cotton bacon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Hello deadfly00, I can recommend a single coil rebuildable to start with. As trying to get two coils and two lots of wicking working right can be a total nightmare, might venture there in the future but a single coil and wick works well for me.

Geekvape Ammit 25, is easy to coil. But getting it wicked right seems like a dark art.

Digiflavor Pharoah Mini, never used but looks nice and easy to work with. Dual clamps make things much easier when it comes to coiling.

As for cotton, I use Muji and Koh Gen Do cotton pads. It's something that you'll have to experiment with as they all wick differently and some also have a taste to them that you have to run your liquid through for a bit of a while before it disappears. But also, you could always look at what gives you the best value and vape.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Zeus single coil deck is easy peasy to build on and wick and the flavor is fantastic. Another one that was suggested to me was the OBS Engine Nano also easy to build on although I prefer the Zeus.

A lot of people myself included prefer rayon over cotton. It can be found on Amazon but double check that it’s rayon and not a blend. There’s a thread on the wonders of rayon on this forum just do a Search and it will pop up.

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/rayon-questions.878825/page-

Graham Cellucotton Beauty Coil 100 Rayon Fibers 40 ft 44130

And you can get kanthal wire if your just going to use Power mode. I use stainless steel 316L because I also use Temp Control mode. There are other wires available but my suggestion is to keep it simple to start off with.

The gauge of the wire will be dictated at what ohms you want your builds to be at. I usually vape at 0.3 to 0.6 ohms and use mostly 26 and 28 gauge round ss316L wire. The 26g is easier to work with with imo.

You’ll need a few other items. Instead of buying all the tools singularly I purchased a Coil Master kit that came with everything I needed.

And familiarize yourself with Steam Engine. It will calculate how many wraps you’ll need depending on the data you enter in to it. Google search Steam Engine and play around with different gauges and wraps to get an idea of what wire would work best for you.
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

It’s a lot of fun so good luck!!

Sara

Reactions: Jebbn

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I personally can’t tell the difference between cotton bacon and dime store cotton balls. The only difference is you have to unroll the cotton balls. This is one of those YMMV things. I’ve been slowly using up a big bag of muji myself. I may be able to try rayon sometime next year. The biggest problem I’ve found with rayon is it only seems to come in “multiple lifetime supply” sizes in my area. I’m not going to drop $20 on that much rayon till I’ve used up what I got. I’ve heard good things about it though.

Cotton is so cheap you can buy overpriced cotton and it doesn’t really matter though.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
I personally can’t tell the difference between cotton bacon and dime store cotton balls. The only difference is you have to unroll the cotton balls. This is one of those YMMV things. I’ve been slowly using up a big bag of muji myself. I may be able to try rayon sometime next year. The biggest problem I’ve found with rayon is it only seems to come in “multiple lifetime supply” sizes in my area. I’m not going to drop $20 on that much rayon till I’ve used up what I got. I’ve heard good things about it though.

Cotton is so cheap you can buy overpriced cotton and it doesn’t really matter though.

I used cotton balls during my first year of vaping. Like you I could not find any difference and definitely not a notable gain in flavor. When cotton bacon came out with the prime I noticed that the cotton was a lot denser than store bought cotton balls. I find it offers better flavor now and use it along with Native Wicks Platinum(NWP) blend cotton. The NWP stuff can be frustrating, it's kind of a knotted mess that causes me to waste a lot. Also, this brand can have strands going in various directions and when you try to pull it through the coil it's not abnormal for it to break in two while inside the coil.

Either way, whichever brand I use, I waste so much cotton I could have dressed half the nation's homeless populations with sweaters.

swampcrawler

Apr 26, 2019
I agree that starting with round wire is cheapest and easiest. 24 and/or 26 AWG kanthal or N80. But if you’re like me you will quickly get jealous of the vapor production and flavor of folks running fused Clapton builds. You can buy fused Clapton premade wire or buy some core and wrap wire (say 24ga n80 and 38 ga n80), build a swivel stand and get a drill and wrap your own. Quite easy and satisfying really.

As for wicks, cotton bacon is all I’ve ever used and it works well. I tried Rayon but it tastes like a sock full of sawdust to me. I just ordered some PUFF cotton pads to try out.

The only RTA I have is my Hive 28mm. It’s a real pain to get wicking just right. I hear many of them are like this. If your juice flow is blocked by too much cotton you get dry hits. Too little and it leaks. But man when it’s right, it’s really the .....

Maybe try an RDA rather than RTA. Pretty hard to screw up a dripper!!

Reactions: Mordacai

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Some cotton will have a strong taste that lingers after you wick it. Cotton Bacon has no flavor. The fibers are aligned and it comes in the right length for dual wicks. A single package will last for dozens of rewicks. I used CB for a long time with my RTA. As I kept installing bigger coils I eventually ran into the limitation of cotton being prone to scorching, then had to upgrade to rayon.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio

I paid $4 for a small cotton bacon, thinking, this’ll be enough to get me started. It lasted a year.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I guess with cotton bacon you’re basically buying the ziplock bag. There’s an argument for that I guess.

I tried cotton balls but they were frustrating for me. Bacon may not be the cheapest way to go. And my second packet only lasted half a year ( I have done a lot of experimenting with RBAs lately) but even so, it’s not breaking the bank.

Reactions: Jebbn

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
coton baccon, well, is a pretty usual item or brand, i do love it and stick with it after tried:
Kendo, muji, cloudkicker and plenty others, Cotton baccon is pretty available and decently priced,

A god deck to start with, well, thats a complicated question, not all have the same capacity but as others stated zeus single is amazing and easy to work with, so is paraoh, look at some single coil units and get the one that likes you the most,

Wire: start with khantal a1, easy to work with, so is ni80, i love and use mostly these 2,

Regards,

Vape Muppet

Apr 12, 2019
UK
I use Muji and also Cotton Bacon v2. I have also tried Kendo cotton. Cotton bacon is great for RDA's and wicks very efficiently plus a new wick has no aftertaste. Only issue with it is the strips tend to disintegrate if you try to make thinner strips so you always get random useless left overs in the bag. Muji is easiest to cut into strips and also cheap but leaves a funky taste for the first few vapes. Kendo seems much thicker to me and I need to experiment more with it.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Between the several bags of Cotton Bacon, Native Wicks, cotton balls, huge box of rayon, and a bag of Ko Gen Do pads, I will never run out of wicking material.

For cotton I still go to my bag of organic cotton balls, unroll one ball and cut into three or four equal lengths. Each piece is good for several wicks. It's economical and a bag will last a looong time.

As others have stated, Cotton Bacon is denser, but once wicked I personally cannot tell the difference between the Bacon and the cotton balls.

Pads are nice for getting consistent wicks - once you figure out what size works for you it's easy to repeat by cutting the same width.

Finally, I use a lot of rayon. It tastes a bit funny for the first few vapes but breaks in quickly and lasts a long time. I usually only replace a rayon wick when my coil is crusty, and even then the wick looks like it is still in very good shape.

• Agree
Reactions: P3ch3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread