The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Constant problems with cartomizers -- please advise

Discussion in 'Cartomizer Issues' started by rshields, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. rshields

rshields Full Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    I am getting very frustrated with my inability to find a cartomizer (and I am using the term pretty loosely here to mean any mechanism of delivering juice to a heated coil). Dripping always works fine but that is simply not feasible most of the time (at work, driving, etc.)

I am not a newbie and have been vaping for almost 2 years now. I used to use 808 CE2's and they worked great, albeit they leaked a lot (something I was willing to tolerate for the great hits). But switched to a 510 unit and then, even with an 808 adapter, I can't find the old CE2's anymore and all the newer stuff has been a miserable failure.

I have found over time that I perceive a significant increase in flavor while using non-filler type devices (CE2, CE3/Phoenix, ViVi Nova, etc.) so I tend to gravitate towards those. But if I could get good consistent results out of a filler type I would gladly do that. To that end I have tried several of the DCT tanks with one, two, and three hole configurations. These all either fail to replenish the filler via the little holes (it goes dry despite the tank being full) or they flood. I cannot find a happy medium with these.

In general, everything I try doesn't feed/wick well and I get lots of burnt hits. The best has been the ViVi Nova v2 with replaceable cores but the performance of the cores has been ridiculously inconsistent, with the vast majority of them not even lasting a day before they stop wicking correctly and I end up with the dreaded burnt hit. Going through 2-3 of these a day is not economically feasible. Heck sometimes they give burnt hits right out of the box.

My juices are not super thick. I use mostly homemade juices and USA Mix from Madvapes. The USA is by far the thickest juice I use and I don't consider that to be too thick. My homemade juices are even less viscous. I just can't understand why I can't find a device that works for at least a few days before wicking fails.

So, all that background was to ask for help in either recommending some better cartomizers or advising me on what I might do to improve the performance of what I have already tried.

2. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    rshields, I am certainly no expert on this stuff and am having my own issues with cartos lately - see my tread titled 'Boge cartos start to flood over time'. Having said that, you don't seem to be getting much response so I thought I would toss in my $0.02.

I never used CE2's. Did a search on them and came up with this on ECF. Please note the thread is from Feb 2012, so the CE2's they talk about may well be the older ones you liked. I really like these clearomizers from HappyVaper - a Canadian vendor. I ordered these from Smoke For Pennys in May this year. At that time they were the same as the ones from HappyVaper, but now they show short wicks and say long wicks, so not sure. I did try a long wick version too and they were garbage - lots of dry hits. I've found the current ones from HappyVaper perform just great for me out of the box. They don't go much over about 4.1 volts, but they produce very well at that or less. They last me about 5 - 10 tanks, depending on the juice, when they start not tasting right and eventually they will dry burn. I take the mouth piece off and remove the silicone cap, rinse with hot water for a minute, immediately dry burn until all coils turn orange, assemble, fill and vape. Like new until they need another cleaning. I would say I get about 8 cleaning cycles from each. I'm using mostly the 70/30 juices from Madvapes.

I'm still waiting for my first Vivi Nova to arrive, so can't comment on that one. People do seem to find them very good.

I'm using Mom and Pop tanks with Boge 2 or 3 ohm cartos. When they work well, I love them. Perform great and last me a couple to a few weeks. The issues I am having with them as per my other thread here, is that they are inconsistent, some are great and some are fine for a few tank fulls and then start flooding - the opposite of what I expect to happen with use and especially so quickly. I'm hoping there is a bit of the Boge-Gate thing happening here and they are better again because I just ordered 25 from Sure Vapes. Guess I'll find out when I get them. I punch generally 2 holes with one of these punches. I make only one hole for a couple of juices I have found this better for. I've had the flooding issue with maybe 3 out of 15 cartos - never had one dry hit unless I used it for way too long. I've never tried dual coils because it just seems to me that it would be harder to keep 2 coils correctly wet than just 1, but that's just me.

My original eGo-C system has always worked well for me too. I still have it my regular rotation. It kinda does everything at least well enough, but doesn't excel at anything either. The atties also need to be cleaned often or you will have to replace them often and they get expensive at $5 a pop. Having said that, they do not ever flood or go dry when they are not clogged up.

Then there are all those general things to watch for which I'm sure you already know. Too much power to the delivery system will help make it go dry. Thick or thin juices affect this, as you said. The orientation of the device when you vape affects delivery - Bottom coils feed more when you hold the pv upright, top coils horizontal or battery high. I have found orientation can also affect my carto tanks, especially if I don't fill over halfway. I can dry out a slightly flooded cart by holding it so the juice does not cover the carto holes when drawing on it. Small changes of orientation have sometimes made a significant difference for me.

Well, I hope something I've said helps you out, at least a bit. Don't get too discouraged, I know you will figure things out! Best of luck.

3. rshields

rshields Full Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    bigsmke, can you recommend a good source for the Boge cartos you have been using in your Mom and Pop tanks?

Thanks.

4. jamentertainment

jamentertainment Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 4, 2011
    rhode island
    Vaporbeast.com.....great service, has always sent me free samples..they sell boges and all different cartos, I order every month, and its 3 day shipping 90% of the time..I have been using the vivi nova..With any boge I would only get 2 maybe 3 weeks out of it in a tank..I am over a month with the same head on the nova

5. iamme123

iamme123 Full Member

You could always make the jump to a genesis. Once you get them figured out they performance is pretty stelar. When I'm not using my geny I reach for my SR kanger T2 from canvape. I vape on 100% vg only (personal preference reasons) and I rarely get any wicking issues beyond the common issues that effect top fed clearos(Ie tipping when the tank is low to avoid dry hit). The coils are really consistent. Ive gone through quite a few and haven't had a DOA head yet and they tend to last about a week (even with 100%vg) until the coil gurgles and mutes the flavor. And at about 1.29 from canvape you can afford to replace them almost everyday.

6. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I buy them from Sure Vapes - Best price I've found anywhere at just under a buck a piece. But as I said, they have not been perfect for me and I'm *hoping* the ones I just bought will be better.

7. salemgold

salemgold ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 5, 2010
    South Carolina
    I am using the XL SS LR from Surevapes and they are working fine. I just wanted to say that I have never found a cE or clear type non filler carto that did not mute the flavor until I recently tried a Kanger T3 Bottom Coil. They are easy to fill straight from the bottle, no syringe needed and have great flavor. They also have replaceable heads and are easy to clean. The only draw back that I have found is that they are only good for using at 4.2V and below. They hold 3ml of liquid which is also a nice bonus. They are Ego threaded so if you have a 510 connector on your PV, you would need a 510-Ego adapter.

I got mine at Stormys Vapor Cellar but they are also available at Ivape in colors, Litecig USA and Discount Vapor. Good luck and hang in there.

code 10off gives you 10% off and they also have a new carto that is supposed to be awesome called Cloud Maker I have not tried it yet.

http://stormysvaporcellar.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=29&products_id=829&zenid=db8777491cc79a1620f4ba6186b9a83e

http://stormysvaporcellar.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=29&products_id=876

8. lynch

lynch Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Lynchburg,Va
  9. zapped

zapped Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

DITCH the Boges, thats your problem.

Try some Smoktechs or some Ikenvape Platinums.Ive been hearing a ton of issues with Boges lately on the forums

10. josho

josho Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 27, 2012
    CA
    Any other vendors that sell the ikenvape cartos other than ikenvape? Looks like they're fresh outta stock of the 510 STD prepunched.

11. Cknine

Cknine Full Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Toronto, ON, CANADA
    I use Smoktech in my DCT and have had variable but mostly good results. The first few were great and lasted more than two weeks going through about 2 mL of juice/day. These were 3 hole 1.7 ohm. Then I had a few that flooded all the time so I went to two hole. That worked well but only lasted about a week. Ok I can live with that. Right now I am using a one hole and I don't notice a difference from the two hole. I am using 33% VG at 3.9V.

12. denali_41

denali_41 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Over Der
    have you tried the kangers yet ?? horizontal coil and flavor production is incredible !! they put the boge "fusions" to shame !!

some people say they get a nasty first hit,,that is from not getting the carto 100% juiced up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.