Concern about a spill cleanup on furniture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krutoymush

Jul 1, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I recently had a 30ml bottle of my ejuice break open in my cargo pocket while sitting on a cushion chair in a meeting room. No idea how that happened, but the rubber stopper came out. My home-mix juice had about a 25% solution of nicotine (which was from a 250ML bottle of 48MG nicotine (4.8%) in PG). Perhaps it was half that, I can't recall.

My shorts were soaked in it. After noticing, I washed my leg and shorts as best I could, but drove home in them (with a book between the fabric and most of my leg) for about 30 minutes. I didn't have any ill effects, other than agitation and anxiety, which may have just been because I was nervous about whether I had been over-exposed or not.

But my concern is about the fabric of the chair, and others that might sit in it in that meeting room.

I went back the next morning, and washed (unfortunately scrubbing) with soap and wet paper towels (x2). Another person also scrubbed with a rag and detergent.

But I'm wondering if that was enough. I'm 220lbs with probably a high tolerance. What if another person with bare skin sits in that spot, or puts a child on that spot. I'm thinking I should go there and seek to have the chair soaked down or something. Am I being overly concerned?

So, some questions...

will nicotine degrade over time in the environment?

Should I go back and wash it more, just to be safe? If so, what is the best way to get it out of the fabric and/or cushion under the fabric?

Thanks.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Wipe off the book with a damp cloth or sponge. Should be fine. As to the couch, sounds like you did a good job of cleaning it up. If anything, another day of going over it with a damp sponge, with many rinses, should finish it off and make it totally safe.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Inappropriate and rude.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Don't respond to it. Just report it. Sheesh!

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
YES, as Lessifer already mentioned, degrades,
sounds as if you're going to be A.O.K.
many of us have had vape mail arrive with spills or accidentally caused similar.
I use whatever is handy and appropriate, a bit of dish soap, or laundry spot out, after plain
wet wipe up.
If particularly aromatic, I guess you could get totally .... and spray a tad of fabreeze or similar- im
sure its gone by now.
Thanks for sharing.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
many of us have had vape mail arrive with spills or accidentally caused similar.

Yes, and this is very unfortunate since it's 2016 and vendors should know how to ship liquid product.

I had a friend who had another VERY BAD experience recently, lets just say that their entire small rural PO smelled like the ejuice .....it was a sopping mess....... and, absolutely no response from the vendor when he emailed them.....obviously, they didn't care.

Krutoymush

Jul 1, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for all the input. I'm just overly cautious because sometimes the worst case scenario happens, and it'm my responsibility to prevent this. Worst case might be that a small child might sit in that spot with a bare leg for an hour or more... and even though a low does, it might effect them.

Probably not a big deal.. since I was sitting in it for half an hour at full strength, but better safe than sorry. Just wish I knew how that rubber in the stopper came out while it was just in my pocket.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Thanks for all the input. I'm just overly cautious because sometimes the worst case scenario happens, and it'm my responsibility to prevent this. Worst case might be that a small child might sit in that spot with a bare leg for an hour or more... and even though a low does, it might effect them.

Probably not a big deal.. since I was sitting in it for half an hour at full strength, but better safe than sorry. Just wish I knew how that rubber in the stopper came out while it was just in my pocket.
I understand your concern, and it's good that you want to be responsible. You should probably find different bottles to carry your liquid in, and you should consider labeling them so you know exactly what's in it.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
It sounds like you resolved the issue.

If it had been me, I'd have taken the chair outside and given it a thorough soak with a garden hose and let it air dry for a few hours. Soap is not necessary. PG and VG are humectants, so the water will bond with and dilute the PG/VG and thus the nicotine percentage that the liquids are carrying.

Glad you care enough about others to ask!

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Just an fyi in the future.. while those ebay store carry cheap batteries, they do have e cig cases that you can buy inexpensively in order to more safely carry your juice and charger and vape equipment of your choice when your on the go. It might be a bit preventative for next time.. I just love mine, very handy to have!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Should I go back and wash it more, just to be safe? If so, what is the best way to get it out of the fabric and/or cushion under the fabric?

Thanks.

It sounds like the Chair has been Washed Twice. And both times with Soap and Water.

I really think that the Very Small amount of Nicotine that was there has Now been very Diluted with both the Water and also with the Soap. And soaked up in the Towels that were used. So I really think that it is Fine.

But if it would make you Feel Better, you could wash it Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread