Coil-less Atomizer - Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
I think it looks interesting and I am looking forward to seeing/hearing more about it. There are a lot of people who do not want to or honestly can not build their own coils, this might be a great alternative someday for that segment of the vaping population.

Agreed, there has to be progress (a start) to an alternative, I see more and more smokers getting frustrated with all the new (high performance) crap and I admit it's great for me, but for someone that just wants to pull out a device and hit a button to get them off cigs and not build coils or keep buying pre made's when pre made's of 2007 don't exist.
I have a couple on the way just to put it through it's paces, so we will see ............

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
Agreed, there has to be progress (a start) to an alternative, I see more and more smokers getting frustrated with all the new (high performance) crap and I admit it's great for me, but for someone that just wants to pull out a device and hit a button to get them off cigs and not build coils or keep buying pre made's when pre made's of 2007 don't exist.
I have a couple on the way just to put it through it's paces, so we will see ............

I hope you keep us up to date I really am interested in this. The majority of vapers I know personally fall into the plug and play style.

I've seen a lot of great comments here. I am no EE, although at one time gave it a go. Turned out 69% was good for a C+ in physics courses with National Merit Scholars in the program I was in but my midterms freaked me out too much to continue. I like all the comments pro/con from anyone knowledgeable on materials science. This is why ECF rocks.

In any case, the two comments that resonated with me are the fact that the market is possibly facing fallout/shutdown. Maybe, but devices are marketed globally so what cannot be sold in the US today, may still reach billions.

The second comment that resonated with me is simplicity. While I do not see this product as offering any additional simplicity, the market is in dire need of it, if it is to expand. I don't even own the device and found fault with the "developer" of the product in the video trying to get an o-ring over the cotton rather than placing it on first, but still, it's too much monkeying around for a lot of people that have never replaced brake pads on a car.

I can make a coil. You can make a coil. Some of us are making DIY juice, building boxes and even rebuilding atomizer coils that were not designed for it. But the majority of people will never take this hobby/lifestyle up as it currently is, and I do not think that this device opens it up to any more than currently vape.

We are in need of a "juice flow" metering technology for a portable vaping system. They need to replace the cotton. It's a dead end.

The coils are another issue. If this manufacturer isn't hitting the nail on the head, every little step in the right direction is great. I think we will eventually get there.

Will the laws that are put in to effect in the US prevent it's mass consumer up-take? Maybe.

Reactions: CMD-Ky

Mike 586

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2014
Ottawa
120$ for a generic tank with a 3W resistor as the heating element. Plus all the BS about how it is diferent than using wire as a heating element... Produces less toxins... What a load.

I've got some magic magnets for sale. Only 300$. Makes your vapor taste better. Guaranteed to do you no harm.

Yeah from start to finish these guys are just so obviously full of crap that its pretty funny.

Honestly though, that thing doesn't look like any resistor I've ever seen. On the other image from the site selling the thing, its translucent and you can see the wire inside, that looks far more like a non-standard SMD fuse than anything else.

attachment.php

The outer C section is just probably SS, that inner hunk of metal clamped around the rice pins looks like cut pieces of a bare, surface mount sense resistor to limit current since a typical fuse has a resistance far too low to fire on its own and the chip is likely nothing more than a high melting temperature fuse of some sort. Why else have such a poor attachment method for the "chip"?

In short it looks like a high melting point fuse (a nice fuse at that) with pieces of bare resistor put in series to limit the current.

Its clever, but nothing special and most certainly not Silicone Valley material. Only the true manufacturer knows what the hell the material is and I have serious doubts that the kid working out of his parents living room has the faintest clue.

It'll work for a while, but there's just no way all those press fit connections are going to last. We're talking 8 press fit connection points using 4 different materials from base to chip that will expand and contract differently. A traditional device only has two connection points and two materials, the SS of the screw/base and the wire.

Now I've barely even touched on most of the absolute BS in the description of the product, the presentation, or the people behind it. There's no need. Only a fool would fall for it....

...lucky for them there are probably enough fools for them to earn a good living.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Yeah from start to finish these guys are just so obviously full of crap that its pretty funny.

Honestly though, that thing doesn't look like any resistor I've ever seen. On the other image from the site selling the thing, its translucent and you can see the wire inside, that looks far more like a non-standard SMD fuse than anything else.

attachment.php

The outer C section is just probably SS, that inner hunk of metal clamped around the rice pins looks like cut pieces of a bare, surface mount sense resistor to limit current since a typical fuse has a resistance far too low to fire on its own and the chip is likely nothing more than a high melting temperature fuse of some sort. Why else have such a poor attachment method for the "chip"?

In short it looks like a high melting point fuse (a nice fuse at that) with pieces of bare resistor put in series to limit the current.

Its clever, but nothing special and most certainly not Silicone Valley material. Only the true manufacturer knows what the hell the material is and I have serious doubts that the kid working out of his parents living room has the faintest clue.

It'll work for a while, but there's just no way all those press fit connections are going to last. We're talking 8 press fit connection points using 4 different materials from base to chip that will expand and contract differently. A traditional device only has two connection points and two materials, the SS of the screw/base and the wire.

Now I've barely even touched on most of the absolute BS in the description of the product, the presentation, or the people behind it. There's no need. Only a fool would fall for it....

...lucky for them there are probably enough fools for them to earn a good living.
No doubt :facepalm:

http://www.ohmite.com/cat/acl_ap101.pdf

Reactions: Bad Ninja

upsetter21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2013
Alameda, CA
One of the first 510 atty's ever, Thermovape AVA, used this concept. You couldn't change the element and there was no additional wick. Instead the ceramic wicked the juice, and one could boil the atty to clean it.

My AVA are sitting in the vape junk pile now.

I think the springomizer is a better direction to follow since mere mortals can make springs, while there's more lead time in firing your own ceramic in case the filament becomes unavailable.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
It's a cash grab, them not putting out any details and withholding all information on their site, yet at the same time releasing the product asap with a high price tag. They know once the cat is out of the bag they won't make anymore sales so let's try and sell as many of these at 120 dollars while we can.

For the people that want this don't worry the second china gets a hold of this they'll be available for 20-30 bucks.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Has anybody actually tried this product yet?
Oh, no, we'd rather speculate, ridicule, and criticize. It's so much easier that way.

I can't defend or attack this product. I will admit that I'm a skeptic, but you never know.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
This model (seems like a beta test model) is definitely not the one to buy, to finicky compared to other designs, the bottom filling is messy and going backwards, the way that guo shows to wick doesn't work for me.Flavor / 3 mg nicotine is harsh and having to use 50 - 65 watts to get what vapor production you would get @ 30 - 40 w mode on any other tank and it does seem to keep heating a couple seconds after the fire button has been released, will there be better use of this element in better designs, absolutely.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

WallyO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Cicero,IL
Sorry to hear that Sparkky. I get mine tomorrow and was hoping for something special. I'll follow up after I give mine a whirl. Unless I am really peeved with it.
As far as the price...comparing it to what I used to spend smoking I didn't give it a second thought. I was easily going through more than 109.00 a week smoking. The thought of something simple and effective sucked me in immediately.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Shame we couldn't be doing these right here in the USA. Me personally, I don't buy a thing I can't rebuild myself (or reasonably supported for parts/consumables going forward) . Especially in our regulatory environment. Kudos to Kanger for being the first major to listen to folks right here on ECF for their ideas and supporting the concept of open devices. Too bad the suitable conditions for explosive innovation and capital formation have been stifled by our own government.

Good luck all. :)

wh01sjongalt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2011
USA
Running the Altus in TC on a DNA200 capped at 150w/480f, impedance locked, and ramp-up boost defeated. I'm using the TCR for Tungsten/.00450. Went with a much thicker wick made from Cotton Bacon in lieu of the paper thin 25mmx25mm square cotton they provide that left a lot to be desired. Wicking an Altus is straight forward and takes little effort or time.

Vaping MilkMan clone eliquid ~85vg/15pg - I know this juice very well, I vape it constantly.

First impressions: Excellent air flow, big lung inhales. Outstanding flavor, very smooth. It reminds me of the Vaporesso ceramic Ccell, only cleaner and even more flavorful. Vapes consistently all evening and the following day. Constantly refilling the bottom fill tank that can be only filled halfway (approx 3ml) is a pita, a top fill kit is coming soon to original Altus owners soon and a for very reduced cost (per Eric at OriginVape.com) and the team at GUO are implementing improvements to the device immediately rather taking a wait see attitude. I was worried about not having a replacement tank, but Eric assured me that if I needed a replacement tank that one would be shipped to me directly from the manufacturer, no questions asked.

Vapor production is above average for me, thick, warm, rich, but I'm not a cloud chaser so ymmv. I've been experimenting with the cotton to extend the time I can go before vapor production drops off. Setting your temp control, if you're using it that way as described above, is great way to keep the cotton cleaner for much longer. Prior to this, my cotton was fairly black within a day which reduces vapor production due improper wicking.

To all the people in this thread disseminating innuendo, and hyperbole regarding the product you sound like ... clowns. You really have nothing good to say about somebody doing something different than what your doing so why make up rhetoric and make fools of yourself?

Anywho, I ordered 2 more overpriced POS, overpriced, snake-oil-resistor attys, because I'm loving mine. Oh, they are pretty much sold out until Feb, but a few websites have a couple left floating around. I know VaporRange.com | Your Online Vape Store. Free US shippping. had them because I bought my 2nd one from them when Origin Sold Out, and Eric is getting me my 3rd one shipped out today.

~J

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I just like my vape with all the known material used in the gear,well, known...its about safety

But good on yer to the bleeding edgers and "look what i have"'r's, someone has to be a guinea pig for the chinese who like throwing new stuff out to entice you to spend money you dont have, on gear you dont need, and if you know happen to poison yourself in the meantime, well thats secndary to being able to say "look what i have" in a forum. I mean its not like the chinese ever produced something as gobsmackingly simple as baby formula and it went wrong...killed 4 known babies and poisoned 54,000 more babies. And people in Australia wonder why its hard to get formula here, because asian families raid the shelves and send it to China...anyhoo, yup China, they make really safe stuff because theyre good at chemistry....or actually adding things that kill people.

Ceramics (or Chinamics)...not for me, ceramic belongs in the tiles on my floor, not in my lungs

Then theres tungsten, which is believed to be the material inside the cvu, umm guess who has 2/3 the worlds supply of tungsten, anyone? anyone?...China. Oh btw, i hope the outer ceramic (sorry, Chinamic) material never cracks, welcome to tungsten irritation/toxicity.....i hope theres no thorium in their tungsten either, you dont want that in your lungs, i try and steer clear of radioactivity. Surely the chinese wouldnt just half ... their tungsten too?I was especially careful when TIG welding back in the day, wore face masks when grinding tungsten electrodes and using them..Wouldnt be my first choice of a vaping wire/electrode....oh wait, ceramics (sorry again, Chinamics) porous....gee that could be a problem...

Tungsten, Its not as benign as you want to think it is.

And lastly to the "look at me"'r's:

Must be nice to have the level of disposable income that some have, me i buy the best middle of the road gear that simply helps me avoid smoking...kinda thought that was the point of vaping - not smoking, but you know...

Maybe ill get to the point where i can see something advertised for a ludicrous price with sketchy safety and like buy 3 of them to hold over the peons on here

You asked for it, i delivered....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread