Cotton comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwhite87

Feb 21, 2015
Norfolk, VA
So I'm used to getting Master coils cotton from my shop down the street from me but since they've been out of stock and don't know when they'll get a new order. The only thing they have right now is fluffy, but with my adaptive needs that's just a pain in the [moderated]. :(

However, I did find Koh Gen Do on Amazon but before I bit the bullet I wanted to know how the two compared. I know everything is personal preference, but help is always welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
By far my favourite cotton is Native Wicks platinum. Amazing stuff.

Generally expensive but you can get a big package of it AND 100 feet of wire from Lightning Vapes for $5-6.

I prefer it to KohGenDo, Cotton Bacon and any other cotton I have tried. I tried Master coils a long time ago and it was good IIRC but nothing that blew my mind.

Worth checking out IMO.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
So I'm used to getting Master Coils cotton from my shop down the street from me but since they've been out of stock and don't know when they'll get a new order. The only thing they have right now is fluffy, but with my adaptive needs that's just a pain in the [moderated]. :(

However, I did find Koh Gen Do on Amazon but before I bit the bullet I wanted to know how the two compared. I know everything is personal preference, but help is always welcome.
In May 2015 I bought the bag of organic cotton linked below. It's formed into little square pads so it's easy to cut the exact amount you want. At the time it cost $5 and included shipping direct from Japan. May be it's a bit more than that now but the bag will last me for years. It's fine. May be there is something better but I wouldn't know because this is the only thing I've used. I guess the idea of organic means no chemicals were used to grow or process it that could linger in the cotton. This stuff was being used for other purposes before vapers came along.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X6PQJ2...lid=1175D1C0HPR2Y&coliid=I3DEUIAIXUT0C3&psc=1

Reactions: dolladave

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I started with organic cotton balls.
Then I found out about Koh Gen Do and for a while used it. Much easier to work with - just cut a piece the size you need. Then I saw how many tiny cotton fibers fly from it when cutting. It has a lot of tiny fibers. Nothing dangerous, but for me it's like a hair in my soup - I just do not like it.
I switched to cotton bacon 2. Not as convenient as Koh Gen Do, but still convenient. Then I paid attention that it has compacted regions, I became curious. Then twice in a row I made bad wicks. I got frustrated, I switched back to cotton balls.
Now I use cotton balls again.
All cottons I have tried worked similar for me. In terms taste-performance I have no preferences. Idiosyncrasy - only it makes a difference (again, from my experience).

Reactions: David Wolf

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA
Then I found out about Koh Gen Do and for a while used it. Much easier to work with - just cut a piece the size you need. Then I saw how many tiny cotton fibers fly from it when cutting. It has a lot of tiny fibers. Nothing dangerous, but for me it's like a hair in my soup - I just do not like it.
I switched to cotton bacon 2. Not as convenient as Koh Gen Do, but still convenient. Then I paid attention that it has compacted regions, I became curious. Then twice in a row I made bad wicks. I got frustrated, I switched back to cotton balls.
All cottons I have tried worked similar for me. In terms taste-performance I have no preferences. Idiosyncrasy - only it makes a difference (again, from my experience).
I've been using organic cotton balls myself lately..I like it so far..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
I started with organic cotton balls. Then the KGD stuff, didn't like it.

Graduated to rayon several years ago and have ever since. I supply 3 vapers and dished out countless samples. Probably have at least 3 or 4 more years worth.

I have all kinds of cotton bacon samples from different tops. Never used.

Whatever you like is the right stuff!

Dwhite87

Feb 21, 2015
Norfolk, VA
https://www.amazon.com/Koh-Gen-Do-P...d=1481402088&sr=8-18&keywords=japanese+cotton
I know for the same price I could just get 80 sheets but there's something about having a physical box with the sheets that makes me feel they'd keep their shape better. I still have the MC bags+ a few baggies. I'm sure I can ask my shop keep to hold on to a few of his own for me too. Moreover I'm in between moves too.

I know cotton should be fluffed, but the flatter/neater the square is the easier I can see where to cut. I always use my Swiss Army knife as a guide and roll a whole strip into a coil. Ahh...the joy of CP... :p

Reactions: Str8vision

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I started with organic cotton balls, tried cotton bacon and a few other types/forms of cotton. All were a bit troublesome separating the right amount to use and getting most of the fibers running in the desired direction. Tried rayon cellucotton, hemp and other wicking materials but didn't care for them. Then I tried Koh Gen Do pads (Japanese cotton) and really liked it but had a difficult time obtaining them a couple years ago so I tried the large Cotton Labo organic Cotton Puffs (also Japanese cotton) and have been using them ever since, no pesticides, chemicals or bleach. The thing I like most about Japanese cotton (Koh Gen Do, Muji, Labo etc..) is the fibers run in a single direction, in my opinion it wicks better and provides outstanding flavor. I vape NETs exclusively (notoriously hard on wicks/coils) build at 0.4 ohms (45 - 50 watts) and use high VG juice, never a dry hit. Takes less than a minute to cut each pad into strips just the right size for my coils and the pre-cut strips store well. Another benefit is a $5 bag (120 pads) will last a typical vaper for decades. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TCEXOS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_43?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A816C8DTS12D8

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I have a wicking drawer in my desk. It has some cotton bacon (fine, but...), some rayon (love it, but almost too fluffy), some peaches and cream organic yarn (Kayfuns and cores of SS wick in gennies), silica (unused anymore), cotton balls (Walgreen's organic... easy and available), some Native wicks, some Labo Puffs JOC.

Honestly, if I had to choose ONLY one, I would probably pick the Labo Puffs... good stuff, and inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...7831&sr=8-2&keywords=labo+puffs&pi=SY200_QL40

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
Last edited:
Reactions: Eskie

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
So I'm used to getting Master Coils cotton from my shop down the street from me but since they've been out of stock and don't know when they'll get a new order. The only thing they have right now is fluffy, but with my adaptive needs that's just a pain in the [moderated]. :(

By far my favourite cotton is Native Wicks platinum. Amazing stuff.

Generally expensive but you can get a big package of it AND 100 feet of wire from Lightning Vapes for $5-6.

I prefer it to KohGenDo, Cotton Bacon and any other cotton I have tried. I tried Master Coils a long time ago and it was good IIRC but nothing that blew my mind.

Worth checking out IMO.

I love Koh gen Do, pretty much all I use. I do like Native Wicks Platinum for the premium vape specific cotton, but prefer Koh gen Do. I've tried a vary wide variety of wicking material, Rayon (don't like the taste and working with it), Elfwick which is degummed hemp fiber (major PiA to work with), Cotton Balls (PiA to work with), Cotton Bacon (it's OK, over hyped IMO), Pima Cotton (It's OK, expensive) and a number of others.

Koh gen Do is my mainstay, love it. Easy to work with, very inexpensive, no nasty flavor, very short break in period, very fluffy, it's awesome.

Reactions: Str8vision

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
...The thing I like most about Japanese cotton (Koh Gen Do, Muji, Labo etc..) is the fibers run in a single direction...
I doubt it. Not really in the same direction, especially underlying fibers. Yes, fibers do have predominant direction, but the same is true for cotton balls.
Cotton under electron microscope
Do not know if direction is of real importance. Metal mesh makes a good wick...

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I have used all sorts of cotton. I don't see a lot of difference in the flavor of any of them. It's more a matter of how easy it is for you to work with, and getting the correct size piece for your coil. Some seem to take a bit longer to break in, but after that, they're all about the same, at least for me. I used KGD pads for a long time, and still have a box. I also have used a lot of Cotton Bacon. Recently, I picked up a pack of Native Wicks Platinum, just on a whim, and I really like it.

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hit your link- says i purchased on April 17,,just so i can cut it straight..

April 17... Of what Year?

A Big Bag of those Cotton Pads sure does Last a Long Time. I'm about 1/4 of the way down on the 1st Bag I bought. And that was like 2 1/2 Years ago.

LOL

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
BTW - For anyone using Cotton Pads and also buys stuff from Fasttech.

These containers are Perfect for storing a Couple of Cotton Pads at a time.

1440326-2.jpg

$1.86 Plastic Storage Box for Gadgets - white at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

And it is Easy to Trim the Hang Tab off with a Knife if you want to go for the Uncluttered look.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Best way to zero in on the best cotton, or any other wicking material for you: Try vaping some unflavored juice with each one. Take note of how long it takes to break in, or if there's any lingering taste that seems to be inparted by the material, how long it holds up before needing rewicking, and how quickly it saturates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread