Status
Not open for further replies.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
running high ohms is extremely inefficient, i honestly have no clue why people still run anything over 2.0ohms nowadays, other than the fact that they dont want to/afraid of trying something else, you get uneven vaporizing of eliquid, which has no heat, and has hard time of wicking keeping up with unless you are running your power super low and take like 20second drags, its just terrible.

to be honesty i highly suggest you trying at least 1.2-2.0 ohm coils, you would 100% enjoy it more than vaping on a 3.0ohm resistance carto, and if you dont hell, ill send you my solara DNA30 that I dont use for free. im that positive that there is no reason for anyone to be vaping 3.0ohms right now unless they are really that stubborn or scared to try something new. It doesn't matter if it works for you, there are better and more convenient ways to vape nowadays than a 3.0ohm carto tank. taking 10s+ hits on a ecig is just abnormal, we never smoked cigarettes like that, and we dont breathe like that.

that's not true at all.
Sounds like something someone who only uses 4 volts and thicker wire would say.

What is inefficient is running low voltage.
The reason vape stuff runs on such low voltage - 4 volts - is that is the voltage of the batteries we use. It is because we use such low voltage that we also end up using low ohms.

Reactions: bluecat

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
I have a provari mini TI right now
I use a Carto Tank 3.0ohm at 5.2 volts

I wanted to know what WATT box mod I should get.
I would think that I would only need 20 watts since the provari mini is only 20 watts so I should not need any higher than 20-30 watts max for a box mod.

I want to know if this is correct? Do i only need a 20watt box mod?

Also would temperature control on the new box mods help me at all using a carto tank?

I know some box mods only support 2.5ohm and some support up to 3.0ohm so I would need to be careful of which one I get.
I want to find one that is like the provari that has correct power for what you set and that does not lose power as the battery drains down. The provari hits great all the way to the battery dying.

Any advice/suggestions would be great.

So again the questions are
1. Do I only need a 20watt box mod?
2. Will temperature control matter on a carto tank setup at 3.0ohm at 5.2 volts
3. Any suggestions on a box mod that can handle 3.0ohm and delivers the exact power and keeps the power till the battery dies.
Thanks

1: Yes
2: Yes
3: There are not currently any temp control mods that will work with your cartos

raylee

Jul 4, 2015
Get the Vaper Shark dna30 at $45.00 free shipping direct from VS. It is a steal. Good enough as a first box mod.
I had a SXmini M class & hardly goes above 30 w for my vaping style. Yet, it autofire and overheated. I would say dangerous mod. They refused my claim according to the seller cos I did not submit the box. Warranty card & receipt not good enough. I may take my case to the right body.
Ipv mini or the istick do not fire as consistently as the DNA 30.

Magikhat

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
www.flavorplace.com
I decided to go with a Freemax Starre Pro tank I just pre ordered two of them from Catolog
Use coupon code Subtank10 to get 10% off your order (case sensitive)
These are Temp Control Sub Ohm coils in this tank and they have 0.15 and 0.25 TC coil 5 packs for sale as well

They should be ready to ship on Friday or Saturday. So I will give up my carto tank setup once and for all.

I just need to decide if 75watts is enough to buy the sigelei 75w TC or if I should go with the Sigelei 150W TC or SnowWolf 200W TC. I want to get the best out there now so I dont have to worry later

I have never used a box mod or sub ohm tank so I dont know if 75w is enough or too little

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
That one is a hard call. The regular coils for the Starre require you run it around 70W, but tc is a whole different ballgame. I'm running 25-50J in tc on my sx mini with my rebuidables. If you are running 70W/J, the battery life won't be very good so a 2 battery mod would be a wise choice.

Hope someone can advise on that tank running tc.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
that's not true at all.

The reason vape stuff runs on such low voltage - 4 volts - is that is the voltage of the batteries we use. It is because we use such low voltage that we also end up using low ohms.

how is it efficient to run high resistance low surface area? then mind you the wicking has to keep up with that low surface area, so even if you do run it at higher power - the wicking cannot keep up. You really want to run some high gauge wire at 10+volts? you just said in your own post it is iniffecient because of the batteries we use. Whats the point of running 3.0 ohms anymore, there is none, it doesnt matter what justification you have, it either leads to less than ideal vape experience, or the inability to do so anyways. If you just want to disagree with me just to argue, then explain to me how 3.0ohm vaping is any good at all, because it is horrible and no one vapes like that anymore because we have advanced as an industry, there is no reason to unless you are scared of trying something else and stuck in that whole 'i vaped on 3.0ohms 3 years ago, so i chose the vape the same way now' mindset, there really is no justification to vape that high anymore, even if you have a stockpile of 3.0ohm cartos, basic new gear is cheap and way better and efficient

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
how is it efficient to run high resistance low surface area? then mind you the wicking has to keep up with that low surface area, so even if you do run it at higher power - the wicking cannot keep up. You really want to run some high gauge wire at 10+volts? you just said in your own post it is iniffecient because of the batteries we use. Whats the point of running 3.0 ohms anymore, there is none, it doesnt matter what justification you have, it either leads to less than ideal vape experience, or the inability to do so anyways. If you just want to disagree with me just to argue, then explain to me how 3.0ohm vaping is any good at all, because it is horrible and no one vapes like that anymore because we have advanced as an industry, there is no reason to unless you are scared of trying something else and stuck in that whole 'i vaped on 3.0ohms 3 years ago, so i chose the vape the same way now' mindset, there really is no justification to vape that high anymore, even if you have a stockpile of 3.0ohm cartos, basic new gear is cheap and way better and efficient

"how is it efficient to run high resistance low surface area?"
You should direct that question to whomever said it. I did not.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
"how is it efficient to run high resistance low surface area?"
You should direct that question to whomever said it. I did not.

? you were the one that said It wasn't true and said I was just some thick wire vaper? Why direct it at anyone else other than you?

that's not true at all.
- for reference.

If you vape on 3.0ohms+ resistance daily then sorry, whatever works i guess. But I dont know anyone who would vape at that anymore, its like some super high gauge wire with tiny surface area coils.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
? you were the one that said It wasn't true and said I was just some thick wire vaper? Why direct it at anyone else other than you?

- for reference.

alicewonderland said:
running high ohms is extremely inefficient, i honestly have no clue why people still run anything over 2.0ohms
that's not true at all.

What you said is that running high ohms is extremely inefficient.
My reply was that the inefficient thing was running low voltage.

You also said you honestly have no clue why people still run anything over 2 ohms.
I attempted unsuccessfully to explain it.
The shortest answer might be -------------------------- HIGHER VOLTAGE ?

Hope that helps

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
that's not true at all.

They still sell cartomizers at 3.0 ohm

they sell a bunch of old stuff thats not as good anymore. People still sell the old wickless styled 510 atomizers and CE4 style Clearomizers :eek: and people still pay for them and use them for some unknown reason, just a bunch of overstock from back when they were the best we could get at the time.

I got a snowwolf200w as well, but i upgraded from a rDNA40. The big wonkiness might feel weird switching from a provari mini, but you get used to it.

Last edited:

smokin909

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2014
Milan to Minsk
I still use cartos both LR and HR on my Provari mini which I love. Easy to use and set up if you're in a hurry to run out the door and don't have the time to rebuild an RDA or Kayfun. Also I take them with me when I travel as a backup if something goes wrong with my tank setup and I can't rebuild. I just ordered my first 30watt box mod - IPV Mini 30watt. that would be my recommendation to you. It fires from .5 - 3 oHms. It's ergonomic and small and runs a YiHi chip. Sigelei 30watt runs the same chip - just a more traditional box shape. Cons are that you need to invest in a charger (which I already had) and some 18650 batteries. Pros are I think its more reliable than a built in lipo battery. However if I were going for something with a built in battery then the VaporShark DNA 30 would be my pick. Super small and well built. It's been around for a while and doesn't have some of the issues the iStick 50watt seems to have had (which was my other option I was considering). I ended up with the IPV 30watt because my reasoning was that this was my first regulated VW box mod - it's small enough and cheap enough for my needs now. If I decide that I need more power two or three months down the line - I'll just look at the latest offerings which will be available at that time - which would probably be completely different to whatever is on offer at the moment!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread