Congestion Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

THETOTALLYCOOL

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
Spanish Harlem
I was introduced to Sudafed (Pseudoephedrine HCL) when I was scuba diving. Many divers take it as it clears the Eustachian tubes. And as a smoker, I found it necessary to take small doses 30mg almost daily.

Once I made the switch to vaping, I don't need it as often, but still seem to have a physical need. I consciously avoid it these days unless I'm congested. Anybody else take this product regularly, and have you gotten off it?

Else-- anything I can eat to help with congestion?

fabricator4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Mackay, Qld. Australia
Else-- anything I can eat to help with congestion?

Yep, a really hot curry does it for me. :)

Get a red curry, Thai hot (extra chili) and eat the whole thing. I like it so hot it makes my fingers tingle (I think it's an adrenaline reaction). I guarantee you will not be congested.

Sudafed is a precursor to something else and the chemists over here (drug stores to you?) don't even like to keep it on the premises any more. Special order only.

Some of the other over the counter medicines that never worked when you were smoking (like claritin) will probably have some affect for you now.

Sounds like you needed to stop using Sudafed anyway. What are the dependency symptoms? It strikes me they might be depression and mood swings, which strangely enough is what can happen when you give up WTAs (whole tobacco alkaloids) as well.

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
I've taken Sudafed, or generics there of maybe 3-4 times in my life - all while traveling and there wasn't any of my herbal congestion remedies available to me.

A cup of ginger root tea, eucalyptus or tea tree oil steam to breath in, chewing on a bit of strong onion or hot pepper all work if plain old steam won't do the trick.

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
I know all about err um physical needs ....
Your best bet is to just strait up stop taking it all together . Have someone help you a loved one or girlfriend . Have them constantly remind u that you cant have that. And read up on all the bad things and possable harm it can do to your body and remind your self of those possable outcomes everytime u have the urge to take it . Trust me I know what those urges feel like. Also a good thing to do that has helped me along the road is to save the amount of money that you would have spent on it when j get the urge and win . Take that money u would have spent and stuff it in a envelop and save it for something .kce for someone else .... Like your woman.

I fought a habbit that was expencive and I did this litle quirk and in 3 months I bought my girl an engagment ring from helsburg diamonds with the money I would have spent. The feeling I got from tbat was far superior to anything else.

The key to adiction ... No matter what the sustace is ... Is to first admit u are adicted then understand how it works then get suport from family friends even god, you dont ever have to do it alone. Then begin the fight and never give up. u will sucseed as long as u keep trying and you believe in yourself and you have suport thet believes in u too.

Sudafed is actualy quite addictive. I have known people who used it for know reason other than they had to just because.....
Also beware of slepping pills or anything containing diphenhydramine hlc verry adictive and dangerous.

The above poster is correct sudafed is the precursure to an aphetamine compound and is broken down into the same metabolites as its parent clmpound, iaslo ephedrine hlc is the same as sudephedrine and has the same metabolites when broken down . Bolth are phisicaly and mentaly addictive.

Last edited:

MikeDG

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Gilbert, AZ
New here! Just speaking through experience (a little 3 weeks vaping).

When I switched from analogs, I had congestion also. So I thought it's from switching to vaping. Then after my first 15ml of juice was gone, I tried another brand with Menthol flavor and the congestion is gone. Maybe a coincidence, maybe because it has been weeks since my last analog, maybe....

THETOTALLYCOOL

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
Spanish Harlem
Okay, I'm aware of the ephedrine thing. The physical symptoms I spoke of are congestion related. And I like curry. Yet, I was wondering if there was some food like celery or something which helped with phlegm. (Like apples are a fairly good substitute for morning coffee.)

I can try Claritin. I'm trying to get healthier and am even trying to get off my vitamin-d supplement, multi-vitamin, and so forth.

Maybe menthol. Maybe there's something in the juice I use. I had my local vale shop mix-up some 24mg with no flavor, but it tastes a little like balloons.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I would continue to take vitamin D supplement and multivitamin.......so many many people are vit D. deficient and it leads to all sorts of problems.

You may want to work w/a nutritionist to eat a low inflammation diet. Inflammation is what causes everything in your body from congestion to arthritis, makes sense, inflamed stuff swells, etc.

During this process I found that a lot of foods inflame me, and make my arthritis much worse. Same can be said for people with asthma. I have a neighbor who has asthma and was able to get off her inhalers completely now. :)

For me, until I cleared my body of certain foods,, I would not have noticed the difference. Now, even 1 teaspoon of sour cream and I am aware that I am congested, and my nose runs a little bit. I mean, I can FEEL my sinuses filling up with congestion. Dairy is real bad congestor for me.

Yes get off the sudafed. No, don't move to another pharmaceutical. JMHO

Last edited:

THETOTALLYCOOL

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
Spanish Harlem
Better, now. Pretty much stopped taking that product. But a couple recent issues with puking which seems congestion related, and often follows coffee. Perhaps there is a dairy issue, so I'll stop the cream in my coffee. I'm quite the dairy fiend, but as long as I don't have to give up cheese, I'll do okay. Man, I love cheese. In the next life, I want to be cheese.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread