Coil surface area vs. ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapeasy

Jul 30, 2013
Seattle, WA
Hey everyone, I bought these "goonk" pre-wrapped coils off fasttech a while ago and I am using them in my vivinova 3.5ml.

They work pretty decent but I can't seem to get a decent enough vape off of them for me. I like my vape production on the warm side and it's coming through around room temperature (bleh).

I was thinking I could help the production of the vape by taking a wrap off ( from a 8/7 to a 7/6) to get lower ohms but then I would also lose some surface area (SA) for vaporization. Would the loss of surface area matter that much for vapor production?

Ex:

- 8/7 (+SA) wrap at 2.0 ohm
-Or-
- 7/6 (-SA) wrap at lower ohm ( 1.9-8?)

So... More SA but more ohms, or less SA but less ohms. What's your thought / experience on which wrap would give me a better vape? Any other tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

And on a side note, if I were to take a wrap off, around what ohm mark would I reach?

Battery info: Efest 1100 mah IMR18490
zuhu5yba.jpg

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Yup, shortening the coil wire length by taking a coil off is fine. It will lower the resistance by the ratio of the length you remove divided by the original length. I would not worry about the reduction in surface area. If the coil surface area goes too low compared to the power you apply, it will start giving you burnt hits.

If you could increase the voltage or watts of your PV you would get a warmer vape also.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
resistance = resistivity x length / crossectionalarea = k1 x l / r^2

surface area of hot wire = length x circumference = k2 x l x r

length; r = radius

R = k1 x l/r^2 so l = R x r^2 / k1
A = k2 x l/r so l = A x r /k2

therefore: R x r^2 / k1 = A x r/k2

A = kRr

For the same resistance, the bigger the radius, the higher the surface area;

to get more surface area, you want a thicker wire, but then you will need more length to end up with the same resistance

vapeasy

Jul 30, 2013
Seattle, WA
Well I did some calculations and found this (these calculations may be a little rough but found what I was looking for.):

The goonk wire is 32GA.
32GA = 0.042979 ohms/mm

I took the wire out that was supposedly running 2.0 ohms.
It measured out to be 46 mm which equates to (46)(0.042979) = 1.977034 ohms
(Not bad, goonk)

So now my goal was to reach around 1.5 - 1.8 ohm by taking off a wrap. I tested my ohms by taking the diameter of the silica wick (2 mm) and finding the circumference which should be roughly around the length of 1 wrap.
I took that length and subtracted it from the 46mm coil I previously had on my nova to find the ohms I'm running now.

(2 mm)(π)= 6.283 mm

46 mm - 6.3 mm = 39.7 mm

(39.7 mm)(0.042979 ohm/mm) = 1.7063 ohms

New coil = 1.7063 ohms

I might even take another wrap off next time and see how that vapes.

One problem that I'm encountering is a burnt taste, I thought it was the rubber grommet, and for the most part it was, so I replaced it, but I'm still getting a little bit of gross burnt flavor and I'm also getting very low e-juice flavor. Any suggestions?

Could it be the extra piece of 2mm silica I put on the top of the coil to keep the vape from getting into the tank? Should I try cotton wick? What's going on?

Last edited:

vapeasy

Jul 30, 2013
Seattle, WA
Sounds like you put a lot of brain power into how to correct a junk coil built with cheap unknown wire and questionable silica. As suggested get some Temco kanthal A1 wire and build a coil to your specs.

Yeah and an ohm Meter while I'm at it so I don't have to do this math again lol. Maybe a helio or kayfun also...

vapeasy

Jul 30, 2013
Seattle, WA
One problem that I'm encountering is a burnt taste, I thought it was the rubber grommet, and for the most part it was, so I replaced it, but I'm still getting a little bit of gross burnt flavor and I'm also getting very low e-juice flavor. Any suggestions?

Could it be the extra piece of 2mm silica I put on the top of the coil to keep the vape from getting into the tank? Should I try cotton wick? What's going on?

Anyone have an answer?

xyanide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
The Netherlands
Wrap a micro coil with 30 gauge, this will cover more of your wick than 32 gauge because you'll need to wrap more coils and produce that warm vape you're chasing. A multimeter from the DIY shop will help you out. I always wrap mine around a precision screwdriver and once you've done it a few times it'll be easier to work with than regular coils.
In my experience using cotton for a wick doesn't retain old flavors as much as silica does, especially when you dry-burnt silica.
Vivi novas are known to be fiddly devices and I only owned a mini in the past. The burnt flavor could be coming from improper wicking.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Anyone have an answer?

I don't think you mentioned what tank you are using?

-edit-
oh, sounds like vivinova.

You're running higher power now, so not surprising is you get burnt something; try twirling the tank to wet the coil area first; maybe at higher power the eliq just cannot wick upward fast enough.

Last edited:

vapeasy

Jul 30, 2013
Seattle, WA
I don't think you mentioned what tank you are using?

-edit-
oh, sounds like vivinova.

You're running higher power now, so not surprising is you get burnt something; try twirling the tank to wet the coil area first; maybe at higher power the eliq just cannot wick upward fast enough.

Yeah I've been doing that like mad. And I don't think I could get a burnt taste at 1.7 ohm 3.7 v.... It sounds like I could have the coil to tight or something of that nature preventing proper wicking....

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Yeah I've been doing that like mad. And I don't think I could get a burnt taste at 1.7 ohm 3.7 v.... It sounds like I could have the coil to tight or something of that nature preventing proper wicking....

You changed the coil since last burnt taste? Once theres some gunk that has gotten burnt on the coil, the burnt taste might stay for a while.

3.7 / 1.7 = 2.2 AMPS of current..... yeah, I kinda think that 2 amps sounds like enough to BURN stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread