Cotton Bacon Prime!

Status
Not open for further replies.

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Apalachicola, FL, United States
I’m not personally a believer in cotton bacon. IMHO Cotton is cotton is cotton. If I wanted long fibers I’d go with a rayon spoil myself.
This is one of those things subject to taste though so many will differ.
Yup, different strokes and all. I’ve been using CB so long, I’ve just become very comfortable with it and it’s nuances.

I am intrigued by the “faster wicking” claim. If it should prove true, I’ll definitly be giving it a spin in an rta or three.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I’m not personally a believer in cotton bacon. IMHO Cotton is cotton is cotton. If I wanted long fibers I’d go with a rayon spoil myself.
This is one of those things subject to taste though so many will differ.

Yeah I know what you mean, I've tried a lot of different wicking material and I'm mostly with Koh gen Do with an occasional Native Wicks Platinum. The so called "zero break in" is such a myth, there's always a bit of a break in period and for the cost plus ease of use I stick with KGD.

As far as Rayon goes, I can't stand it and yes I did it right and gave it a good effort but contrary to the hype it also has a taste and I can't stand it. Along with the dry throat it gives along with if you ever are unfortunate to get a dry or burnt hit it's the most vomit inducing experience ever.

Yup, different strokes and all. I’ve been using CB so long, I’ve just become very comfortable with it and it’s nuances.

I am intrigued by the “faster wicking” claim. If it should prove true, I’ll definitely be giving it a spin in an RTA or three.

I'd say the "faster wicking" is marketing hype, but I'll more than likely try it just to form my own opinion of it. For me Koh gen Do wicks more than fast enough along with I'm also comfortable with it's nuances.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
^^^ IMO there is a clear difference in break in time between CB and KGD. For me, it’s like 1-4 vs 6-8 hits, respectively. My package of Prime comes in on Tuesday - not expecting a drastic difference, but if there’s a noticeable improvement, then hey...
After I juice my coils I always fire them a few times before I assemble everything so it's mostly negligible.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Ivan6Two

Verified Member
Jan 15, 2018
NoVA
Not going to be an in-depth review - I’ll save that for the pros and enthusiasts. Dimensions of each strip are roughly the same. To the touch the Prime feels ‘more dense,’ and it doesn’t have that silky feel that the v2 does. What that means for performance? I can’t say. I wicked some up in a dripper, and well... it works just fine.

Last edited:

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
CelluCotton (Rayon) was a total fail for my uses.

My first choice for years has been RxW. But I have been using CBV2 for my 'cotton' wicks in the gear I ran cotton in since it came out (retired the KGD). No issues at all with it for me... and I have a large stash of it. So doubt I'll bother with a so called new/improved version of it. I already have mountains of wick materials around here (going back up to 5 years) that is no longer used for vaping.

Rcon

Aug 11, 2016
I've been using Prime this week. It feels slightly courser, spongier and less "fluffy" than v2 and as a result felt a little bit easier and quicker to pick off the right amount, handle and shape. I use the SXK Doggystyle tanks exclusively now and because that tank is so good it's been a long time since I had a dry hit or poor flavour, so it's hard to tell (at this early stage at least) if the flavour or wicking is actually improved over v2, but it's certainly on par at the very least - I didn't notice any break in, but then I never do with v2.

Not an earth shattering improvement thus far, but it didn't cost me any more than regular v2 so I will keep using it for the handling benefits alone.

Reactions: stols001

Rcon

Aug 11, 2016
Yeah, sorry I should have mentioned MTL (low watts) as that is very relevant to any wicking performance. Martin, for the Doggy I use 28awg Kanthal, 2.5mm-D, 6 wraps (slightly spaced and raised), 1.1ohm, light wicking, 10+ watts. Over the past several months I have tried every other combination of coil size and wraps (1.0ohm+) and I always come back to this build - amazing flavour for me.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I've been using Prime this week. It feels slightly courser, spongier and less "fluffy" than v2 and as a result felt a little bit easier and quicker to pick off the right amount, handle and shape. I use the SXK Doggystyle tanks exclusively now and because that tank is so good it's been a long time since I had a dry hit or poor flavour, so it's hard to tell (at this early stage at least) if the flavour or wicking is actually improved over v2, but it's certainly on par at the very least - I didn't notice any break in, but then I never do with v2.

Not an earth shattering improvement thus far, but it didn't cost me any more than regular v2 so I will keep using it for the handling benefits alone.
It is easier to pull off the right amount, for some reason. Density? Maybe, as i find it a bit different myself. Does it wick faster? Cant tell. Maybe. Seems to soak up priming juice a little better, almost like a sponge compared to the old version.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Was never all that thrilled with Cotton Bacon V2 and loved my Koh gen Do. But after a few weeks with CB Prime I believe my trusty and faithful KGD is going to be retired for Cotton Bacon Prime, yeah I've really been digging it. I like the way it wicks and performs. The only thing I dislike about it that they pre-cut the strips, I hate that but I can put up with it.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Was never all that thrilled with Cotton Bacon V2 and loved my Koh gen Do. But after a few weeks with CB Prime I believe my trusty and faithful KGD is going to be retired for Cotton Bacon Prime, yeah I've really been digging it. I like the way it wicks and performs. The only thing I dislike about it that they pre-cut the strips, I hate that but I can put up with it.
Precut strips, yeah. But they dont skimp on ya. Theres plenty in the pouch to go around.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
It seems I am spoiled by rayon. I still try different cottons from time to time (local shops like to give samples) but always end up less than satisfied. After learning to wick rayon properly, I never have any discoloration or burning to the wicks like I do with cotton. This CB prime had me thinking it may change my mind, but it still acted basically the same as the rest, had to change wicks before the coils were even close to needing a burnoff (which never happens with rayon), so it was a no-go for me, sadly.

But I am glad to hear that some of your are getting some joy out of it. It will be on my recommend list for those who dislike rayon.

dems86

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA, US
As someone who has been using KGD for almost my entire relationship with vaping, your experience reinforces my recent decision to order a bag of CB Prime to try out.

;)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread