Color of 100mg base liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually keep ~50ml of base in an amber bottle the chest that holds all of my steeping liquids.. the rest is in the freezer in amber bottles and in a box.

when I reached into the envelope yesterday to pull out the bottles of nic when I received them, my hand came out coated in liquid. I quickly ran to the sink and rinsed it all off, but my hand stayed a little numb and tingly for about an hour afterwards, and my stomach was a little queasy for about the same amount of time.

My point, going back to Myk about me being melodramatic, was that if we have people going to emergency rooms due to exposure like this, or mail handlers being exposed to this stuff.. that gives the FDA and other organizations the statistics that they need and we /are/ going to see regulation.. period. We don't want that.

And they're obviously already targeting us. RTS got raided/investigated/whatever last week by the department of homeland security (...?) and the FDA just did a "study" on all of the negative things in our liquids. This is them trying to build a case against vaping. We don't need our vendors giving them ammo. Period.

FinallyQuit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2011
SC
Store it in glass in the freezer, and leave a little out for experimenting. I know I gave a bottle of 36 mg Totally Wicked Red Label PG to my brother which had been stored for over a year in the freezer. VG-nic stores much longer unchanged than PG-nic, especially if it is not ultra-pure nic in the first place. This stuff was orange. But because of its remarkable tobacco notes that had developed, it became my brother's favorite liquid. He actually used it as a flavoring for other juices. Loved it, and admittedly I did too, but I can't vape PG much, so that was that with it.

I am purposefully aging some 35 mg VG from Vermont Vapor now. Another remarkable transformation. Actually takes on a maple tobacco taste with tanning time.

My favorite unflavored nics are those that have a bit of edgy funk to them. This is vaping unflavored e-juice. I am not alone, this is something discussed at length in another DIY thread. Other alkaloids present in trace quantities can also add a flavor, but not the color that oxides add.

I suspect that the reason well-aged cigars are so good is in part due to the formation of nic-oxides. I also suspect that your juice will make very nice fruit-tobacco liquids, but then again, that taste is not for everyone.

I like anchovies, but I am well aware that I am in the minority on that.

Thanks for this response! I was debating tossing it, or using it as pesticide, but really when I'm already mixing tobacco flavors, what's wrong with it? I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Store it in glass in the freezer, and leave a little out for experimenting. I know I gave a bottle of 36 mg Totally Wicked Red Label PG to my brother which had been stored for over a year in the freezer. VG-nic stores much longer unchanged than PG-nic, especially if it is not ultra-pure nic in the first place. This stuff was orange. But because of its remarkable tobacco notes that had developed, it became my brother's favorite liquid. He actually used it as a flavoring for other juices. Loved it, and admittedly I did too, but I can't vape PG much, so that was that with it.

I am purposefully aging some 35 mg VG from Vermont Vapor now. Another remarkable transformation. Actually takes on a maple tobacco taste with tanning time.

My favorite unflavored nics are those that have a bit of edgy funk to them. This is vaping unflavored e-juice. I am not alone, this is something discussed at length in another DIY thread. Other alkaloids present in trace quantities can also add a flavor, but not the color that oxides add.

I suspect that the reason well-aged cigars are so good is in part due to the formation of nic-oxides. I also suspect that your juice will make very nice fruit-tobacco liquids, but then again, that taste is not for everyone.

I like anchovies, but I am well aware that I am in the minority on that.

Hey Kurt, did you mean to say this backwards? VG-nic stores much longer unchanged than PG-nic
I think that PG Nic holds up better than VG Nic. From my experience it does anyway :)

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Awesome - I gotta get me some of those bottles! The only thing I'm curious about is how big of a needle can fit in those holes? Right now I use 14ga blunt tip needles to suck up my VG nic base - any tips for dealing with that and using these bottles?

14 gauge might be too wide. I use 17 gauge and have to force them through the center hole the first time I use the insert. Putting the bottle in some warm water for a bit before mixing helps with the flow, especially in winter.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Hey Kurt, did you mean to say this backwards? VG-nic stores much longer unchanged than PG-nic
I think that PG Nic holds up better than VG Nic. From my experience it does anyway :)

Not my experience, Salem. The only nics I have had go yellow in me in the freezer were PG-nics. I have had some that used very pure nic, however, that held up as well as my VG-nics.

Chemically it makes sense to me. VG sets up like a thick glue, so nic molecules can't move around as much and find O2 molecules (which are present no matter what you do, there is a little in PG or VG). PG stays much more liquid in the freezer, so more chance for nic to find O2. The liquid I am thinking of was TW 36 mg PG Red Label...now THAT'S going back a long time! First nic I ever bought.

DV Platinum Ice 54 mg PG did not change after a year. Same time in the freezer as the TW. I think the TW was lower quality, which generally means more other alkaloids, which can oxidize faster than nic. I don't think it would have been nearly as extensive had it been VG.

Out of curiosity, what VG-nics did you have turn in the freezer? I know you are a stickler for high purity.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Thanks for this response! I was debating tossing it, or using it as pesticide, but really when I'm already mixing tobacco flavors, what's wrong with it? I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

Way back in the early days the only unflavored nic you could get was Dekang. That nic was NEVER colorless! It was ALWAYS yellow to orange. And it was lower than 100 mg. I think the highest you could get was 36 mg. Not to everyone's liking, but it never hurt anyone, either. That I know of, anyway.

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
14 gauge might be too wide. I use 17 gauge and have to force them through the center hole the first time I use the insert. Putting the bottle in some warm water for a bit before mixing helps with the flow, especially in winter.

Perfect, I will try this, thanks!

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Not my experience, Salem. The only nics I have had go yellow in me in the freezer were PG-nics. I have had some that used very pure nic, however, that held up as well as my VG-nics.

Chemically it makes sense to me. VG sets up like a thick glue, so nic molecules can't move around as much and find O2 molecules (which are present no matter what you do, there is a little in PG or VG). PG stays much more liquid in the freezer, so more chance for nic to find O2. The liquid I am thinking of was TW 36 mg PG Red Label...now THAT'S going back a long time! First nic I ever bought.

DV Platinum Ice 54 mg PG did not change after a year. Same time in the freezer as the TW. I think the TW was lower quality, which generally means more other alkaloids, which can oxidize faster than nic. I don't think it would have been nearly as extensive had it been VG.

Out of curiosity, what VG-nics did you have turn in the freezer? I know you are a stickler for high purity.

MFS VG nic turned rancid. Not tanned, rancid, after less than 1 year in the freezer. I have some VG nic in the freezer from BE that I really need to send to you to use since you like it so much. I just can't vape it lol It has been there for more than 2 years but, it seems to be the same as when I put it there.

I have PG Nic in the freezer for 2 plus years that is as odorless and clear as the day that I put it there. I normally do not buy VG based nic since my bad experience with it but, I do happen to have some RTS VG nic in my freezer now that I am trying to use up first.

The experience with the MFS VG nic was about 2.5 years ago.

ETA- Of course I value the knowledge that you share with the rest of us and may have to rethink my long term nic storage options :thumb:

Last edited:

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
MFS VG nic turned rancid. Not tanned, rancid, after less than 1 year in the freezer. I have some VG nic in the freezer from BE that I really need to send to you to use since you like it so much. I just can't vape it lol It has been there for more than 2 years but, it seems to be the same as when I put it there.

I have PG Nic in the freezer for 2 plus years that is as odorless and clear as the day that I put it there. I normally do not buy VG based nic since my bad experience with it but, I do happen to have some RTS VG nic in my freezer now that I am trying to use up first.

The experience with the MFS VG nic was about 2.5 years ago.

ETA- Of course I value the knowledge that you share with the rest of us and may have to rethink my long term nic storage options :thumb:

Salem, I know that vintage of MFS well. I have a bunch of it. It is what I wrote the original Smoke Juice Storing thread about, although mine is January 2010. I doubt that it actually went rancid. That implies a bacterial infestation, which is not really possible. Please tell me why you say it was rancid, as I would be very interested.

However, mine does have an unpleasant aftertaste that I suspect is some residual solvent. It has a hydrocarbon taste that I do not like. It is interesting that I did notice that taste when I first got it, but it was my first 100 mg nic at the time, and I didn't have much reference. I just flavored it up and tried to ignore it...but never really did. I pulled out a bottle last spring to just see if it had yellowed at all. It had not, and it still had that familiar yucky aftertaste. But since I am now used to nic with no flavor at all, it seemed REALLY pronounced to me, although I don't think it had increased with time, although if it is residual solvent it is possible that solvent came to the surface upon freezing. I've heard MFS is much cleaner now. Haven't ordered from them since I got that batch, but I've not seen any complaints.

Box Elder VG-nic??? :hubba: You are a real sweetheart!! :wub: You know I could not turn that down...but yeah, I do know why you cannot vape it. Is it the same batch you sent me back during the "Great Storm" of November 2011...I know the nic level of that stuff. And I vaped it! Still hands down my favorite unflavored vape, far and away. Other than the Death Nic, that is. That stuff was scary! Anyway, PM me! :)

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Rancid may not have been a good description while talking to a technical type person such as yourself. I really should have said it was beyond gross in smell. I did not have the guts to taste so I will leave it at that lol

I know exactly what you mean. Back then, we did not have the choices with nic that we do now. We had to use it whether we liked the taste/odor or not. I am only so glad that those days are well behind us myself!

I really thought that I had read in your original thread that PG held up longer than VG nic. That thread has been my nic juice storage bible.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
It's just unfortunate that the rest of us are going to have to suffer because the FDA found people like you, and VIP, who don't currently care and felt the need to protect us from ourselves.

If the FDA uses people's attitudes to do away with vaping it's not going to be the people who try to remain rational. It will be because of people running around like Chicken Little, they will play up those fears.
They have you claiming that 3 drops of 100mg on someone's skin anywhere is enough to kill a postal worker, vs me saying it doesn't work like that because your math is wrong and no worker is going to get it on thin skin or let it sit around on their skin if they did.
And you think they're going to use my attitude as the excuse? You vape and DIY and you're making an argument for them to say that 100mg is too dangerous to ship.

We can ship gamma cyhalothrin and a million other pesticides but watch out for that nicotine.

Just try being rational about it. You don't need to make 100mg nicotine out to be more dangerous than it actually is to say that the packaging was bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread