Not open for further replies.

Soignee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Austin>SWFL
plus.google.com
That's what got me, I started using those Efests (blech) before I Noaloxed/Deoxit and got some bad arc burns. Dremel sorted that out but been using the AW's for a few days now shorter button throw and no arcing what so ever and they are untreated. Pwheeler showed me the light on those when we met up at the vape summit.

Awesome. RTD is gonna love me...even more.

Just say no to efests. Just too much bait and switch.

Now that we've completely derailed this thread into a battery thread (good job bro)...I'm off to bed. Last set of Y soccer games in the morning...:toast:

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
Awesome. RTD is gonna love me...even more.

Just say no to efests. Just too much bait and switch.

Now that we've completely derailed this thread into a battery thread (good job bro)...I'm off to bed. Last set of Y soccer games in the morning...:toast:

I was just about to say the same, gotta get to the PO to send off some NT fam vape mail tomorrow. Catch ya on the forums tomorrow brother. :thumb:

danibanani

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
i'm a bit late to the game but 500' of rayon?

"i'm used to the cotton taste" - oooo kay!

How about something that lasts months, can be blowtorched to new, where a dry hit is not the end of a wick...
Something so easy to fit that you just screw it into your coil?

Readywick or RxW.

T
T, just purchased some help. Pretty excited about it with your review. Only ordered 2ft. because of the price.

Thanks,
Dani

Last edited:

danibanani

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
Oh, Penguiness, I so wish I would have waited for you to reply. :(

Do you think the stuff I ordered that supertrucker recommended will work with the 3mm coils you recommended? I already ordered the 2mm :(

Here is what I ordered: READYxWICK® ~ Premium Soft Ceramic Wick

I absolutely love ReadyXwick. I would rather use that than anything else. To use it, you will want to insert something small inside the piece of wick that you cut and wrap your coil around it. Don't try to thread it through the wick. You will end up with frayed ends that have to be cut off (wasting the expensive wick) and very frustrated. I use one of the really long sewing straight pins with the yellow ball end. You can use a large needle of any kind. You will need 14 wraps each coil for 2mm.

You can use only one coil in that RDA. You do not have to use 2 coils. If you opt for one coil, you will make 7 wraps for one coil only. When you have 2 coils, you have to double the amount of wraps on each coil. In other words: single coil only 7 wraps. Dual coil 14 wraps each coil.

Edit: the smallest diameter "rod" in the coiling gizmo you ordered is good for inserting into the ReadyXwick and then manually wrapping your coil around the ReadyXwick. You don't want to make a 3mm coil and put the 2mm wick inside it. This wick does best with the coil snug around it. It is ok that there will be space left inside the wick when you remove the wire or pin. The wick will still be snug inside the coil. A 3mm coil with 2mm wick allows too much space and your wicking won't be as effective.

Last edited:

built4feel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
South Central PA, USA
Here's the organic ... cotton I use (which is near-identical to KGD):
http://www.amazon.com/Cotton-Labo-ORGANIC-Puff-200pc/dp/B000TCD51A
200 pads for $7.50.... (ships from chinatown though...I got mine within ~2 weeks)

Since getting rxw though, I haven't used anything else ...I haven't needed to build another coil/rewick since...

I decided to go the route of building the coil first, and then "screw" the the wick in, after checking the ohms and firing the coil to check/get rid of hot spots... which is important...
I use the second smallest rod in the artistic wire coil gizmo, which is a little larger than 1/16"- a perfect fit for the 2mm RxW... I like using the coil gizmo jig, because its easy, and it makes a perfect tensioned contact micro coil.
I then cut the wick in a 45 degree angle, with wire cutters (alternatively, you can use nail clippers - preferably new ones, lol)... Then I turn the wick in the direction of the coil wraps, until it catches and keep turning it until its through enough and then trim it... then I insert the smallest rod, that comes with the coil gizmo, into the center of the Rxw, and gently slide it all the way through, to open up the center all the way- its like a garden hose... this method is easy IMO, and works great...whatever works for you though.. here's a pic on how to cut/screw it into an already wrapped coil:

Trick is to cut the 2mm wick on an angle. Study the wraps in the coil and think of the wraps like threads in a nut. You want to twist the wick like it's a bolt going into the threads of a nut. If you twist with the wraps of the coil they pull it through, if you twist the wrong direction then the wraps will try to push the wick back at you.

Look at the leg on the bottom of this coil. If you twist in a clockwise direction, the leg will help tuck the ends in and the wraps will pull it in. Remember it's not always clockwise I could have the wraps going the other way depending on how I make the coil.

IMAG2146_1-L.jpg

I think that this way, there are less things to go wrong: hand-wrapping too tight will destroy the Rxw fibers.. hand-wrapping too loose, will not get a good, snug fit, which will not be the best vape possible...If you are an experienced coil builder, or just very good with kanthal, maybe your results will be great (and I hope they are) on your first try...

Here is a link to a (reo) thread about Rxw, and it is where I learned and got the most up-to-date help:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/539791-readyxwick-non-cotton-people-132.html

Here's how I wrap/install coils:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XLIHmm5p2Y&list=UULWoUhjf61yHLlCuRfOHPuQ

Just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone new who wants more info, thats readily available, and what has worked easily, for me...

Oh and for anyone who wants to use the 3mm RxW, and wrap the coil first, 2.5mm is probably the perfect size diameter (to wrap the coil around). I received more than a few 2.5mm rods from a generous ECF'er, so if you want one PM me.

Last edited:

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
I think that this way, there are less things to go wrong: hand-wrapping too tight will destroy the Rxw fibers.. hand-wrapping too loose, will not get a good, snug fit, which will not be the best vape possible...If you are an experienced coil builder, or just very good with kanthal, maybe your results will be great (and I hope they are) on your first try...

Excellent post. For me, to avoid the "too loose, too tight" problems I insert a large needle or small blunt-tip Luer lock needle inside the Rxw before wrapping my coil. When I remove the needle it is perfect in the loose fit (but not too loose). The needle also helps keep the wick stiff for good wrapping.

Your method looks like something I should try.

TraceyS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Blacksburg, Virginia
Excellent post. For me, to avoid the "too loose, too tight" problems I insert a large needle or small blunt-tip Luer lock needle inside the Rxw before wrapping my coil. When I remove the needle it is perfect in the loose fit (but not too loose). The needle also helps keep the wick stiff for good wrapping.

Your method looks like something I should try.

that is the method that works for me also. I love the readyXwick for sure

Tracey

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
I highly recommend making the coil first and then cutting the wick at an angle and screwing it in gently.

Do have a look at the link BFF posted. The expense of the RxW (it's not cheap - about a dollar an inch :blink: )is balanced by how long it lasts. If you wrap directly onto the wick you will destroy it.

I use the 2mm in RM2's and for dual coil builds in Atomics/RM4's. I use the 3mm in bigger 22mm cloud chasing atties and it's quite capable of feeding liquid to those coils as fast as i need.

T

Last edited:

Soignee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Austin>SWFL
plus.google.com
I highly recommend making the coil first and then cutting the wick at an angle and screwing it in gently.

Do have a look at the link BFF posted. The expense of the RxW (it's not cheap - about a dollar an inch :blink: )is balanced by how long it lasts. If you wrap directly onto the wick you will destroy it.

I use the 2mm in RM2's and for dual coil builds in Atomics/RM4's. I use the 3mm in bigger 22mm cloud chasing atties and it's quite capable of feeding liquid to those coils as fast as i need.

T

So, ST (or any RxW user) when you are blow torching wick to clean it, do you unwrap the old coil, torch it and twist it back into a fresh coil? This would be after dry burning has left it nasty...

Megan Kogijiki Ratchford

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2013
Arvada, CO
So, ST (or any RxW user) when you are blow torching wick to clean it, do you unwrap the old coil, torch it and twist it back into a fresh coil? This would be after dry burning has left it nasty...

Nope, you fire the coil which cleans the wick as well. You leave it in. ;)

Soignee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Austin>SWFL
plus.google.com
I guess I'm not picturing this well in my mind.
Is it sufficient enough to simply dry burn the coil and clean the wick or does the wick eventually need to be blow torched?
(That might be a better way to ask):)

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
i save the wick and ditch the coils. I have never found all that dry-burning and cleaning of coils to be an effective use of my time, since i can make new ones in 5 minutes. i put the wick on a needle and gently blowtorch it - there's something about it turning back to white that satisfies the child in me.

T

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
Is it sufficient enough to simply dry burn the coil and clean the wick or does the wick eventually need to be blow torched?

I know people that just dry burn the coil with the wick in place quite happily, but i miss the popping from a new coil and so i change mine about once every 2 weeks. Blowtorching is just faster then wearing out batteries to do the job.

T

Soignee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Austin>SWFL
plus.google.com

i save the wick and ditch the coils. I have never found all that dry-burning and cleaning of coils to be an effective use of my time, since i can make new ones in 5 minutes. i put the wick on a needle and gently blowtorch it - there's something about it turning back to white that satisfies the child in me.

T

I think I've got it...either way works. My OCD says take it off, but my Lazy says leave it on :D

built4feel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
South Central PA, USA
I think I've got it...either way works. My OCD says take it off, but my Lazy says leave it on :D

Right. So far, I haven't taken mine out (or even touched it) or blowtorched it. I run mine lightly under warm water, then dry burn. I use a small handheld fan while doing this, to keep the coil/wick from getting too hot. This stuff can withstand heat, but pulsing a coil till its red/orange, multiple times will eventually melt to wick, if you aren't careful at keeping it cooled off... Even though the wick isnt sparkly white, it still wicks and vapes like new, after a rinse/dryburn. I do this about every other day, depending on the juice.

Here's a great write up on how to clean PT heads that are build with RxW. I basically use the same procedure, minus the soaking part...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...826-care-feeding-your-t-m-c.html#comment12355

Check out his other posts too: Mac is a good resource for this type of stuff... ;)

69CamaroSS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2014
Upstate, SC, USA
Looking like I'm gonna have to jump on the RxW bandwagon as well after reading this thread! :facepalm: It sure sounds like the way to go for my Magma and Taifun GT....heck, it may even resurrect my Prometheus that I've not been so fond of!! Still dying to try the Kayfun Lite+ to compare to the Taifun GT (which I love)!

On a side note about torching: there's factory some long wick (silica, of course) tanks that my wife like to use (Kanger T2, I believe...different company ;)). I rinse and dry burn them, then I simply twist and ease the wick PARTIALLY out of the coil to expose the dark/clogged spot that was inside the coil, torch it back to bright white and re-center it in the coil. If your wick is long enough to do so, it's like re-wicking with a brand new one. She's been HEAVILY using the same coils for several weeks now (on an eGo style battery). :2c: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread