Coilerinas Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Ladies, are you having fun with wire yet???
wirebath.jpg

Like @TrollDragon posted it's "no fun without pics".

matassine-400.jpg

Careful now...
33t86f.jpg

Awwww, just messin' with ya ... ;) :D

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
How's the Berserker RTA going? Have you got any ideas of what you want for your next RTA or RDA?
Oh I'm thrilled with my Berserker. A nice person sent me a bottom fill doggystyle RTA that's going to be what I work on next (yay!). I used a regular sub ohm tank because my mod kit took a crap and I thought gee I think I should at least get some use out of this tank and coil before I send it back and was heavily disappointed by it... even before I switched to mods from aios I had my eye on the nunchaku with the RDA and I found it on sale for like $25 and managed to talk my husband into getting it for me as an early Christmas gift so I played around with that yesterday to try to taste some different juices that I haven't had for a while without having to fill a tank 50 times. Turning the nunchaku RDA into a single coil build is not the easiest thing I've ever done but I did manage it. There's literally no images or videos of anyone having done that and I think that they're suggesting that you just build it on one side of the two prong build deck and then only have one of the air holes open because they have three on the top cap but it just doesn't seem like that would be the best way of doing it especially if you're trying to taste juice so I ended up putting it in the middle of the two posts. Honestly like if I had a year to collect things even on $30/month budget I think I would end up stuffing my entire Vape cabinet full of various different bits and bobs related to RDA and RTAs lol. It looks like the company that sold me the defective mod has come around and decided to honor their warranty I'm not too sure what I'm going to get there w/ store credit but probably just a mod. I can completely see how this can become like a major Hobby and not just a nic source

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
For new builders I recommend 26g kanthal, easy to work with and fast ramp. Guessing 2.5mm id (inner diameter) would be a good starting point.
I love 24 since my builds are lower (around .3 is my sweet spot). Kanthal is great, although I prefer more complex setups because of lasting power.
Been building since 2013 and I'm growing a little tired.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
@AvaOrchid, here's what you get in the Coilmaster DIY Kit v3:
1. 1 x Diagonal pliers
2. 1 x Needle-nose pliers
3. 1 x Stainless steel folding scissors
4. 1 x Pen styled Phillips screwdriver
5. 1 x Pen styled Flathead screwdriver
6. 1 x Ceramic Tweezer (T1)
7. 1 x Elbow Tweezer (T3) (With Rubber Caps for protection)
8. 1 x 10 ft 24 GA Kanthal A1 Wire
9. 1 x 521 Mini V2
10. 1 x Coiling Kit V4
11. 1 x Silicon rubber case for jigs
12. 1 x T styled HEX screwdriver (◇1.25mm, ◇1.5mm, ◇2.0mm)
13. 3 x Japanese Organic Cotton
Me personally I built my kit over the years. Buying a ready made makes things simpler but always remember that the tools don't make the craftsman...

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I have sort of a curiosity question. I don't feel like I'm anywhere close to being ready for something like a mechanical mod because it doesn't have safety features and I certainly do not have a proper understanding yet to jump into something like that. However from a stockpiling point of view I feel like a lot of people are including mechanical mods in their stuff even if they don't intend on using them immediately. Is there a ruggedness or less chance of something going wrong as far as the unit breaking with a Mech mod? My thought process is though I am not ready for something like that more than likely vaping as we know it is not going to be as easy somewhat soon and I could purchase one before all hell breaks loose and learn about it overtime and have one more item that may be less likely to break due to a chipset or something technical like that. What are the advantages of a Mech mod? Also what in the world is a dovpo SafeLink I mean I understand it reads variables and some other aspects but does it add a layer of safety to something like a Mech mod? I'm definitely on a budget and I need to make the best choices for the best chance of longevity
I used mechs early in my vaping career and they're just not for me. Not just for building issues, they're underpowered. I prefer to just adjust and let go. And with a median lifespan of 2 1/2 years for a mod, I don't find a necessity for mechs. True, they're easier to mantain, but not in all cases. Springs also fail. Only magnets will last a long time.

Reactions: Opinionated

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yep go for 26ga for now, 30 is way too fine (unless you use two strands and twist it) - but I'd start with 26ga then go down to 28ga. I use 28ga, but it is thin, and when you are learning, you are better off with something stronger
I still have a spool of 32 ga from the Oddyseus times (and Kayfun!) and twist three strands to make a 4 turn 2.5 ohm coil for several applications, specially RDA, goes swell with the Dead Rabbit SQ on the eleaf Pico Squonk.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
So I understand how to interpret gauge when it comes to simple round wire but when were talking about something like fused Clapton I'm not sure how thin the wire is in terms of me being able to work with it so the total diameter of the wire. With fused Clapton or just Clapton wire what would be an equivalent to 26 gauge in round wire like not exact just something workable I certainly don't want to purchase something less than the diameter of a 28 gauge round wire but I also don't want something as thick as a 22 gauge wire there's a lot more numbers and I'm not entirely certain how to interpret them properly to get a spool of wire that I can work with easily but also isn't some giant thick build for my little single coil RTA

Reactions: Opinionated

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
So I understand how to interpret gauge when it comes to simple round wire but when were talking about something like fused Clapton I'm not sure how thin the wire is in terms of me being able to work with it so the total diameter of the wire. With fused Clapton or just Clapton wire what would be an equivalent to 26 gauge in round wire like not exact just something workable I certainly don't want to purchase something less than the diameter of a 28 gauge round wire but I also don't want something as thick as a 22 gauge wire there's a lot more numbers and I'm not entirely certain how to interpret them properly to get a spool of wire that I can work with easily but also isn't some giant thick build for my little single coil RTA
When you measure claptons you'll find it has two numbers. The first one refers to the inner wire (generally round and very low, 24 or less) and the second one refers to the outer wire that covers it, generally high numbers. Depending on your target, you search for the wire. As a general rule, the higher the number you'll have a higher ohm coil. I generally buy my claptons premade, it's very hard to target exact resistance after building. I've had great success with Vandy Vape or Coilology MTL wire.
9653074-1.jpg

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

Unfortunately it looks like fasttech are discontinuing their MTL coilology wire, which is what I've used. Anyway using something similar:

A clapton as @Susaz said above, is a thicker single wire - wrapped with a thin outer wire.
    $4.97 Authentic Vandy Vape Ni80 Superfine MTL Fused Clapton Heating Wire - 30*2/38 AWG / 0.25mm*2/0.1mm dia. / 3.5ohm/ft / 10ft at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    9645628-1.jpg

A fused clapton wire is two thicker strands of wire - wrapped with a thin outer wire. You figure out what the inner and outer wires are in the product description:

Authentic Vandy Vape Ni80 Superfine MTL Fused Clapton Heating Wire
    30*2/38 AWG / 0.25mm*2/0.1mm dia. / 3.5ohm/ft / 10ft
    This says it is ni80 30ga(AWG)x 2 wrapped in 38ga wire. It then gives the metric measurements.

An example MTL clapton wire:

Authentic Vandy Vape Ni80 Superfine MTL Clapton Heating Wire
    30/38 AWG / 0.25mm/0.1mm dia. / 6.95ohm/ft / 10ft

Tells you that is is ni80 30ga wire, wrapped in 38ga wire.

These two above wires would ramp/heat up similar to 26ga wire and there overall diameter (0.46mm) would be the same as coiling with 25ga wire

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Unfortunately it looks like fasttech are discontinuing their MTL coilology wire, which is what I've used. Anyway using something similar:

A clapton as @Susaz said above, is a thicker single wire - wrapped with a thin outer wire.
    $4.97 Authentic Vandy Vape Ni80 Superfine MTL Fused Clapton Heating Wire - 30*2/38 AWG / 0.25mm*2/0.1mm dia. / 3.5ohm/ft / 10ft at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    9645628-1.jpg

A fused clapton wire is two thicker strands of wire - wrapped with a thin outer wire. You figure out what the inner and outer wires are in the product description:

Authentic Vandy Vape Ni80 Superfine MTL Fused Clapton Heating Wire
    30*2/38 AWG / 0.25mm*2/0.1mm dia. / 3.5ohm/ft / 10ft
    This says it is ni80 30ga(AWG)x 2 wrapped in 38ga wire. It then gives the metric measurements.

An example MTL clapton wire:

Authentic Vandy Vape Ni80 Superfine MTL Clapton Heating Wire
    30/38 AWG / 0.25mm/0.1mm dia. / 6.95ohm/ft / 10ft

Tells you that is is ni80 30ga wire, wrapped in 38ga wire.

These two above wires would ramp/heat up similar to 26ga wire and there overall diameter (0.46mm) would be the same as coiling with 25ga wire
    So have you bought a daedalus kit yet?
    https://www.amazon.com/AvidArtisan-Daedalus-Pro-Full-Drill/dp/B07HHH39V7

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread