wraps should I use with the 24A1/32A1 Clapton wire ? I thought bout trying to squeeze 8 wraps on each coil but I didn’t wanna do something if someone else can stop me now and say oh no that won’t work lol. I’m bout to use a brand new coil master jig and I know it’s gonna take me longer than it should anyways so I certainly don’t wanna waste time and wire right off the bat cause I got careless and greedy chasing flavor lol. Oh and is 3 mm the best size cause almost everyone says 3 mm

Jonathan Poss

Jun 16, 2018
Anniston,Alabama
Never ever feel scared to ask questions, as the old saying goes the only stupid question is the one not asked.

Asking questions is how we learn

My two bits about 24/32 Clapton, it's alright for that's where I first started. Thinner wrapping wire is much better but 32g wrapping wire is an OK place to start with for you'll see an improvement over bare and twisted wire.
I am def here to learn my friend. I just ordered this wire cause it said Clapton lol. In your opinion what’s the best wire for a great flavor?

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I’ll def give that a try. I had bought a very complex ohms law calculator that told u EVERY way to convert from anything to anything that was possible but it’s actually the silly basic stuff that has me baffled lol. Like for the FIRELUKE FREEMAX RDA how many wraps should I use with the 24A1/32A1 Clapton wire ? I thought bout trying to squeeze 8 wraps on each coil but I didn’t wanna do something if someone else can stop me now and say oh no that won’t work lol. I’m bout to use a brand new coil master jig and I know it’s gonna take me longer than it should anyways so I certainly don’t wanna waste time and wire right off the bat cause I got careless and greedy chasing flavor lol. Oh and is 3 mm the best size cause almost everyone says 3 mm
Just use the KISS method, steam-engine works great. I stick with the Ohms law and coil calculator 99.99% of the time there and it works fine. I also recommend not trying to squeeze fatty coils in, all it's done for me his heat up the atty, retain way too much heat, trash the wick and cook the juice. It's a balancing act of wire mass to space. Play around with it with multiple builds and you'll find your sweet spot.

I am def here to learn my friend. I just ordered this wire cause it said Clapton lol. In your opinion what’s the best wire for a great flavor?

It's a Journey, try various ones and you'll find what works for you. Various RDA's, RTA's all come with their own sweet spot, experiment for that's half the fun!

For me the best performance and flavor comes from Fused Claptons with 317L SS. My go to is 28x2/38 or 30x2/40 range for all of mine. Hell when I vape on my Tootie Puffers for HighΩ vaping I'll spin up a 32x2/44 for my Kayfun and have even spun up 34x2/44 for my Goblin, all SS. For me SS has a cleaner/crisper flavor, great response time and shorter cool down period.

Now others swear by Alien's but I can't tell a difference between regular fused claptons and alien fused claptons. But when you get into the more exotic coils like Stapled, Framed, etc. there is a difference but it's slight. Bang for the buck along with effort I stick with basic fused, that suits me. They're very simple and fast to make.

Again quality wire makes a significant difference so don't go cheap, stick with authentic quality Sandvik. The cost difference between quality and crapwire is minuscule.

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
it works fine for the only difference the wrapping wire makes is to the thickness of the wire.
Electrically, yes. It does add mass to the build, which affects heat up and cool down. This is rarely an issue for wattage mode or on an unregulated device. But the extra ramp time of exotic wire can give conniption fits to some temperature control mods.

Because a certain wire material of a certain resistance absolutely must change its resistance a certain amount after a certain time under a certain power, or it's no TC soup for you.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Electrically, yes. It does add mass to the build, which affects heat up and cool down. This is rarely an issue for wattage mode or on an unregulated device. But the extra ramp time of exotic wire can give conniption fits to some temperature control mods.

Because a certain wire material of a certain resistance absolutely must change its resistance a certain amount after a certain time under a certain power, or it's no TC soup for you.
Yeah I could see that for thick wrapping wire which I really dislike. The wrapping wire I use is much smaller than a hair (have to wear a headloop). On the rare occasions I use TC (DNA) I haven't had an issue.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
IMO claptons and other wrapped wire build give MORE flavor than plain wire or twisted builds. They do not make flavor better. Imo plain wire builds give best flavor.... watt for watt...

Not a fan of wrapped wire they use too much juice and need too much power to produce.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

tw33k

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2013
Canberra, ACT, Australia
I paid $30 for a pair of pre-wrapped aliens. I wasn't impressed. In fact the flavor was off. I tried different wattages but never got the flavor I got from a simple round wire build.

Lately I've been using SS 316L fused claptons and have been enjoying them very much

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I paid $30 for a pair of pre-wrapped aliens. I wasn't impressed. In fact the flavor was off. I tried different wattages but never got the flavor I got from a simple round wire build.

Lately I've been using SS 316L fused claptons and have been enjoying them very much
Quality of wire makes a difference and agree that basic fused claptons is best especially with SS.

Reactions: Jonathan Poss

Jonathan Poss

Jun 16, 2018
Anniston,Alabama
Just use the KISS method, steam-engine works great. I stick with the Ohms law and coil calculator 99.99% of the time there and it works fine. I also recommend not trying to squeeze fatty coils in, all it's done for me his heat up the atty, retain way too much heat, trash the wick and cook the juice. It's a balancing act of wire mass to space. Play around with it with multiple builds and you'll find your sweet spot.

It's a Journey, try various ones and you'll find what works for you. Various RDA's, RTA's all come with their own sweet spot, experiment for that's half the fun!

For me the best performance and flavor comes from Fused Claptons with 317L SS. My go to is 28x2/38 or 30x2/40 range for all of mine. Hell when I vape on my Tootie Puffers for HighΩ vaping I'll spin up a 32x2/44 for my Kayfun and have even spun up 34x2/44 for my Goblin, all SS. For me SS has a cleaner/crisper flavor, great response time and shorter cool down period.

Now others swear by Alien's but I can't tell a difference between regular fused claptons and alien fused claptons. But when you get into the more exotic coils like Stapled, Framed, etc. there is a difference but it's slight. Bang for the buck along with effort I stick with basic fused, that suits me. They're very simple and fast to make.

Again quality wire makes a significant difference so don't go cheap, stick with authentic quality Sandvik. The cost difference between quality and crapwire is minuscule.
Oh thank you very very much for the wire tips. Hell I was thinking Clapton was just the brand that made the particular wire type and since I loved the original coils that came for the RBA on my Fireluke cause it said Clapton’s coils that’s y I bought this spool.....SMH. No wonder I got 25ft for $2.50 lol. I’m definitely making notes for later research and purchase on the wires you just mentioned

• Useful
Reactions: Izan

Jonathan Poss

Jun 16, 2018
Anniston,Alabama
IMO claptons and other wrapped wire build give MORE flavor than plain wire or twisted builds. They do not make flavor better. Imo plain wire builds give best flavor.... watt for watt...

Not a fan of wrapped wire they use too much juice and need too much power to produce.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
I bought this 25ft 24A1/32A1 wire for $2.50 and was thinking what a killer deal I got cause it said Kanthal Clapton coil wire lol. I wouldn’t even care if I could blow out a 6” long smoke cloud as long as it turns my “ pretty good milk and honey “ flavor into a “ OH HELL YEA NOW THATS MILK AND HONEY!!” If that makes any sense lol

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I bought this 25ft 24A1/32A1 wire for $2.50 and was thinking what a killer deal I got cause it said Kanthal Clapton coil wire lol. I wouldn’t even care if I could blow out a 6” long smoke cloud as long as it turns my “ pretty good milk and honey “ flavor into a “ OH HELL YEA NOW THATS MILK AND HONEY!!” If that makes any sense lol
Claptons will change the flavor, they bring out more details in the flavorings used. Good fused Claptons really brings them out. Which on rare occasions isn't good, only on rare occasions.

Jonathan Poss

Jun 16, 2018
Anniston,Alabama
Claptons will change the flavor, they bring out more details in the flavorings used. Good fused Claptons really brings them out. Which on rare occasions isn't good, only on rare occasions.

So even the Clapton coil wire I got as long as I make the coils right will still b good for flavor. From what I’ve noticed as far as Clapton vs Alien to me which juice I used with them was what made a difference. My BANANA CREAM PIE kinda sucked with the Alien coils but opposite on Clapton coils, however my French Toast juice was heavenly on Aliens and not so hot on Clapton. I bounce between those 2 flavors and occasionally my favorite but too expensive milk and honey by cosmic fog so that’s y I’m a bit torn with the coils. I have a herkules with an RBA and a Baby Prince with an RBA and Fireluke of course with RBA and last important but not least a Smok Prince with RBA. I know I wanna use the Fireluke RBA but not sure what to use on other flavors cause with RBAs I’m literally not n Kansas no more lol

Reactions: Anise
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread