Coneheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randyrtx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Cedar Park, TX
Just got my 2.2Ω Stardusts in the mail. The little metal thingy in silicone seal now has a cone top that protrudes through it and up into mouthpiece.

Works good on my Ego from first vape, can't wait til it breaks in a bit.

Has a little bit of an off taste, I should have given it a rinse before filling, but it's not very noticeable.

Thumbs up so far! :thumb:

Last edited:

Randyrtx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Cedar Park, TX
Not a great shot, but I think you can see it. (Added a better shot)

DSCN0551.jpg DSCN0554.jpg

Last edited:

austerity

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2012
United States
Ah, cool. That's probably a good thing. Mine sometimes don't line up quite right. It has only been a problem with one of them and that is because I lost the white o-ring. Not the one on the mouthpiece but the one on the inside of the neck. It seems to be important for guiding the mouthpiece in properly. I have to fiddle with it to get everything lining up just perfect or it doesn't hit as well and sometimes juice leaks in. That new cone should fix that.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm Sure, or perhaps I Hope, or at least I Surely Hope that the OEM Understands that Most users of a Stardust want a Mod-able Carto. And if is not Mod-able or is Made to be More Difficult to Mod that Many User, if not a Major Percentage, will Not Purchase them at the Current Price Point.

I understand the OEM's thought that they would like a True Disposable Carto so vapers will keep lining up to buy More. But Unfortunately I don't think that is a Viable Model to make Maximum Profits. Not in this era of e-Cigarettes.

Putting another Dollar or So of Design into a Carto to Make it More Mod-able like a Threaded Tube to Battery Connector is the Direction I would Suggest. And Selling Replacement Wick/Coil Assemblies makes more Sense for repeat Business.

OEM's need to start Thinking more along "Tank" lines. Where the OEM sells a $12 Tank of Un-Crackable Plastic and then sells Easy to Install Replacement Wick/Coil Assemblies.

Aunt Cranky

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2010
Chicagoland
Well I think that's where they're going with the Stone Tank concept. The Stone v.3 looks promising in that regard.

I'm not even one of those folks who "needs" to mod a cart to be happy, I just want to be able to clean it sufficiently to keep it running longer than a week or two.

I would very much get behind the idea of a Stardust-like tank with replacement wicks - I would buy a ton of replacement wicks - pre-wrapped - so all I would have to do is change them out, test the unit, and I'm good to go. HOWEVER.. I can see where this might not be an optimal business model for a vendor. Not to mention, whenever you get into scenarios where average Jane and average Joe are mucking about with battery power and/or stuff that can explode / catch fire / cause problems because of lack of skill, etc. it opens up the vendor to blame.

Anyway... I really love the Stardust. Hope it's someday as easy to keep these going as my Fluxos. Waiting for the Stone III and replacement parts (of which I will gladly buy many!). Also looking forward to the new Fluxos coming toward the end of the month. :)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Where I think the problem is with OEM’s thinking of a Disposable, Hard to Mod Carto is the Price Point.

If a pack of CE2’s cost $15 for 5 and they can be Dry Burned and Reused Many Times, will Consumers buy a Single Top Coil Carto for 8 or 9 Dollars?

I think the Majority of People who will want to get more Life out of a 9 Dollar Carto than a 3 Dollar CE2. Not all but Perhaps most.

Briar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
A fool on the hill in Deposit, NY
I'm with the "cleaning crew" :) - all I want to do is be able to clean them reasonably, otherwise, with some of my juices, they won't last three days.

I don't have jewelry tweezers, and so I'm wondering how the heck I'm going to get the "hat" out with this cone thingie... I used to just hook it by the hole with a dental pick.

Randyrtx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Cedar Park, TX
I also want the Stardust to be easy to work on, but I wouldn't discount the market for those who simply want a fiddle-free device that works out of the box.

But anyway... we can relax. The tube presses out very easily using a drill press with a 5/32 nut driver as the "plunger". The nut driver fits over the cone so the actual pressing is against the silicone seal.

I can also see more clearly that there are absolutely no hairline cracks in the tank as a result of the knurling.

ETA: it presses back in just as easily!

Last edited:

Aunt Cranky

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2010
Chicagoland
I also want the Stardust to be easy to work on, but I wouldn't discount the market for those who simply want a fiddle-free device that works out of the box.

But anyway... we can relax. The tube presses out very easily using a drill press with a 5/32 nut driver as the "plunger". The nut driver fits over the cone so the actual pressing is against the silicone seal.

I can also see more clearly that there are absolutely no hairline cracks in the tank as a result of the knurling.

ETA: it presses back in just as easily!

... and what about us poor suckers who don't have a drill press. I have some basic power tool skill, but I wouldn't even know how to use a drill press.

I'm a homebrewer, knitter, computer geek - not a woodworker ;)

Randyrtx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Cedar Park, TX
Antfuzz, I did, but it started pulling the switch assembly out of my Ego battery (not the Stardust's fault, it's loose from me trying to remove the switch before).

Aunt Cranky, you don't have to use a drill press; a C-clamp or vise would work just as well (and you wouldn't need to know how to use a drill press either... mine isn't even plugged in!) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread