Status
Not open for further replies.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Don't really care if it's new technology or old technology re-purposed for vaping tbh. If it performs well and consistently, and lasts for a long time, ,and priced reasonably, i will take the plunge. I'm getting a little tired of building coils and dry-burning etc ...

Will wait for reviews and feedback from early adapters though.

know the feeling. I build 5-6 tanks and damned if I don't have to do it all over 6 months later............:lol:
I do re-wick every 4-10 weeks depending on the e-liquid :D and to think, I only Vape 15-20ml day:w00t::w00t::w00t:

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Has anybody actually tried this product yet?
Oh, no, we'd rather speculate, ridicule, and criticize. It's so much easier that way.

I can't defend or attack this product. I will admit that I'm a skeptic, but you never know.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    We've been playin' with ceramic coils for a long time. ;)

hqdefault.jpg

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I remember when the 1st Clearos came out. And they Cracked using certain Flavorings. People said that Clearos would never be Popular.

And I remember when people tried Cotton as a Wick Material. And the Screaming that the Wick was going to Burn. And that Atomizers were going to Catch Fire.

And I remember when the 1st Gen TC Mods hit the market. The reviews were Not so good. Many said that TC was a Scam or a Fad. And that it would Never go Mainstream.

I think the type of Heating Element in the Altus will go the Same way. 1st Generation attempts with So-So results. Future iterations that incorporate Improvements from subsequent ones.

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 19, 2013
    New York
    They claim a one year warranty on their "CVU", I highly doubt it will be that durable but let's play along... What happens in a year when you go to use that warranty and the company no longer exists or is allowed to operate due to pending regulation?

Do you just go to the nearest Best Buy and buy a new CVU? That's the only real reason I'm against propritary anything, good ol' wire and cotton will be around forever.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2014
    Nashville
    I think it looks interesting and I am looking forward to seeing/hearing more about it. There are a lot of people who do not want to or honestly can not build their own coils, this might be a great alternative someday for that segment of the vaping population.

Agreed, there has to be progress (a start) to an alternative, I see more and more smokers getting frustrated with all the new (high performance) crap and I admit it's great for me, but for someone that just wants to pull out a device and hit a button to get them off cigs and not build coils or keep buying pre made's when pre made's of 2007 don't exist.
    I have a couple on the way just to put it through it's paces, so we will see ............

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Shame we couldn't be doing these right here in the USA. Me personally, I don't buy a thing I can't rebuild myself (or reasonably supported for parts/consumables going forward) . Especially in our regulatory environment. Kudos to Kanger for being the first major to listen to folks right here on ECF for their ideas and supporting the concept of open devices. Too bad the suitable conditions for explosive innovation and capital formation have been stifled by our own government.

Good luck all. :)

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 19, 2013
    New York
    Didn't those things blow up when given too much power?
    Don't know about blowing up but they practically disintegrated when you applied to much power. Ceramic isn't exactly a very durable material.

The thing that gets me is all these coils will be sold as replaceable not rebuildable. If laws pass your shiny new ceramic tanks will be useless unless you can find a ceramic shop that will custom build your coils.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 25, 2013
    NY
    know the feeling. I build 5-6 tanks and damned if I don't have to do it all over 6 months later............:lol:
    I do re-wick every 4-10 weeks depending on the e-liquid :D and to think, I only Vape 15-20ml day:w00t::w00t::w00t:
    Sweet ! Perhaps you have more free time devoted to vaping than i do. A little vacation time away from Sarcasmistan may be in order though :)

Boden

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Lexington KY
    Why is this a "Scam"?

If the Atlus works, and if people like it, what is the Scam?
    120$ for a generic tank with a 3W resistor as the heating element. Plus all the BS about how it is diferent than using wire as a heating element... Produces less toxins... What a load.

I've got some magic magnets for sale. Only 300$. Makes your vapor taste better. Guaranteed to do you no harm.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    120$ for a generic tank with a 3W resistor as the heating element. Plus all the BS about how it is diferent than using wire as a heating element... Produces less toxins... What a load.

I've got some magic magnets for sale. Only 300$. Makes your vapor taste better. Guaranteed to do you no harm.

Where does Performance, Taste, Ease of Use, Over-All Cost fall into all this?

This could be The Greatest Tank I ever used. And make all my other Gear look like Trash. Or it might be a Complete POS. Or more likely, something in between.

I like to Reserve Judgment until I try something for Myself. Or at least, to hear what some Other Users who are looking for the Type of Hit I like have to say.

Boden

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Lexington KY
    Where does Performance, Taste, Ease of Use, Over-All Cost fall into all this?

This could be The Greatest Tank I ever used. And make all my other Gear look like Trash. Or it might be a Complete POS. Or more likely, something in between.

I like to Reserve Judgment until I try something for Myself. Or at least, to hear what some Other Users who are looking for the Type of Hit I like have to say.
    We tested these years ago. The elements crack quite quickly.

Just be cautious. We are already using the safest combination of parts. Kanthal was chosen for very specific reasions. Cotton as well.

Take care.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    We tested these years ago. The elements crack quite quickly.

Just be cautious. We are already using the safest combination of parts. Kanthal was chosen for very specific reasions. Cotton as well.

Take care.

Say What? :blink:

So someone tries something "Years Ago", and it Doesn't work with what they used, so anything Now Isn't going to Work that kinda looks like it?

And I'm Not Sure how Anyone can make a Blanket Statement like... "We are already using the safest combination of parts, ..." seeing that I don't think there is Even Agreement as to What Level of Safety we have?

Jeeze, why don't we let a Few People try this Tank and get a Better Understanding on what the Heating Element is Actually made of before Final Judgment is Passed.

:facepalm:

Boden

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Lexington KY
    I don't believe Kanthal was chosen for any other reason than it is a widely available resistance wire. I don't think there was much science behind the decision.

That and it's inert in eliquid, self insulates and has useful resistance per length. Remember when NiCr was the standard wire in attys, remember why the DIY community switched to Kanthal A1? I do. Kanthal A1 forms a layer of Al2O3 on it's surface when heated.

Say What? :blink:

So someone tries something "Years Ago", and it Doesn't work with what they used, so anything Now Isn't going to Work that kinda looks like it?

And I'm Not Sure how Anyone can make a Blanket Statement like... "We are already using the safest combination of parts, ..." seeing that I don't think there is Even Agreement as to What Level of Safety we have?

Jeeze, why don't we let a Few People try this Tank and get a Better Understanding on what the Heating Element is Actually made of before Final Judgment is Passed.

I don't have to wait to know how this is going to end. This is basic material science and thermodynamics, there are only so many materials you can make this kind of resistor out of. They all suffer from stress fractures if cooled too quickly. Eliquid is a really good heat sink.

Y'all can do whatever you want, judge anything you want any way you want based on your personal preferences.

I would watch the video that Sparkky posted and listen closely to everything the guy in the video has to say with a critical ear.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    I don't believe Kanthal was chosen for any other reason than it is a widely available resistance wire. I don't think there was much science behind the decision.

Respectfully beg to differ BE. I was just beginning to introduce the principles of winding with strain to perfect contact coils about the time you joined ECF. Had been studying the phenomenon of vaping and progress of the industry for years prior as an investor. It was well explained here on ECF and elsewhere that Kanthal builds an alumina (ceramic) layer isolating underlying metallic strata from the liquid media. Stabilization of the circuit and user friendly winding approaches were the goals of the tensioned microcoil project and campaign to enlist more rebuilders. Couple these with a ceramic alumina wick media like Nextel and you have the best of all worlds in efficiency, thermal conversion and combustion deterrence.

However, there's an ... for every seat at this table. And certainly for some, perhaps many, being able to walk away from dicey pricey consumables or the average rewind vape may be just the ticket. Certainly for those that travel, have busy personal lives or just need the layoff or simplicity. It may be well worth it if not as rewarding in my opinion (likely). A welcome alternative for some.

What's curious to me is the timing of this introduction. Here we all are almost certain that the industry as we know it is about to get flushed. What somehow gives this product a pass? Curious as I'd be quite the skeptic in my own risk assessment without offset somewhere given the circumstances.

A few thoughts.

Good luck.

:)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread