FDA Common misconceptions about FDA regulations ( I hope CASAA will address at some point in the next few weeks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
It's almost clichéd that Congress passes ambiguous laws that are then 'interpreted' by the agencies that are affected. EPA is a good example. There have been several incidences of Congressmen and/or Senators - some of which introduced the bills - saying that the actions that the agencies have taken 'were no part of the intent or wording of the law as passed'. (paraphrasing of course).

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
It's almost clichéd that Congress passes ambiguous laws that are then 'interpreted' by the agencies that are affected. EPA is a good example. There have been several incidences of Congressmen and/or Senators - some of which introduced the bills - saying that the actions that the agencies have taken 'were no part of the intent or wording of the law as passed'. (paraphrasing of course).

Gee, to borrow a phrase, it's almost like the wild, wild west. ;)

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Gee, to borrow a phrase, it's almost like the wild, wild west. ;)

More like Brokeback mountain when it comes to certain congress critters and the agencies.
cowboyve51.gif

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
Regulations have the "force and effect of law." For purposes of our discussion here, there is no practical difference. Only the U.S. Congress or the federal courts can trump FDA regulations.

I'm not going to argue with that point as you stated it.

However it may also be relevant to note that a clearly illegal regulation would not have the "force and effect of law," in the sense that the agency would probably have to back down because it might even get scolded by a federal judge.

Go back to my hypothetical - proposed rule becomes final. Now FDA publishes in the FReg that 21 is the age for vaping products. Next, it shuts down a B&M for selling a drip tip to a 20 year old. The FReg clearly does not have the "force and effect of law" as it were, in the sense that the FDA would be very stupid not to back down in that situation.

That's a silly hypothetical, but it raises the larger issue of situations in which regulations may be regarded as unjustified with a prior valid exercise of APA rulemaking or inherent statutory authority.

And that larger problem may be relevant in the situation of the health effects test. You pointed to my ex. of smokeless tobacco, and the general absurdity of regulating vaping like tobacco cigarettes. This not-so-niggling objection - namely that a reg. (something in the FReg) is outside the scope of valid rulemaking and the inherent powers under enabling statutes - is in fact a situation in which the regulation doesn't really have the "force and effect" of law. Even though the intervention of a Fedl court would be (as you correctly point out) be requried to stop the FDA from acting illegally in that particular way (say, by denying an application).

I know that seemed like a "shaggy dog story" LOL but you guys get where I'm going :D

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
Julie Woessner (Pres.) has a JD too.

Primarily this guy...
Keller Heckman | Professionals | Azim Chowdhury

And this guy is advising SFATA...
Venable LLP | Professionals | Ralph S. Tyler

Although CASAA has a few lawyers on their board of directors.
And another lawyer named Gregory Conley who was with CASAA but is now with the American Vaping Association.

I don't think any of them have any experience with the FDA though.
But I imagine they have consulted some such lawyers, and Azim Chowhurry would be my guess.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I know that seemed like a "shaggy dog story" LOL but you guys get where I'm going :D

Not really. Although I don't get most of your references. What bdhawk says is true - only congress and courts, even if the fda is 'scolded' by a judge, that's still courts.

It appears your 'hypothetical' has nothing to do with anything other than your mental .........ions. So there's a law that you can't spit on the sidewalk. It's not enforceable.. is that what you're saying. If so, so what? (that's rhetorical).

Fitzie

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Staten Island, NY, USA

Theoretically, I think I see the point you're trying to make. But I don't see any practical impact until the regs are finalized and issued. Until then, how could anyone begin to argue (as in litigate) that they go beyond the scope of the enabling statute?

Now, if what you mean is that you've read the statute and proposed regs and think the proposed regs go beyond the scope of the statute, I suppose that could be addressed in your comments to the FDA (using the rhetorical "you").

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
Theoretically, I think I see the point you're trying to make. But I don't see any practical impact until the regs are finalized and issued. Until then, how could anyone begin to argue (as in litigate) that they go beyond the scope of the enabling statute?

Now, if what you mean is that you've read the statute and proposed regs and think the proposed regs go beyond the scope of the statute, I suppose that could be addressed in your comments to the FDA (using the rhetorical "you").

Right - this is our problem: we have no idea how they plan to define the health effects balancing test required by the FSPTCA's phrase "appropriate to public health" in the context of vaping. To make matters worse, as far as I know, they've never reviewed - let alone receieved - an application for a tobacco cigarette under the "new" (not SE) pathway. Or any tobacco product, for that matter.

(Which makes sense to me: after all, if every tobacco product is as dangerous as tobacco cigarettes, by definition any new tobacco product has a net negative effect on public health, and must therefore necessarily be a loser under the "appropriateness" standard of rerview!).

The best information we have so far is within the SE rubric. While I loathe Glantz, he does have some rather interesting blog posts on the subject ...

http:// tobacco.ucsf .edu/fda-removes-first-4-tobacco-products-market-3513-go

(Useful for some good general links on SE)

www. tobacco.ucsf .edu/public-comment-fdas-process-documenting-substantial-equivalence-need-high-standards-evidence-and-rea

(Mainly interesting for the image of an SE application)

Frankly I can't find any useful guidance at all on their site about either the SE or the new products pathway, so it must be in the freg. Although some fiddling here might help: FReg search (I've never had occasion to use this.)

BTW not to pimp, I just posted this on another thread about population studies and various devices, in case it matters (I think it might turn out to be quite relevant to the new products pathway).

(And yes, I read a lot of Glantz. In some ways, he's more interesting than our friends like Siegel, C.V. Phillips, Rodu, etc. That doesn't mean I enjoy reading him :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
You may be sorry you asked, they are not brief or written in plain english.....:(

Demonstrating Substantial Equivalence for Tobacco Products

Modified Risk Tobacco Product Applications

Ah thanks! :) Those weren't exactly what I was looking for, however, they lead me to this (the new products draft guidance): www.fda.gov/downloads/TobaccoProducts/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/UCM273425.pdf

To get MRTP (modified risk) you still have to come in under one of the three pathways - the two SE pathways (neither of which are relevant of couse), and the new pathway.

https://www.google.com/#q="Draft+Gu...+Review+of+New+Tobacco+Products"+site:fda.gov

also has smoe more interesting stuff.

sky4it

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Minnesota
Yes, and there are good reasons to file for an injunction, even if there's little likelihood of success. Although deep pockets are needed to pony up the fees. For that, the plaintiff(s) might get some interesting info. from discovery, and some good publicity out of it.

For ex., I suspect this one went nowhere in the courts, but was probably useful to BT: Lorillard and R.J. Reynolds File Suit Against FDA to Prevent it from Relying Upon TPSAC Recommendations; Alleges Conflicts of Interest Among Panelists

Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread