Contact Micro Coils Vs Spaced Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
I have a question for those who use an APV and have observed space coils fouling wicks slower than non-spaced coils. When you switch between the two are you running them at the same power level?

On a mech this is more difficult since spaced coils are generally going to be less ohms than non-spaced if using the same width coil because you're using less wire.

atroph

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
Also a smaller coil will hold its shape together better without a torch than larger one. I found that my 1.95mm coils have quite the spring to them when I let go if the wrap. Drop down to 1.59 or 1.18 mm and they seem to stay together better before I insert them into the atty. Thats just me though.

Also OP. This thread needs a poll.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Don't wick it jus connect the leads and leave off the collector top cup and you still have access to the coil
In all honesty, my personal experience sais that with kanger heads you're better off with freehand coils tight on two pieces of silica strings. I never could wick full contact coils properly with silica in a kanger head and never tried cotton or rayon on them.

But as said above... Anything Is possible :)

Regards
Tony

Sent from my GT-I9195 through Tapatalk

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
I have a question for those who use an APV and have observed space coils fouling wicks slower than non-spaced coils. When you switch between the two are you running them at the same power level?

On a mech this is more difficult since spaced coils are generally going to be less ohms than non-spaced if using the same width coil because you're using less wire.
Actually, once I fix a coil on a deck the Ohms don't change regardless of compressing them or not. I always wondered why...?

Regards
Tony

etherealink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2013
Junction, IL
Also a smaller coil will hold its shape together better without a torch than larger one. I found that my 1.95mm coils have quite the spring to them when I let go if the wrap. Drop down to 1.59 or 1.18 mm and they seem to stay together better before I insert them into the atty. Thats just me though.

Also OP. This thread needs a poll.
Sounds like several, ideas on how to do them on ECF? Or better on an outside site?

atroph

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
I'll do an experiment with wire to figure out why touching coils are not a dead short across the entire thing. I believe that the wire is similar to oven elements and the outer layer doesn't short if it comes in contact with another element. It may have to do with the dry-burn process that creates some kind of skin. Should be easy to replicate with some wire, a fluke meter, and a torch.

Test complete. Hmm seems as if there is no difference when I have two wires wrapped together torched vs un torched. My best guess is that the wires don't actually touch well enough within the coil especially when heated to change the resistance.

Last edited:

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
I used contact micros for a long time and recently converted to spaced micros. I wrap the same coil, about 1/16" of 28ga Kanthal at 1 ohm wicked with rayon for use on a mech, but now I stretch it out on the nail and squeeze it back together, which has it spring back out creating small and fairly uniform gaps.

The reason I tried gaps is I vape gunky NETs and heard of reports of it gunking slower than a contact coil. Turned out for me that it's absolutely the case, when using rayon anyways. A dirty NET that before would gunk a coil to a point of being unusable after 2ml on a contact coil has been able to go 4+ml on my new spaced micros. Quite a drastic difference that others had reported but I didn't believe until trying it myself.

I have no idea why this is the case, but it was easily provable for myself. If someone knows the science behind the mechanics it would be interesting, because it's a mystery to me. I previously noticed that rayon gunks slower on a contact micro than the KGD cotton I used to use (no idea why that is either) but the result was more drastic moving to spaced coils.

As far as quality of vape and heat up time, surprisingly I'm not really noticing an obvious difference. The vape is basically the same, but now I dry burn less. If someone vapes clean juices I don't see any reason to switch from one style to another, but if someone uses contact coils and dry burns a lot they may want to try spaced. Just small gaps works for me.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
There are subtle diferences but probably not noticeable.

For example, I have 100ft of 0.3mm kanthal (29 gauge) but for some reason I can't explain, I like twisted 32 gauge better?

They should be almost on par but the twists seem to produce a thicker, more satisfying vape.

In all honesty I would prefer using my 29 gauge but it's not the same...

Oh and both are full contact coils

I even tried parallel side-by-side 32 gauge wire full contact and it's not the same as twisted

Regards
Tony

Last edited:

atroph

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
What about scorching them (the wraps) with a file? Maybe the wire has some protective coat on it...?

Regards
Tony

Nope just did another test. If I squeeze the wraps with a set of pliers the resistance will indeed change to something lower than what is actually there. Same thing happens when I use my fingers so it is not the metal pliers causing the difference. The wires within the wraps must have a miniscule opening in between the wraps. I wrapped these super tight and only got a lower ohm reading when I actually put pressure on the coil.

Lol just googled it. Kanthal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For heating, resistance wire must be stable in air when hot. Kanthal FeCrAl alloy forms a protective layer of aluminum oxide (alumina).[1] Aluminium oxide is an electrical insulator but has a relatively high thermal conductivity; special techniques may be required to make good electrical connections.

I guess torquing them down in attys or the relatively long connections in clearos makes them have a "good" electrical connection.

I don't think it is a coating, but more a lack of conductivity of the wire itself. It is resistance wire after all :)

Last edited:
Reactions: David Wolf

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
There are subtle diferences but probably not noticeable.
For example, I have 100ft of 0.3mm kanthal (29 gauge) but for some reason I can't explain, I like twisted 32 gauge better?
They should be almost on par but the twists seem to produce a thicker, more satisfying vape.
In all honesty I would prefer using my 29 gauge but it's not the same...
Oh and both are full contact coils
I even tried parallel side-by-side 32 gauge wire full contact and it's not the same as twisted
I can only offer a theory: Twisted has more surface area, and it has little gaps that make it easy for juice to flow from the inside of the coil (where the wick is) to the outside, thus keeping the outside of the coil wetter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread