Coil manufacture resistance settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdrncds

Multiple ID Suspension
Oct 25, 2017
Farmington Hills, MI
Hi,

Im new to vaping, and I got lots of questions, and this would be my very first question post?

My smok v8-Q4 coil has imprinted info of 0.15Ω and best 90W-150W on it.
Questions:
  1. What happens when you raising resistance and lowering wattage, and vice versa?
  2. Should I always stick with 0.15Ω settings?
  3. For best results, is 120W golden mean for the coil above @0.15?
  4. Should I go with the highest number wattage setting when my coil is fresh and new?
Thank you.

Edited> When I say new to vaping, and my signature banner says since 2017 Feb, I swear I not trolling. All this time, Iv been using settings which defined by the replacement coil imprint. Took me a half a year to give a shot experiment with digits.

Last edited:

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
Manufacturer ratings are guidelines. The "best practice" drill I've found is after priming a new coil and letting it soak for a bit in the tank, start at a lower wattage than stated on the guide lines. You may get a few hits that have some "coil/cotton" flavor as some coils need to "break in". Then move the wattage up by say 3 to 5 watts. Have a vape or two. Keep moving the wattage up and test vaping until the flavor starts diminishing or you start to taste a dryness to the vape. At that point move the wattage down to the last good setting. This a a way you can find the vape you like best. It's all about finding what you like not about what is printed on the coil.

Mr. Relentless

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2017
New to vaping and you got a v8... nice. I start at about 30 on a new coil. You don't even get any vapor but it warms up and fills your cotton. Then I go up 10 to 15 watts at a time until i reach my preferred wattage. Usually takes about 5 minutes taking my time. Break in time can take a tank to get that cotton taste gone. Lower factory settings will last your coil longer. I have a arctic v12 that has a max watt of 160 and I leave it at 100 and it lasts me almost a month.

mdrncds

Multiple ID Suspension
Oct 25, 2017
Farmington Hills, MI
That resistance feature shouldn't be there imo. If adjusting it it should only be by .01 or so to match your coil. I wouldn't mess with it. It might read a couple points off what your coil is but that's a normal thing.
True, I able to range from 0.100 to 0.200, in increments of 0.01

Reactions: stols001

Mr. Relentless

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2017
Most mods don't have that option and I don't see the point of it. Resistance is resistance. Twist your tank on and let it read it... that's it. Unless your vaping in temp control then you lock ohms. I don't think smok makes tc coils so don't worry about that either. Just put it in watt mode put her at 90w or whatever you like and that's it.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Good advice, but you will get better coil life if you start out low (say 30 watts) and gradually increase wattage until you get a vape you like which may be LOWER than the printed guidelines, those are only manufacturer guidelines. I routinely vape lower than my coil's "recommended" resistance, as I like a cooler vape, and I also think it's more flavorful. With that said, you may be happiest around in there somewhere in the "recommended" range, but you may be surprised. I would re-prime with any new coil, or even with new juice. They all taste slightly different at different wattages, so with one juice, you may be higher than with another. You'll get to figuring this stuff out.

With lower wattage, you will blow through less juice, and you will also save on battery life and in all likelihood coil life. If those factors are not particularly concerning to you, then by all means use the recommended resistance, but I'd still prime by working your way up in increments. A well primed coil is a happy coil....

Best of luck,

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread