Status
Not open for further replies.

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
Yes, Brandon is constantly trying new things. I think he said there have been something like 15 revisions. Mine is an older one, purchased back in May, so not too far different than the one Scott reviewed. I think the latest improvements have been a different LCD display and improvements to the arm (modified connector and soft stops at 90 and ~120 degrees for those that prefer other positions than fully open)

I've loved mine since the day I got it and if you have the opportunity to try one out in person, maybe some fellow vaper near you that has one, I highly recommend you do so :) You won't find many Darwin owners that will try to steer you away from one, that's for sure. While it does have downsides in some people's viewpoints, mostly personal taste or based on their individual needs, so does any mod and what it all will come down to is whether or not YOU like it ;-)

Check out this thread for some great info: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ything-you-ever-wanted-know-about-darwin.html

Feel free to ask questions, we're a friendly bunch ;-)

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
The new versions have a 3 position locking arm that is better than the previous model and a blue screen. I personally love the form factor and I like that it delivers a perfect hit every time. No matter what I've thrown at it I've gotten performance. Love my other mods for different reasons but I give Darwin the highest recommendation for consistent vaping.

I hesitated before buying mine and went through a number of models before Darwin. Can't imagine parting with it now that I have 1.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
All I could add to Kill's post is that I got my Darwin last April and will not go back to a Variable Voltage mod as my main vape....I have several Variable Voltage mods but they are just my back-up devices....I am spoiled to the Variable Wattage Darwin....(oh,by the way, there are alot of video reviews on the Darwin, and I have only seen one video reviewer slam the Darwin)..

Like Kill said..."it all will come down to is whether or not YOU like it "...

Last edited:

SAX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Austin, TX
I will put in my :2c: here as well. It is the first set it and forget it MOD out there. I have the new blue screen model and it really rocks! I have a GG MOD that is my back up and when the Kick comes out I will be getting one for it. The only problem I see and I hope the kick resolves this is (only having one) because if it ever goes down and I have to send it in...that week would really suck:facepalm:

scinsc

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
USA
Like Scott I hated the power switch at first. I didn’t understand that it was a lever and I kept trying to push it in the middle. It didn’t take long to get used to pushing it along the top edge. Now I think it’s the easiest button to use that I have ever tried. I have also seen comments that it's not good with tanks because you can’t close the arm. I never close the arm on mine till I go to bed at night. I’m getting two full days per charge. Great PV.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
What I find most interesting is that almost no one says anything bad about the Variable Wattage technology....throw almost any atty/carto on it and vape....set it and forget it....and it automatically adjust to changes in the atty/carto ohm ratings...

I like it simple....throw on a carto, vape, top off carto, vape, etc, and charge over night......no batteries to change out....

AND a 2 year warrantee with one year battery warranty.....out of warranty battery replacement is $25.00......again I like it simple...

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
Variable Wattage Rocks!

Improvements? I wouldn't change a thing. That funny looking box is actually quite versitile and lovable. However, I want my back-up to be the Stealthier version that may just become available in 2012 and like many am eager to have the Kick become available. The more VW the better.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
+17 for the D'win. In this wide open world of vaping, it amazes me that we have such incredible choices. In those choices, one device stands heads and shoulders above the crowd. The Darwin, plain and simple. I know that vaping would not be the same with out. Kudos Brandon, and Evolv, a company that is definitely evolving, just as the D'win.

I'm not sure there has ever been a poll, but should there be one someday, those that do not care for the D'win would be few, and far between. All devices are not equal, just as all reviewers are not equal. I heed others advice, but make up my own mind.

The Darwin is certainly a device that holds its value and is much sought after. Those words speak for it, and themselves.

Best wishes to all for a lovely January! MY month. :)

Last edited:

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
Some may not like the Darwins looks but for me rectangular rocks. Unlike a Tube Mod (or your wife) when you lay this bad boy down it stays there and will not roll away from you. I own many MOD's and the Darwin is the only one I have bought more than one of (3 to be exact). As far as Scott's review that is one persons opinion and he is entitled to it but there are many who disagree. If you find the unit is not for you after a few days post it since they sell on the classys rather quickly for about the same as what you will pay for a new one.

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
Very good point, ski. I can't recall seeing any Darwins for sale that hung around with no takers for very long. That almost makes it a risk-free purchase ;-)

Just to keep my recommendation a little more objective, here's a couple of the big negatives for some people:

Somebody mentioned tanks and I can see that being a major drawback for some people. If you are prone to pocket your mod frequently, larger gear like tanks can be problematic. I rarely pocket mine, so in my case it's no hassle to take the tank off when I do, but for some other people it's just not practical.

The other big downside I can see is that the battery isn't really user-replaceable and involves sending the unit in, though the 1 year warranty on the battery (as well as subsequent batteries) does offset this for some

There, now somebody said something negative, I feel better. This was turning into a massive fanboy/girl thread :p

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
Just to chime in (mostly) with what has already been said. VW is the best management of batteries there can be. The first PVs were just a battery and an atty/carto and a switch. There are many variations but at the end of the day, they are all basically the same. PWM is a side improvement, that gave better battery life. The next big step is variable voltage. For the first time, you can tailor the hit to what you want without having to swap parts out to do it. There are many different ways to actually do VV, but the end user result is the same. Variable wattage automatically adjusts the voltage based on the resistance of your atty/carto, your last puff is exactly like the first puff.

Tanks are not good on a Darwin if you want it pocketable, but there are several large/long cartos that hold 3-5 ml of juice. If you don't need to put it in your pocket, tanks are great on a Darwin.

Some do not like the fixed batteries, but I consider it a plus. It always lasts more than I can stay awake, and in my life, I am near power every time I sleep. The ability to plug it in and vape while charging is great, and especially well suited for anyone that spends a lot of time in a vehicle. For my use I do not prefer a separate charger and multiple batteries, and routine disassembly of the device just in normal use. Yes, if the battery fails you are without the device, but that's what backups are for. If you lose it or it is stolen, it is just as gone, keep your last device as a backup!

Battery technology has made huge leaps and bounds in the last 5 years, driven by the boom in cellphones/laptops/netbooks/MyPad devices. Full 2 year warranty on the Darwin and a 1 year battery warranty, I believe the battery is $25 out of warranty.

When I first started vaping, everywhere I went I took spare batteries, bottles of juice, paper clips, multiple atty/cartos, napkins, chargers, and a PT. I may not have had to, but I kept a charger at work, a charger at home, and one in the vehicle. With Darwin my routine is much simpler. I keep a few cartos in my vehicle and at work, and one 3 ml bottle of juice lasts me all day.

There will continue to be improvements in vaping technology; better feeders, more effective battery life, bluetooth MP3 players, MySpaceBook connections, GPS, more display and menu choices and smaller sizes. The form factor of Darwin is not for some, but performance-wise, it is as good as it gets right now.

EDIT: There are of course, all types. If you like to vape at 10 volts, your (really) big-batt mod will be best for you. Darwin's performance is as good as it gets for most people.

Last edited:

chopperguys

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2011
south jersey NJ USA
I like my Darwin fine, but it spends more time on the shelf than being used. I havent found it to be better than my Helix with a drip shield and a 1.5ohm atty or a 306 1.5ohm atty. Just personal use favorites. Nothing against the Darwin, but its very expensive for no particular reason that I can see.
if you don't want it ill be interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread